ADVERTISEMENT

What would have happened if Jake had not gotten hurt. I know we would all still

Everybody would be pointing to Hilinski as the savior who is riding the bench only because his daddy demands that he play in coaching meetings. You know how this works. Last year many seem convinced that Scar was the greatest QB to ever play college football and wondered how through five years, two ignorant staffs couldnt see his greatness.

Maybe we snag another win or two, but Deebo made our offense look a lot better than it was the past two seasons. Bentley would not have been as effective without him.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
He lost to UNC. What makes you think he would have beaten anybody else on the schedule?
False. "He" took a 20-9 LEAD into the fourth; defense gave up back to back 95 yard drives in the fourth. "He" was sacked (and injured; the savvy on here gossiped that it was from kicking a locker. Sheesh) on the last play of the game by a THREE MAN RUSH that he didn't even have time to set up on.

False. Your post is false.

Another bowl in which we don't score a TD. I have nothing personal against Bentley. But he simply could not play under pressure. He couldn't do the easiest things under any pressure at all. It was a mental thing with him. I think with Ryan, it's a combination of an injury-depleted team and lack of experience. I think he will be OK, but I doubt it will be with BOOM! as HC.

Reactions: supermangrantz
If you don’t think Bentley had an impact on Hilinski, you are mistaken. I do think Hilinski was pushed by Bentley. Once he was gone, there was no more competition. I also think that is why Bentley never took off. But no, we may be App St with Bentley, but that would be it.

False. "He" took a 20-9 LEAD into the fourth; defense gave up back to back 95 yard drives in the fourth. "He" was sacked (and injured; the savvy on here gossiped that it was from kicking a locker. Sheesh) on the last play of the game by a THREE MAN RUSH that he didn't even have time to set up on.

False. Your post is false.
I agree hole hardly.... some on hear didn't really watch that game I don't think!!! center got beat like a drum the whole game!! almost single handedly lost that one imo.... if u rewatch it... he didn't stand a chance... and ol coach left him in the intire game!!! inexcusable.... worst grade for an olineman I've ever graded!!!!

Reactions: Brace1
Anyone who has seen our oline knows the answer. He'd have gotten hurt in the next SEC game.

This is cracking me up! What’s wrong with some of y’all, Jake Bentley has won 18 games as a “starter” and many of those was when Deebo was injured. So whoever said Deebo gets credit for Jake’s wins is tripping! I see many of us is still blaming Bentley for losing to Virginia last year, or maybe it’s because we were 6-7 “I don’t know? But one thing I do know is Jake Bentley is miles ahead of Ryan Hilinski as a quarterback. Ryan doesn’t have a vertical game, he played this season like he played in the spring game. Sideline passes and slants! He was hardly ever asked to go down the field, and when he did it earlier “today, Clemson Destroyed it. Muschamp knows what kind of quarterback he has in Bentley that’s why he wants him back in the fold next year, because Bentley got a lot of wins out of his bad offenses. And yes we would’ve won more games with Bentley at quarterback, and he did not lose that game against UNC.. The truth is he was asked to save it! After the defense gave up 2 ninety plus yard drives in the 4th quarter.

I find no reason to believe that our record would have been any better. Even though Bentley was more seasoned, he was also erratic and our offensive line this year was terrible - not only unable to move people in the running game but probably responsible for many of the injuries to our backs. Neither of our quarterbacks were going to beat you with their legs, anyway, and Joyner wasn't going to beat you with his arm. So, no. No difference.

Reactions: traildust55
I find no reason to believe that our record would have been any better. Even though Bentley was more seasoned, he was also erratic and our offensive line this year was terrible - not only unable to move people in the running game but probably responsible for many of the injuries to our backs. Neither of our quarterbacks were going to beat you with their legs, anyway, and Joyner wasn't going to beat you with his arm. So, no. No difference.
So you trying to say the line was better last year? What about all the injuries to the running backs last year? Dowdle, Denson, Williams and Turner they all missed games, did you all of a sudden forget that? And the defense last season was horrible, so Bentley was asked to do more. So get out of here with the record would’ve been the same crap. Jake Bentley is a better quarterback who would’ve hit some home runs downfield and he would’ve got our receivers more involved this year. Ryan Hilinski couldn’t do that he’s limited in the passing game.

So you trying to say the line was better last year? What about all the injuries to the running backs last year? Dowdle, Denson, Williams and Turner they all missed games, did you all of a sudden forget that? And the defense last season was horrible, so Bentley was asked to do more. So get out of here with the record would’ve been the same crap. Jake Bentley is a better quarterback who would’ve hit some home runs downfield and he would’ve got our receivers more involved this year. Ryan Hilinski couldn’t do that he’s limited in the passing game.
Unknown and unknowable. You're awfully indignant for a man who can't prove his projection any more than I or anyone else can. And where did I say the line was "better" last year? They weren't great shakes last year, either. But they got progressively worse this year. And do you consider that the schedule was more difficult this year or last year? Yet we somehow managed to beat one of the best teams this year before the offense went completely South - without Bentley and largely without Hilinski. Yeah the defense was good that day, but their offense was missing some cogs also. Bentley started the year by being instrumental in our humiliating, deflating loss to a team that was going nowhere. I'm not seeing where he was going to lead this particular team to greener pastures this particular year.

Another bowl in which we don't score a TD. I have nothing personal against Bentley. But he simply could not play under pressure. He couldn't do the easiest things under any pressure at all. It was a mental thing with him. I think with Ryan, it's a combination of an injury-depleted team and lack of experience. I think he will be OK, but I doubt it will be with BOOM! as HC.

Yes, Bentley apparently always looks like a winner in practice. The only game I can recall him being the difference in was last year against Clemson.

Reactions: TheReelEss
Unknown and unknowable. You're awfully indignant for a man who can't prove his projection any more than I or anyone else can. And where did I say the line was "better" last year? They weren't great shakes last year, either. But they got progressively worse this year. And do you consider that the schedule was more difficult this year or last year? Yet we somehow managed to beat one of the best teams on it before the offense went South - without Bentley and largely without Hilinski. Yeah the defense was good that day, but their offense was missing some cogs also. Bentley started the year by being instrumental in our humiliating, deflating loss to a team that was going nowhere. I'm not seeing where he was going to lead this particular team to greener pastures this particular year.
Bentley had control of that North Carolina game until the 4th quarter when the defense let it get away. I remember when we got behind, “Jake was walking up and down the sideline trying to encourage the team, and everybody had their head down. They had given up and Jake was forced to try and make plays with a deflated team. I’m sorry but that loss was not on Jake Bentley. And no I’m not certain if we would’ve won more games with Jake at the helm, I can only speculate just like you; but I think we would’ve did a little better “but that’s just my opinion.

Reactions: cockofdawn
We wouldn't been sacked as many times with Bentley. Bentley could break a tackle. Ryan better get in the weight room. With our offensive line your gonna take alot of shots.

Reactions: Brace1
Bentley had control of that North Carolina game until the 4th quarter when the defense let it get away. I remember when we got behind, “Jake was walking up and down the sideline trying to encourage the team, and everybody had their head down. They had given up and Jake was forced to try and make plays with a deflated team. I’m sorry but that loss was not on Jake Bentley. And no I’m not certain if we would’ve won more games with Jake at the helm, I can only speculate just like you; but I think we would’ve did a little better “but that’s just my opinion.
And you're entitled to it. But what happened between the lines at UNC doesn't completely support your theory. But I look at the multi-score games we lost - factoring in the absolute inability to run the football and don't find a one of them that Jake would certainly have turned for us. APP State - not a multi-score game - is a possibility. Mind you, a possibility. Hilinski threw that Pick-six at Missouri. But we both know he's not the only one to ever throw one of those around here.

Bentley would have beaten App State, even with the BMAC playbook. He would have probably squeezed out a UT or Mizzoo win, so 6-6 like last year, and a mediocre bowl, but at least a Bowl no less, and he would have somehow generated at least 1 freaking TD against the clown led taters..

I got to ask...are you related to the Bentley’s?

Bentley would have beaten App State, even with the BMAC playbook. He would have probably squeezed out a UT or Mizzoo win, so 6-6 like last year, and a mediocre bowl, but at least a Bowl no less, and he would have somehow generated at least 1 freaking TD against the clown led taters..
Impossible to know every curve on the road not traveled. That applies to all of us who are weighing in on this. I would say this is as academic a discussion as we have going on the board right now. I would say it's moot.

He also missed a wide open pass to Shi Smith that probably wins the game. That's pretty much what you got with Jake. I agree that we win a couple more this year with him at QB, though.

Jake may have been the most overrated QB we have had in decades. He gets inserted into the Mizzu game (I think?) as a true freshman, and instead of playing conservative, he starts airing it out immediately to everyone’s surprise, and it worked for a bit (having a few great WRs didn’t hurt). He was our new gunslinger, and everyone bought in including me.
Then year two set it, and it became evident to me at least, that his football acumen was downright atrocious. That gunslinger mentality was simply stupid carelessness. Of course I watch no other team more than the Cocks, but I can’t recall another QB looking at double or even triple coverage, and going “screw it...imma let it fly”. If I’m not mistaken I think he threw two picks ON THE SAME PLAY, during the UF game in 2017. He damn near gave away an easy victory, single handily, in that game with two goal line turnovers that
were inexcusable.
After 12 picks that year, even I thought “ok certainly he’ll learn not to be so careless, and become smarter in those situations”. Not quite. He bumped the INTs to 14 and led the SEC in picks in 2018. So for every 1.7 TDs he was also giving the ball away. And please don’t get me started on the number of times I have seen him roll out the pocket, scanning the field, to ultimately run out of bounds 5-10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. But hey I guess it’s better than throwing a pick.
It’s just as easy to say that JB would have won us a game or two more, as it is to say he could have lost us a game or two more.
Who knows? Hilinski has his issues too. I couldn’t stand to watch one more bullet throw to a WR running a slant route who would be completely covered up, nor a quick out to a WR 5 yards behind the LOS with multiple defenders closing in. I’m sure some of that is on him, some the OL, and for sure a ton on the coaches who are supposed to be preparing these guys.
I’ll certainly give him more time to grow, but as far as Bentley goes, I’m hoping his time has passed. Go Cocks!

be complaining but would our win loss record be better? And don't get me wrong I really like Hilinski but I don't know if he came out under the best of circumstances.

Probably would have been a little bit better off. If Jake had been healthy, that would have given Ryan a chance to get healthy. He's been banged up since the BAMA game. Also would have given defenses a different look.

Jake may have been the most overrated QB we have had in decades. He gets inserted into the Mizzu game (I think?) as a true freshman, and instead of playing conservative, he starts airing it out immediately to everyone’s surprise, and it worked for a bit (having a few great WRs didn’t hurt). He was our new gunslinger, and everyone bought in including me.
Then year two set it, and it became evident to me at least, that his football acumen was downright atrocious. That gunslinger mentality was simply stupid carelessness. Of course I watch no other team more than the Cocks, but I can’t recall another QB looking at double or even triple coverage, and going “screw it...imma let it fly”. If I’m not mistaken I think he threw two picks ON THE SAME PLAY, during the UF game in 2017. He damn near gave away an easy victory, single handily, in that game with two goal line turnovers that
were inexcusable.
After 12 picks that year, even I thought “ok certainly he’ll learn not to be so careless, and become smarter in those situations”. Not quite. He bumped the INTs to 14 and led the SEC in picks in 2018. So for every 1.7 TDs he was also giving the ball away. And please don’t get me started on the number of times I have seen him roll out the pocket, scanning the field, to ultimately run out of bounds 5-10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. But hey I guess it’s better than throwing a pick.
It’s just as easy to say that JB would have won us a game or two more, as it is to say he could have lost us a game or two more.
Who knows? Hilinski has his issues too. I couldn’t stand to watch one more bullet throw to a WR running a slant route who would be completely covered up, nor a quick out to a WR 5 yards behind the LOS with multiple defenders closing in. I’m sure some of that is on him, some the OL, and for sure a ton on the coaches who are supposed to be preparing these guys.
I’ll certainly give him more time to grow, but as far as Bentley goes, I’m hoping his time has passed. Go Cocks!
The things you said are true but remember who Jake played for, and if you think another QB can come in and be special under Will Muschamp then you haven’t payed “attention, to that guys career as a head coach. I’m surprised Jake lasted that long playing for him, “considering no other QBs has been able too. And you're reaching with that most overrated QB we’ve had in decades garbage. Brandon Mcllwain and Connor Mitch was more heralded when they came here and they both thank you for that BS!

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
The things you said are true but remember who Jake played for, and if you think another QB can come in and be special under Will Muschamp then you haven’t payed “attention, to that guys career as a head coach. I’m surprised Jake lasted that long playing for him, “considering no other QBs has been able too. And you're reaching with that most overrated QB we’ve had in decades garbage. Brandon Mcllwain and Connor Mitch was more heralded when they came here and they both thank you for that BS!

Oh I get who he played for, and would be even more long winded on the disaster that is Muschamp. I’m sure with better coaching he could have possibly been better/smarter. As for the overrated comment, it was in relation to after he had been playing a while. All the talk of him leaving early for the NFL was more than I could bare.
I wish him well though and hope he achieves all his goals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT