ADVERTISEMENT

What now going forward?

cole214

GarnetTrust.com Member/Supporter
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2009
Now that I've had some time to digest what happened this past weekend and think on it, here are some points I have going forward.

- From the beginning I was skeptical about Satterfield and didn't feel too confident. I'm still in the "show me" stage and not in the "fire him" boat just yet. We have to think about it, the offense has spent the last month or more without their starting QB (who still isn't 100%). The first game he comes back is against the #1 total defense in the country and 2nd one against the #9 total defense in the country. All though Troy currently has the #5 total defense in the country, we have to show improvements this week. We have lost 4 fumbles and 2 INTs already though. We've allowed 10 sacks for a loss of 55 yards. Average Time of Possession is 30 mins, we have to do better at giving our defense some rest so they are gassed in the 4th quarter. If I was to bet on if Satterfield is the man, I would put my money on that he isn't but I'm not willing to throw all my chips in on that just yet.

- Defensively, I don't have much to say. Throw all the chips in on Clayton White, the dude is phenomenal and has done an outstanding job. Just imagine our defenses once he gets his players in. Lock him up. I'm loving the amount of turnovers we are getting. 3 fumbles and 7 INTs, not to mention 2 defensive TDs! 9 sacks on the year but I'm not complaining, were getting pressure.

- Special teams has been great as well. Parker White is who we know who he is. 2 blocked kicks and 2 blocked punts 4 games in. I love it, need special teams to stay "in the green" and not "in the red". Punting the ball is great as well. Only allowing an average of 2 yards on punt returns. Kick off's we've had 13 touchbacks and have only allowed 21 yards on returns. Great sound tackling on special teams. On receiving punt returns, only 6.5 returning yards but were catching it great. Kickoffs were averaging 24 yards a return, so I'm happy with that as well.

-Mentality/discipline wise could use some work. I think we are doing a good job mentally being in the games and not giving up on plays. But we have to be more discipline. Were giving up an average of 57.75 ypg on just penalties.

I'm sold on Beamer though, I think he is doing a good job turning us around from the mess that we were in. Let's not forget that this team only won 6 games in the past 2 years. Still a lot of winnable ball games left on the schedule (Troy, Tennessee, Vandy, Missouri, Auburn and Clemson). Get our offense figured out and lets see what we do against the remaining heavy weights in A&M and Florida! Out of all the hires Coach Beamer has made, only 2 are still questionable. I like those odds, especially with the gems that we got in the others! Some things take time folks, Rome wasn't built in a day! Let's give our boys some time, try not to speak in the moment when you're upset and digest things for a bit! But don't let up on the support! I like the direction that we are heading!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News