ADVERTISEMENT

What went on behind closed doors

Robhawk29

Nov 15, 2019
Chapin
Tanner was elevated to AD in July 2012. About the same time recruiting took a dive with Spurrier. Spurrier leaves the program and endorses Muschamp hire. Spurrier resurfaces at Florida. Coincidence? Probably not.

Reactions: Cbreezy33
Tanner was elevated to AD in July 2012. About the same time recruiting took a dive with Spurrier. Spurrier leaves the program and endorses Muschamp hire. Spurrier resurfaces at Florida. Coincidence? Probably not.

What’s your point? A Florida conspiracy so they can buy him out?

What’s your point? A Florida conspiracy so they can buy him out?
Tanner was an inexperianced AD and if I'm Spurrier I wouldn't want SC to keep beating Florida in football. So Spurrier probably knew Muschamp was a bad hire and gave Tanner bad advice.

Spurrier just wanted to retire, play golf and move back to Florida. He had been coasting since 2012 and probably gave less thought to who his replacement was one way or the other.
I think Spurrier was hinting at retiring behind closed doors since as early as 2011/12 and tanner talked him into staying longer. Spurrier being a nice guy did. But he was burnt out and put things on autopilot which dug us into a hole. When Tanner should have just asked for a retirement date and been looking for a replacement when the team was still hitting on all cylinders.

you can blame Spurrier for a lot. Probably from 2015 up until maybe this season. but his classes are all cycled out by now I think. It’s totally on Muschamp.

Last edited:
Spurrier just wanted to retire, play golf and move back to Florida. He had been coasting since 2012 and probably gave less thought to who his replacement was one way or the other.
I think Spurrier was hinting at retiring behind closed doors since as early as 2011/12 and tanner talked him into staying longer. Spurrier being a nice guy did. But he was burnt out and put things on autopilot which dug us into a hole. When Tanner should have just asked for a retirement date and been looking for a replacement when the team was still hitting on all cylinders.

you can blame Spurrier for a lot. Probably from 2015 up until maybe this season. but his classes are all cycled out by now I think. It’s totally on Muschamp.

I think you are spot on. Spurrier told Tanner that he was finished after the 2014 season. Tanner begged Steve and his wife to stay another year. Tanner was not prepared to make a hiring decision then nor a year later, having to take Muschamp. the "last guy on the board".

Calling the only two time National Championship winning coach at Carolina a buffoon....nice.

Exactly. Posters on here never amaze me !
Hate on him as an AD if they want but calling the guy who won two national championships a buffoon???
Put this guy on list of others with ludicrous comments on this board

Tanner was an inexperianced AD and if I'm Spurrier I wouldn't want SC to keep beating Florida in football. So Spurrier probably knew Muschamp was a bad hire and gave Tanner bad advice.

It is easier and more uplifting to think that Spurrier just thought Muschamp was a good guy and could make it with a second chance

Please don't invent stuff based on circumstantial evidence. It isn't necessary.

Reactions: howard13
Hate on him as an AD if they want but calling the guy who won two national championships a buffoon???
However, just because someone is a great baseball coach does not mean he will be a great AD of a multi-million dollar athletic's program. I don't think he is a buffoon but think he is way over his head as an AD.

However, just because someone is a great baseball coach does not mean he will be a great AD of a multi-million dollar athletic's program. I don't think he is a buffoon but think he is way over his head as an AD.

The point of post was a guy on here calling him a buffoon
Nothing to do with how good of an AD he is.

You do realize that a HC and an AD are completely different positions don't you? Now, he is by far not a buffoon but he is OBVIOUSLY not an AD. Not suitable whatsoever.

This is why Caslen needs to take swift action to stop all the speculation.
Caslen is not taking swift action! He is on shaky grounds himself. He just came out and said we had Muschamp for many years to come. His comments have not been helpful. He just should have said we evaluate all our athletic programs at the end of the season! Now he has gotten a communication advisor...that we are paying for...to tell him what to say and how to say it!

Caslen is not taking swift action! He is on shaky grounds himself. He just came out and said we had Muschamp for many years to come. His comments have not been helpful. He just should have said we evaluate all our athletic programs at the end of the season! Now he has gotten a communication advisor!
While I agree his comment was a blunder, I do not agree that he is on shaky ground himself. Now, he has the opportunity to prove himself with actions rather than words.

There is no other way to classify it. If you thought Muschamp was a good hire after he failed at Florida with the worst record in the last 40 years and a loss to Georgia Southern, then you're a buffoon.

There is no other way to classify it. If you thought Muschamp was a good hire after he failed at Florida with the worst record in the last 40 years and a loss to Georgia Southern, then you're a buffoon.
I think many thought Muschamp had learned a lesson at UF and was going to be a changed person when he got here. Sadly, that did not happen.

While I agree his comment was a blunder, I do not agree that he is on shaky ground himself. Now, he has the opportunity to prove himself with actions rather than words.
You don’t think having almost 1/2 of the board voting against your getting the job and having a year to year contract...puts you on shaky grounds?

And showing ‘actions’ by firing someone and it costing over $18 million dollars. I don’t think so...evidently you do.

Reactions: GeoCocky
Spurrier wanted to retire after we beat Miami in the bowl game of the 7-6 year but was convinced to come back by Tanner. That’s the truth. Spurrier was let down by his staff. A good AD would have seen that coming. Tanner didn’t.

You don’t think having almost 1/2 of the board voting against your getting the job and having a year to year contract...puts you on shaky grounds?

And showing ‘actions’ by firing someone and it costing over $18 million dollars. I don’t think so...evidently you do.
No, Caslen is not on shaky ground. He has the job, and is supposed to do his job rather than cower at the feet of the Board of Trustees. Caslen could easily get another job and the Board knows this.

I did not say that Caslen was going to fire Muschamp with an $18 million payout. I said he needed to take swift action addressing the situation.

Spurrier wanted to retire after we beat Miami in the bowl game of the 7-6 year but was convinced to come back by Tanner. That’s the truth. Spurrier was let down by his staff. A good AD would have seen that coming. Tanner didn’t.
I think Tanner was in awe of Spurrier and in no way could deal with him as an equal and certainly not as a subordinate.

I think you are spot on. Spurrier told Tanner that he was finished after the 2014 season. Tanner begged Steve and his wife to stay another year. Tanner was not prepared to make a hiring decision then nor a year later, having to take Muschamp. the "last guy on the board".
Is that around the time when the 80 ft banner of SOS went up on the front of Billy Brice? Ray's feeble attempt to pacify a coach who wanted to retire instead of doing the job of an AD by looking for a proper replacement?

No, Caslen is not on shaky ground. He has the job, and is supposed to do his job rather than cower at the feet of the Board of Trustees. Caslen could easily get another job and the Board knows this.

I did not say that Caslen was going to fire Muschamp with an $18 million payout. I said he needed to take swift action addressing the situation.
He has taken SWIFT action...he just recently issued a statement giving Muschamp his full support. What other action are you expecting to see from Caslen?

He has taken SWIFT action...he just recently issued a statement giving Muschamp his full support. What other action are you expecting to see?
I hope Caslen will force Ray Tanner to address the clear problem with the football program. If Tanner is not capable of doing this, Caslen should then work to replace Tanner.

Good managers do not sit back and let bad things keep happening. As a former military General, I expect Caslen to see that the bad things in the football program are addressed.

I hope Caslen will force Ray Tanner to address the clear problem with the football program. If Tanner is not capable of doing this, Caslen should then work to replace Tanner.

Good managers do not sit back and let bad things keep happening. As a former military General, I expect Caslen to see that the bad things in the football program are addressed.

It is not just football. Yes WM and the $18 million buyout is a huge albatross. Then there is Frank Martin’s buyout of $12 million. The MBB is also taking a nose dive. Looks like Frank has also peaked. The MBB losses are telling.

This adds up - $30 million in buyouts. Who in their right business mind would mortgage the University like this? Yes, we can probably pay our way out if this. I know that. But it reduces your degrees of freedom to operate. You cannot make more mistakes like this. Surely, the BOT needs to rise and take a stand?

Ray knows he goes down with WM. It is a fight to the bitter end!! JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT