ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take for us to make a regional in baseball?

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
Currently 20-16 6-9 in SEC. Still play no 24 LSU at home and no 4 Mississippi at home at no 19 Texas AM at no 16 Vandy and Missouri at home. We know from last year we have to win some series. Currently we are no 59 in the RPI.

According to Boyd, and his RPI needs report
http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html

11 wins and we are in the RPI range. ~45
13 wins and we get close to 32 in the RPI.

So in an attempt to answer the question.
Win all 4 remaining games OOC, plus schedule/reschedule the App St game. Gotta be a win.
With 15 remaining SEC games, have to get to 14-16. So 8-7 somehow.

Bottom line is 13 wins to get in.

According to Boyd, and his RPI needs report
http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/rpineeds.html

11 wins and we are in the RPI range. ~45
13 wins and we get close to 32 in the RPI.

So in an attempt to answer the question.
Win all 4 remaining games OOC, plus schedule/reschedule the App St game. Gotta be a win.
With 15 remaining SEC games, have to get to 14-16. So 8-7 somehow.

Bottom line is 13 wins to get in.
This ^^ and
The NCAA loves teams that get hot late and time is running out, but don’t stick a fork in em just yet. There are positive signs that they can start clicking and get hot. Pitching and defense will keep you in games just as it did yesterday. Hill, Morris, and L. Chapman looked good, as well as Bridges and Shook out of the pen. We need Stokes back at ss and Hopkins in cf. The biggest concern will be run production. If Kingston and current can get the bats going more consistently we can definitely make a run to a regional

This ^^ and
The NCAA loves teams that get hot late and time is running out, but don’t stick a fork in em just yet. There are positive signs that they can start clicking and get hot. Pitching and defense will keep you in games just as it did yesterday. Hill, Morris, and L. Chapman looked good, as well as Bridges and Shook out of the pen. We need Stokes back at ss and Hopkins in cf. The biggest concern will be run production. If Kingston and current can get the bats going more consistently we can definitely make a run to a regional
It won't be easy but this team is capable. The pitching held Arkansas to 7 runs in three games and that is well below their season average. I realize they may have scored a few more in the shortened games but that's still very good against one of the better offenses in the country.

I'm not sure what happened to the hitting yesterday. We never really adjusted to what they were doing and didn't have any patience as a team. We drew 1 walk in 2 games and swung at a bunch of bad pitches.

Hopefully we can put it all together and make a run at it. The hitting looked good Thursday. I think Campbell set the tone early with a great at bat and hope he stays at leadoff. He and Hopkins were a great one two punch at the top with their speed and discipline.

It's too early to give up on them. Baseball is a funny game. Even a team that's been average all year can get it together and go on a big run. There's too many examples to list but look at Coastal a couple years ago and Fresno State. Im not saying we're going to win it all or even make a regional but this team is capable of getting hot.

Last edited:
Hard to win games, much less get to NCAA when a team struggles to score. Just don't see this year's squad making that happen. Am not blaming the coach. He probably knew in the fall that he had a lot of recruiting to do. Going to take a while folks.

I think we would have to go 15-4 the rest of the way and at least get to the semis in Hoover. I seriously doubt that happens so we probably miss the post season again.

I will tell you how to make a regional:
Play a conference schedule where at this point you are 11-7: Of those 18 games three were against a ranked opponent and you lost all three of those at home. Lose 2 of 3 at home to a team that was 13-19 coming into the weekend.

Finish your final 12 conference games where only 3 of those are against a ranked team (FSU) who is average this year, and the other 9 are against WF, a down UVA and Pitt who no one knows has a baseball program!!! In other words, play a 30 game conference schedule where 24 games are against unranked teams.

Switch our schedule with Clemson's schedule and roles would be reversed. Remember, they beat us 2 out of 3 with the deciding game coming down to bottom of 9th. For all the hoopla about them, they are no better than we are and Lee is in his 3rd season.

Our conference schedule:
#1 Fla, ranked UGA, UT, Top 10 Kentucky, Arkansas back to back on road, then a "breather" at home against ranked LSU, @ ranked Vandy, back home to #4 Ole Miss, to Missouri and then we get to finish against ranked Texas A@M.

Clemson was 10-5 going into weekend. You think they are 10-5 in conference if first 5 series were Fla, @UGA, UT, @KY and @ Ark instead of unranked Ga Tech, NC State (only ranked team and swept Clemson at CU), Louisville, BC and ND?

You don't think we would be in regional playing Clemson's schedule? That is how you make a regional.

Let this sink in, one team plays a 30 conference games and only 6 of those are ranked compared to another team that plays 30 conference games and 24 are against ranked opponents. You don't think that makes a difference in records?

Again, their schedule is how you make a regional.

Reactions: joebuckusc
This ^^ and

The problem is that we don't know from Friday to Friday which Hill is going to show up. I hate to say it, but it's the truth.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Rebuilding, reboot, ... Can’t win if you can’t score at least ONE freaking run. Let’s talk about this in 2019 and before any one starts; I think the new staff needs time.

The problem is that we don't know from Friday to Friday which Hill is going to show up. I hate to say it, but it's the truth.
True. His next start may resemble his start against Kentucky or he may turn it on late similar to Brandon Webb. The point is, we have seen this team pitch, hit, and play defense very well at times through the first half of the season. They just need to bring it all together down the stretch

Better question: Have we improved this season?
Well if you look at who we lost out of our rotation and then out of bullpen I would say yes we have improved. Just off the top of my head I think we lost Friday and Saturday starters, closer in Tyler Johnson and setup guy Josh Reagan. We have lost three starters to injury for good part of season but they keep fighting.

While far from a great team, this team competes with the best teams in the nation on a weekly basis. It is a grueling schedule and other than the UGA series where we gave a game away we have competed with some of the best teams in the nation.

Does this mean that we've been eliminated from State Championship contention also?
cd83d5777b95e897b50864b1669edb57.jpg

Last edited:
Tell lsu not to bother to travel here. Cancel the rest of the season.

I will tell you how to make a regional:
Play a conference schedule where at this point you are 11-7: Of those 18 games three were against a ranked opponent and you lost all three of those at home. Lose 2 of 3 at home to a team that was 13-19 coming into the weekend.

Finish your final 12 conference games where only 3 of those are against a ranked team (FSU) who is average this year, and the other 9 are against WF, a down UVA and Pitt who no one knows has a baseball program!!! In other words, play a 30 game conference schedule where 24 games are against unranked teams.

Switch our schedule with Clemson's schedule and roles would be reversed. Remember, they beat us 2 out of 3 with the deciding game coming down to bottom of 9th. For all the hoopla about them, they are no better than we are and Lee is in his 3rd season.

Our conference schedule:
#1 Fla, ranked UGA, UT, Top 10 Kentucky, Arkansas back to back on road, then a "breather" at home against ranked LSU, @ ranked Vandy, back home to #4 Ole Miss, to Missouri and then we get to finish against ranked Texas A@M.

Clemson was 10-5 going into weekend. You think they are 10-5 in conference if first 5 series were Fla, @UGA, UT, @KY and @ Ark instead of unranked Ga Tech, NC State (only ranked team and swept Clemson at CU), Louisville, BC and ND?

You don't think we would be in regional playing Clemson's schedule? That is how you make a regional.

Let this sink in, one team plays a 30 conference games and only 6 of those are ranked compared to another team that plays 30 conference games and 24 are against ranked opponents. You don't think that makes a difference in records?

Again, their schedule is how you make a regional.

No. No we wouldn't. You could switch our schedule with Coastal Carolina and we still aren't making the playoffs. Clemson sucks but that's just terrible logic. Now if you said put Clemson in the SEC and they would not be a tournament team I could get behind, but putting us in an easier conference like the acc and we are still sitting at home tournament time. Next year we should get a better idea of what Kingston brings to the table.

Currently 20-16 6-9 in SEC. Still play no 24 LSU at home and no 4 Mississippi at home at no 19 Texas AM at no 16 Vandy and Missouri at home. We know from last year we have to win some series. Currently we are no 59 in the RPI.
New year, new players, new culture and maybe a new coach.

No. No we wouldn't. You could switch our schedule with Coastal Carolina and we still aren't making the playoffs. Clemson sucks but that's just terrible logic. Now if you said put Clemson in the SEC and they would not be a tournament team I could get behind, but putting us in an easier conference like the acc and we are still sitting at home tournament time. Next year we should get a better idea of what Kingston brings to the table.

A table might help

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT