ADVERTISEMENT

What did you think of AFA football?

We have some fake news going on here. Atlanta Legends tickets lower level are $40-$84 a ticket. You can get in for $20 and see birds flying under you. I wouldn’t charge over $20 for any ticket to see this.

Yes you can get some nosebleeds for the family and a hot dog for $136. That’s the $20 nosebleeds with a couple bucks added on for the drink and hot dog.

These are guys cut from the NFL trying to make a roster, long shots at that. We see better at Williams Brice many Saturdays. You can’t charge for this what we pay for SEC football and expect a great showing. It’s okay for a start but once the novelty wears off you best have a way of putting butts in the seats.

As for the how can I not like football comment....I enjoy watching GOOD football. I can see BAD football on a little league field for free. Did you watch the Memphis Express? Akron could beat them.

As for the backers not being stupid....guess no one has ever heard of the USFL, World League, XFL, etc....I’m sure those supporters knew it would go bad and just did it for charity purposes.

If anyone would like to bet this league lasts beyond 2020 I’ll take your money.
Those who are doubting spring pro football are just not paying attention. To set the record straight...

Ticket Prices:
  • The cheapest seats for an Atlanta Legends game are just $20 and they are in the 200 level. That is NOT a nosebleed seat as the 300 level isn't even being sold.
  • Meanwhile as of just 2 days ago, you could still get $30 tickets on the 40-yard line. Those seats are now sold, so it will cost at least $40 to have lower level sideline seats, $30 if you don't mind sitting in the endzone.
Attendance/Ratings:
  • So far, the AAF games have averaged 20,000 fans per game. That's exactly what they need to support their business model.
  • The opening weekend games had a TV rating of 2.1 which is better than the average TV ratings for either Big XII or Pac 12 college football. It also beat the NBA regular season ratings that same weekend.
  • The XFL will likely do even better because they will be in much larger markets and in nicer stadiums.
Quality of Play:
  • The vast majority of players in this league were in a NFL camp this past August. So, the overall talent level is comparable to the top flight of college football. Not only could they compete in a Power 5 league, most of these teams would put a whooping on South Carolina. So, the Akron comparison is absolute nonsense.
  • The rule changes are refreshing. The games are only 2 1/2 hours thanks to zero TV timeouts, 60% fewer "full-screen" ads, and a 35-second play clock. That alone is game changer for the fan experience.
Business Model:
  • I don't know if both the AAF and XFL will survive long-term, but one of them, or a combination of them will. The XFL in particular is backed by $500 million investment, both leagues are pursuing the same "single entity" structure that has enabled Major League Soccer to survive and thrive for 24 years, they have a major network broadcasting partners, they have legit, experienced, sports execs leading both leagues, and even the NFL sees both leagues as complimentary rather than a threat to their business. So, just stick to the spring season and control expenses and they'll be fine.
  • Gambling will provide revenue the NFL and NCAA don't currently enjoy. Both leagues are openly embracing in-stadium gambling and therefore receive a cut. In addition to betting on the outcome of the game, you can bet on whether a drive will result in a TD, which player will be next to score, etc.
In short, it's fine if you don't care and choose not to be a fan. But the doubters are just not evaluating this on its true merits and defaulting to failed prior attempts even though the business model and business conditions are very different.

But the doubters are just not evaluating this on its true merits and defaulting to failed prior attempts even though the business model and business conditions are very different.
Doubters who want to run their mouths before they do any research.

Those who are doubting spring pro football are just not paying attention. To set the record straight...

Ticket Prices:
  • The cheapest seats for an Atlanta Legends game are just $20 and they are in the 200 level. That is NOT a nosebleed seat as the 300 level isn't even being sold.
  • Meanwhile as of just 2 days ago, you could still get $30 tickets on the 40-yard line. Those seats are now sold, so it will cost at least $40 to have lower level sideline seats, $30 if you don't mind sitting in the endzone.
Attendance/Ratings:
  • So far, the AAF games have averaged 20,000 fans per game. That's exactly what they need to support their business model.
  • The opening weekend games had a TV rating of 2.1 which is better than the average TV ratings for either Big XII or Pac 12 college football. It also beat the NBA regular season ratings that same weekend.
  • The XFL will likely do even better because they will be in much larger markets and in nicer stadiums.
Quality of Play:
  • The vast majority of players in this league were in a NFL camp this past August. So, the overall talent level is comparable to the top flight of college football. Not only could they compete in a Power 5 league, most of these teams would put a whooping on South Carolina. So, the Akron comparison is absolute nonsense.
  • The rule changes are refreshing. The games are only 2 1/2 hours thanks to zero TV timeouts, 60% fewer "full-screen" ads, and a 35-second play clock. That alone is game changer for the fan experience.
Business Model:
  • I don't know if both the AAF and XFL will survive long-term, but one of them, or a combination of them will. The XFL in particular is backed by $500 million investment, both leagues are pursuing the same "single entity" structure that has enabled Major League Soccer to survive and thrive for 24 years, they have a major network broadcasting partners, they have legit, experienced, sports execs leading both leagues, and even the NFL sees both leagues as complimentary rather than a threat to their business. So, just stick to the spring season and control expenses and they'll be fine.
  • Gambling will provide revenue the NFL and NCAA don't currently enjoy. Both leagues are openly embracing in-stadium gambling and therefore receive a cut. In addition to betting on the outcome of the game, you can bet on whether a drive will result in a TD, which player will be next to score, etc.
In short, it's fine if you don't care and choose not to be a fan. But the doubters are just not evaluating this on its true merits and defaulting to failed prior attempts even though the business model and business conditions are very different.

Every league had great ratings and attendance initially including the failed XFL. The Big 12 and PaC 12 aren’t going away even if their ratings hit rock bottom. This league is.

Name me 5 guys in this league that will get back in the NFL? Several once played there, but they will be passed over for college upcoming talent. You might get a “he hate me” Jr if you’re lucky.

MLS “thriving” is about like the WNBA “thriving” since it’s been around 22 years now. But compared to the USFL, XFL and other failed ventures if this makes it 3 years you can call it a success. Between high school, college and NFL football there is over saturation of the market for anything else. The CFL has been around since 1958 and most people on this board haven’t seen more than a half of a game.

Those who are doubting are not paying attention = anyone who disagrees with my opinion is wrong because I know. Our opinions are worth the same thing when all is said and done...nothing.

Take out Spurrier and Fry and I doubt most people in S.C. even have a passing interest in this league.

Every league had great ratings and attendance initially including the failed XFL. The Big 12 and PaC 12 aren’t going away even if their ratings hit rock bottom. This league is.

Name me 5 guys in this league that will get back in the NFL? Several once played there, but they will be passed over for college upcoming talent. You might get a “he hate me” Jr if you’re lucky.

MLS “thriving” is about like the WNBA “thriving” since it’s been around 22 years now. But compared to the USFL, XFL and other failed ventures if this makes it 3 years you can call it a success. Between high school, college and NFL football there is over saturation of the market for anything else. The CFL has been around since 1958 and most people on this board haven’t seen more than a half of a game.

Those who are doubting are not paying attention = anyone who disagrees with my opinion is wrong because I know. Our opinions are worth the same thing when all is said and done...nothing.

Take out Spurrier and Fry and I doubt most people in S.C. even have a passing interest in this league.
I think the XFL 2.0 will do better than the AAF in the long run because they will be in bigger markets, better stadiums, they'll have stronger financial backing, and they plan to sign college players not yet eligible for the NFL draft, so they'll have a bit of star power that the AAF lacks. That said, I could see the XFL acquiring the most successful franchises out of the AAF to expand the league later-on. For example, San Antonio has drawn 27K and 29K in consecutive games. Decent sized market, no NFL football, and decent stadium that needs a permanent tenant. San Diego may do well for similar reasons.

As for MLS, we're getting off on a tangent here, but to compare it to the WNBA is laughable. MLS has twice as many teams (soon to be 28 teams or more), three times the attendance, and about five times the revenue/franchise value. MLS will overtake the NHL as America's #4 professional sports league by the time the US hosts the World Cup in 2026. And the point of mentioning MLS was simply to illustrate what the single entity model can do to provide stability for a new league.

Reactions: rogue cock
I think the XFL 2.0 will do better than the AAF in the long run....
Looks like the AAF is already in financial trouble. I was under the impression that they had the resources to cover their expenses the first year or so?

Anyway, if you read the article in the link, we may find it impossible for any league to be successful considering the other dynamics mentioned, including XFL. I still really hope the AAF succeeds. I plan on going to one of the Hotshot games in a few weeks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...otball-league-investor-tom-dundon/2914727002/

Like I said the AAF is about to flop. That $250,000,000 bail out isn’t going to hold up. They almost missed the first payroll checks.

You grow up a Gamecock or an Atlanta Brave. You don’t grow up an Orlando Appollo fan. The best hope this league has is drawing troubled college stars or those that want to leave college early to pursue a pro career.

The jerseys are made by STARTER! Not Nike, Addidas, Underarmour, etc....If the league cannot even draw a sponsor for uniforms forget it. I doubt it makes it to next season.

Ticket Prices:
Attendance/Ratings:
Quality of Play:
Business Model:

Face the music time.....

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/3287922002

Seems you want them to fail.

No but it’s not like I didn’t call it. When you have starter jerseys, no real major sponsors, etc...it’s not hard to figure out. Heard plenty on here talking out of their bunghole about how successful it was.

Football is fully saturated between college and pro. Getting fans to care about teams with no history is going to take time and an investment from the NFL itself.

No but it’s not like I didn’t call it. When you have starter jerseys, no real major sponsors, etc...it’s not hard to figure out. Heard plenty on here talking out of their bunghole about how successful it was.

Football is fully saturated between college and pro. Getting fans to care about teams with no history is going to take time and an investment from the NFL itself.
I see...so this is about you being able to talk smack and say "I told you so".

I see...so this is about you being able to talk smack and say "I told you so".

Well since I was one of the “doubters who wanted to run their mouth without doing any research” I thought I might revisit the topic.

Sometimes revisiting a post allows for reflection for all involved.

I have watched it some here and there and it’s ok. If I lived closer to Atlanta, I’d probably try to check out a game. If the league folds after one year, then the XFL may as well not even bother next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT