ADVERTISEMENT

What men’s sport at USC have you missed due to Title IX limits?

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
As an example many schools had wrestling as a scholarship sport but were dropped due to Title IX rules on equal men/women scholarships. Are there any men’s sports that you miss?

I'm curious, too. At USC, I thought it more resulted in the expansion of women's sports (e.g., beach volleyball, etc.) than the loss of men's sports.

One thing that I do wish we could add would be men's lacrosse.
I agree. I don't think we've actually dropped any men's sports, but have simply added women's sports. Granted that means we've not added men's sports that people may like to see us compete, as you mention lacrosse.

Way before my time, but when I look at the USC Athletics Hall of Fame I'm always intrigued by the boxers. I can't imagine the intensity that would be involved in something like an SEC boxing match!

RAY AVANT (2004)
BOXING • 1948-49

Two-time Southern Conference boxing champion of the late 1940s.

FRANK JENKINS (1976)
BOXING • 1935-38

One of only three boxers to be inducted into the South Carolina Athletic Hall of Fame.

T. ALLEN LEGARE (1989)
BOXING • 1939

Southern Conference welterweight champion in 1939 when boxing was a major sport at South Carolina and other institutions ... won all 10 of his bouts that year, including three in the Southern Conference championship tournament ... president of the 1939 senior class ... served 16 years in the South Carolina State Senate and has been active in University of South Carolina alumni work ... is currently an attorney in Charleston, S.C.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
As an example many schools had wrestling as a scholarship sport but were dropped due to Title IX rules on equal men/women scholarships. Are there any men’s sports that you miss?
I don't believe we dropped any. Clemson dropped wrestling, men's swimming and diving. and maybe others.

I really miss men's soccer. We had a good program prior to cancelling it. Oh wait, it wasn't title IX. Our HBC stopped recruiting and we have sucked for 20 years.
At least we have it. Rest of the SEC needs to get with the program. That's the most glaring thing missing to me, and I'm not even a big soccer guy. It's a major sport though. They're getting 40k and 50k at some of these pro matches; let's see what SEC "futbol" could do

We already have track and field obviously, but I'd like to see it covered more. When I watch track and field every 4 years on the Olympics I always get into it. I think if the SEC Network showed big races and stuff among the conference's best athletes it'd make for good TV

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
Men's wrestling is the one most schools are dropping. My other alma mater Anderson University recently dropped wrestling but thankfully it was after my two guys were able to complete their 4 years of eligibility.

Men's wrestling is the one most schools are dropping. My other alma mater Anderson University recently dropped wrestling but thankfully it was after my two guys were able to complete their 4 years of eligibility.
That's pretty much a Big Ten/Northeastern sport now, isn't it?

Gender specific sports... I'm beginning to wonder how much longer they will last.

That's pretty much a Big Ten/Northeastern sport now, isn't it?
South Carolina still has a few schools that field men's wrestling.
Citadel, Limestone, Coker, Spartanburg Methodist,Newberry
It is more popular in the cold states since kids here can get outside year around to play basketball football baseball, hard to do up north with a foot of snow on the ground.

Reactions: rogue cock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT