ADVERTISEMENT

Whatever happened to John Fulton of Manning, 2010 recruit who went . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
To Bama - after Saban made a last minute visit to Fulton's high school - as I recall, that visit, and the 'rock star' reception Saban got from the Manning High coaches, really pissed off Ellis Johnson.

Signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent. Not sure if he made the team.

I'm way out if the loop on Fulton. I remember him signing with Bama, but I never kept up with him after he rejected us. Did he ever play at Bama?

Mostly a back up, senior year I think he started.

That's sad. Would he have been a big contributor for us?

I understand that there are good reasons why some kids from SC go out of state, but they should all realize that their HS days of stardom are easily forgotten. It's their college careers folks remember. I really don't understand why players who leave, and go on to stardom at out-of-state schools don't settle and put down roots in that state. Look at Stephen Davis from Spartanburg. He's become a name almost nobody remembers or cares about in SC. Why he didn't settle down in AL is puzzling. Can you imagine Herschel Walker living in GA after he played at UCLA where he almost went .... or Bo Jackson living in AL after playing anywhere outside of AL? Don't get me wrong, we need out-of-state players, but if they have reasonably good careers for any SC team, why would they not choose to settle down in SC. Can you imagine George Rogers living in Duluth, GA? I understand why they may spend their careers elsewhere if their job skill requires it, but if not, why go elsewhere? Thank goodness Marcus Lattimore chose to stay home. His career was cut short, but he will be a legend in SC, and will be able to write his own ticket here from now on.

I really don't recall any player coming out of Manning living up to the hype. I know Fred Bennett did OK with us & was drafted, but he didn't pan out in the league. Brian Mance went to Clemmons & did pretty good up there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make Nick the grand marshall of the annual Bass Festival.. That is big news for Manning.. They do have some great $18

Originally posted by section907:
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make Nick the grand marshall of the annual Bass Festival.. That is big news for Manning.. They do have some great $18
What????

Originally posted by wallycock:
That's sad. Would he have been a big contributor for us?

I understand that there are good reasons why some kids from SC go out of state, but they should all realize that their HS days of stardom are easily forgotten. It's their college careers folks remember. I really don't understand why players who leave, and go on to stardom at out-of-state schools don't settle and put down roots in that state. Look at Stephen Davis from Spartanburg. He's become a name almost nobody remembers or cares about in SC. Why he didn't settle down in AL is puzzling. Can you imagine Herschel Walker living in GA after he played at UCLA where he almost went .... or Bo Jackson living in AL after playing anywhere outside of AL? Don't get me wrong, we need out-of-state players, but if they have reasonably good careers for any SC team, why would they not choose to settle down in SC. Can you imagine George Rogers living in Duluth, GA? I understand why they may spend their careers elsewhere if their job skill requires it, but if not, why go elsewhere? Thank goodness Marcus Lattimore chose to stay home. His career was cut short, but he will be a legend in SC, and will be able to write his own ticket here from now on.
I'm not intending to be contradictory, but the best players typically just want to play football. They aren't concerned about whether or not they become legends.

The ones who focus on that kind of stuff usually don't wind up being good enough to become legends.

I have a good friend who has his umbilial cord tied to bama football. Fulton got burned to a crisp in the Texas A&M game early in the season on pass completions from Manziel to Mike Evans that big wide out who was drafted in the 1st round by Tampa Bay. Fulton barely saw the field after that game, One of the advantages of having a roster full of 5 stars.

In all due respect to Fred Bennett he played 4 full years in the league and came away with 5 INT's and 4 FF's....probably much better than a statistical "average" for an NFL corner...
Has gone on to play 3 years in the CFL with 9INT's and 1 FF.

Pretty solid football career!

Originally posted by Cock-a-Doo:
In all due respect to Fred Bennett he played 4 full years in the league and came away with 5 INT's and 4 FF's....probably much better than a statistical "average" for an NFL corner...
Has gone on to play 3 years in the CFL with 9INT's and 1 FF.

Pretty solid football career!
Never saw his stats. What I did come to understand was that his tackling was very subpar & that's why he didn't have more of a career in the League.

And there you go again, Rod. Knocking an ex-gamecock when you don't know the facts. Most of your posts are pouring criticism on current players, coaches and often ex-gamecocks.

Originally posted by Athenscock1:
And there you go again, Rod. Knocking an ex-gamecock when you don't know the facts. Most of your posts are pouring criticism on current players, coaches and often ex-gamecocks.
Correct me, then!

Really. Is it necessary? Cock-A-Doo already did for all the good it did. Bennett played in and started in the NFL for 4 years with decent stats. How many did you play?Fred Bennett played well here at USC and in the NFL.

Originally posted by Athenscock1:
Really. Is it necessary? Cock-A-Doo already did for all the good it did. Bennett played in and started in the NFL for 4 years with decent stats. How many did you play?[/B]Fred Bennett played well here at USC and in the NFL.
What's that matter?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT