ADVERTISEMENT

What superstar recruit comes to mind for not panning out? Not just South Carolina but other schools as well.

Are we talking about hyped-up high school players who under-performed in college or hyped-up college players who under-performed in the pros?
I’ll assume you meant the former, and as others have listed, Summers belongs near the top of the list. He was just more interested in smoking weed than being a football player.
Willy Korn at Clemson belongs on the list. I’d throw in Bryce Brown (do I have the name right?) at Tennessee and Dorian Green Beckham at Mizzu.

Jimmy Clausen
I don’t think Clausen fits this. His Junior season stats were great and he left early to be a second round draft pick. He didn’t pan out in the NFL but in terms of college you got to see why he was so hyped.

Honestly Stephen Davis . He had a few good years at Auburn but he essentially platooned with Fred Beasley most of his college career . I think he actually had more NFL success than college success

I guess it depends on how you define "panning out," but don't the statistics reveal that about 50% of 5-star HS recruits eventually get drafted? That is MUCH higher than the percentage of 3-star players get drafted, but it still means that about half of 5-star players don't exactly set the college football world on fire. Of course, there are plenty of good college players who don't get drafted, but I think the "5-star" label comes with an expectation that the player will be a superstar.

Phillip Dukes. Thought any D tackle who could cut backflips was just what we needed. A 4- star who just didn’t pan out.

J.J. Brown. All-World in high school. Busted out at Michigan and busted out here. Josh Belk was a minor failure compared to Brown.
JJ was still one of my favorites...because we used to match up so often in pick up basketball at the Blatt. I was giving up about an inch, 40 lbs and a ton of athleticism, but he was a good guy.

Reactions: king ward
JJ was still one of my favorites...because we used to match up so often in pick up basketball at the Blatt. I was giving up about an inch, 40 lbs and a ton of athleticism, but he was a good guy.
I'm glad he had that going for him and I hope he is doing well.

I don’t think Clausen fits this. His Junior season stats were great and he left early to be a second round draft pick. He didn’t pan out in the NFL but in terms of college you got to see why he was so hyped.

1 year out of 3 after being tabbed a generational QB? Dude threw 17 interceptions his Sophmore year.
15-17 as a starter. He was hyped way more than what he accomplished.

1 year out of 3 after being tabbed a generational QB? Dude threw 17 interceptions his Sophmore year.
15-17 as a starter. He was hyped way more than what he accomplished.
Yes but when I think of a complete bust it’s a guy who had no success. A guy who outperformed multiple Heisman candidates and ended up in the NFL that’s not like a Ryan Perrilloux.

I would consider not planning out to mean not living up to the hype, not neccessarily being a complete bust. Summers had his off field problems but talent wise performed when here.
626 1002 62.5 7527 7.5 7.2 55 32 137.3

695 1110 62.6 8148 7.3 7.3 60 27 137.2

Career stats. One is Bentley and one is Clausen. I can tell you how most people feel about Bentley here. One was the No. 1 overall recruit and best recruit in years. He definitely wasn’t a complete bust but he certainly didn’t live up to the hype. Bentley also had a better record here than Clausen did at ND.

Whi was the LB recruit out of Conway?
Lawrence Mitchell. I don’t recall him being hugely hyped coming out of high school. (He was a big deal in state, but sitting out his senior year and being Prop 48 slowed the roll). But I’ve never seen a guy who was more physically impressive. He used to come to the Blatt to play basketball and when you hear people talk about someone looking like they were sculpted from marble, Lawrence Mitchell is what they mean. He was around 6’5 240 lbs, with almost no fat.

Last edited:
Honestly Stephen Davis . He had a few good years at Auburn but he essentially platooned with Fred Beasley most of his college career . I think he actually had more NFL success than college success
He played 3 seasons at Auburn. He's currently ranked 4th in all-time leading rushers at Auburn. Led the SEC in rushing in 1994, made All SEC his final two seasons. To say he was a bust at Auburn is hilarious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT