ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite quote from a Carolina coach you have heard?

Phil Petty sprained an ankle during a game, and had a bad limp. The next week in practice Petty sprained his other ankle. After practice Coach Holtz reported that he has bad news and good news. The bad news is Phil Petty now has two sprained ankles. The good news, Phil is no longer walking with a limp.

Reporter questioned Coach Holtz after a game about our running back having over 30 carries and being exhausted in the 4th quarter. Holtz replied all those carries shouldn't make him tired. The ball does not weigh that much.

ā€œWell you guys watched it. We had a couple of good little runs, but I get frustrated watching our guys. They run in there and nobody tackles them and they fall down...I had to yell at a few of them today, but anyway that's just what it is. Their guy must've broke eight tackles on that one run (referring to LSUā€™s Leonard Fournette), our guy goes in there and falls on the ground (referring to David Williams.)ā€

Steve Spurrier in the 2015 LSU post game presser; he resigned two days later. Itā€™s not my ā€œfavoriteā€ quote, but itā€™s the one that had the biggest impact on me and has haunted me since. You could tell he was done, could see it in his eyes, and underscores how little pride I have always sensed in our typical athletes. No offense to anyone, but as Spurrier always said, ā€œit is what it is.ā€
Yep, that was right before he said Fā€™it Iā€™m done!

Erik Kimrey does a hilarious impression of Lou Holtz talking to his players during the 0-11 season. I forget the exact words, but the impression has become legendary among Holtzā€™s players for being spot on.

Itā€™s something along the line of, ā€œBrad Scott deserves a trophy this big for going 1-10 with you guys.ā€

The way he does it is awesome. He did it on one of his podcast episodes last year.

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
Another Lou Holtz classic before he was our head coachā€¦

ā€œWhen O.J. Simpson ran 80 yards for a touchdown against Ohio State in the 1969 Rose Bowl game, I was coaching Ohio Stateā€™s secondary. Fortunately, I was in the press box at the time.

ā€œBut when I got to the locker room, Woody came right at me and took a strategic grasp of my jugular and asked: ā€˜Why did O.J. go 80 yards?ā€™ I told him: ā€˜Because thatā€™s all he needed, Coach.ā€™ ā€

not a coach, but our AD after the Jimmy Foster cargate report in the paper. "Well, if it's true, there's somebody out there paying a whole lot of money for nothing".

Erik Kimrey does a hilarious impression of Lou Holtz talking to his players during the 0-11 season. I forget the exact words, but the impression has become legendary among Holtzā€™s players for being spot on.

Itā€™s something along the line of, ā€œBrad Scott deserves a trophy this big for going 1-10 with you guys.ā€

The way he does it is awesome. He did it on one of his podcast episodes last year.
The absolute best Holtz impersonation is by Courtney Levitt. He was a horrible kicker/punter but his impersonation is spot on! On the radio, you would think it's Holtz himself.

In one of Lou's books he told the story of him eating in a restaurant in Miami while he was there with Notre Dame to play in the Orange Bowl. The waiter asked him if he knew the difference between Notre Dame and Cheerios. Of course the answer was, Cheerios belong in a bowl. So he asked the waiter if he knew the difference between Lou Holtz and a golf pro. A golf pro gives tips.

I probably don't have the exact words correct, but a reporter asked Lou once about the difficulty of playing in Baton Rouge and he said something like "the only thing that makes playing in Baton Rouge difficult is that you usually have to play LSU when you get there."

For whatever reason, I always liked that. Funny how the programs with the most storied venues, greatest traditions, and strongest fan support are always programs that win a lot.

Notable that most of these are from Holtz, Spurrier or Morrison. Fat Brad, Muschamp, and Sparky did not leave much for posterity.
Not particularly quotes, butā€¦.

Brad; no quotes, just a perpetual deer in headlights look.

Muschamp: ā€œeckspeshullyā€

Sparky: ā€œthey have a big strawng running backā€

Reactions: usc1855
Basically this whole commercial:

"...kinda like a love tap from one of my linebackers"

August 1987

Beat writer from The State newspaper: "Coach, what do you plan to do differently this year?"

Joe Morrison: "Hire the clock operator from N.C. State."

The room erupts in laughter.

During his first meeting with the team, Holtz laid out his expectation of playing to win championships. When asked how the team responded to his message, Holtz said: "Like I'd walked into a homeless shelter and started talking about 401k plans."

Steve Spurrier

Responding to an occurrence of a fire at the Auburn football dorm that burned 20 books ...
"The real tragedy was that about 15 of them hadn't been colored yet."

Reactions: CatClause
Lou Holtz:

When all is said and done, more is said than done.

No one has ever drowned in sweat.

The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it.

Holtz: ā€œYes, the Chicken Curse is real ā€” it seems to strike whenever we donā€™t block and tackle.ā€

Holtz: When got to Carolina we could not get on Noahā€™s Ark because we did not have two of anything.

Holtz: When he got to William and Mary he had a lot more Maryā€™s than Williams.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr CockStrong
Holtz: When got to Carolina we could not get on Noahā€™s Ark because we did not have two of anything.

Holtz: When he got to William and Mary he had a lot more Maryā€™s than Williams.
Coach Holtz played the Masters last week. He was very spry.

Reactions: Tmac069
Lou Holtzā€¦ā€I always wanted to run with the Bulls in Pamplona, but I could never find someone slower than me, that wanted to do it tooā€.

joe morris said if a player ask a question on game day the coach is not doing his job if the player ask a question in practice hes doing his job so the question is on saturday there is no question because the player kown his question at practice

No Moral Victories!

ā€œI donā€™t know if any coach has told our fans, ā€˜Please donā€™t clap if we get beat. It was a game that was there to be won, and we didnā€™t do it. We walked off the field losers.ā€ SOS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT