ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn from ECU?

cockyinbluffton

Jan 15, 2009
First and foremost I want to give props to the defense, they are the reason we won that game. Besides getting burned one the first play of the game and the extra short field handed to them by the refs they absolutely shut down ECU's offense. While they have yet to face a high powered SEC offense they are night and day better than what Muschamp has fielded here.

Special Teams was once again special. Between Beamer and Lembo that part of the team has been, while partly expected, a true staple of this team. Juju's kick return just about went to the house. This very well could be a difference maker down the road in close games.

Effort and no quit attitude is something that has been missing since Muschamp took over but I have to say that it's back! Changing the culture here was going to be a hard task but it looks like Beamer has done just that. That's something that doesn't show up in the win/loss column but it's a giant step in the right direction.

Now to the offense 🤬🤮. It is apparent that the coaching staff has very little faith in Jason Brown the way Zeb struggled and still stayed in the game. I don't know if things will be much better with Doty but after that they couldn't be any worse and at least he can run. Sloppy play, mental errors, ball security, and poor run blocking has been their undoing and it about lost us the game. Play calling wasn't great but execution was terrible. If they can just stop doing the stupid things the rest will come around.

So IMO going forward that as long as the defense and ST's keep playing like they have we will have a chance in almost every game going forward but if the offense doesn't get it together we will be lucky to win 6 games. Doty will have to provide some kind of spark and if they can stop with all the mental errors this could be a team that over achieves. We won 2 games that by all accounts should have won but it's going to be a battle getting to that magic number 6 wins unless something changes on the offensive side of the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News