ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite Rolling Stones song ?

Gimme Shelter is definitely a standout - I could give the award hands down. That said, the songs I listen to often (purposely every couple of months): Monkey Man (it's the Stones if they were jam band); Moonlight Mile (the drumming and vocals are perfect); Worried About You (kind of a "wall of noise" vibe when it kicks in).

But man, Gimme Shelter is so good.

So many, favorite album that really caught my attention Some Girls! 102.5 plays that Richards intro guitar riff, which is amazing, so I'll go with Can't you hear me knocking!

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking." That guitar....

According to legend, this song was recorded in one single take - the instrument jam at the end of the song was not intended to be part of the recording - bands would just start jamming at the end of songs instead of coming up with some sort of finale that they didn't prefer, and would let the audio do a "fade out" on their jam. But in this case, the engineers didn't do the fade out, and the tape machine kept on recording without the band members knowing. It was supposed to be a song that lasted under 3 minutes.

The Stones - as well as other bands - would come up with songs by doing this - by jamming. They have a guitar riff of some basic, foundational thing, and would just jam it until they realize they can make a song out of it, or they realize it's not worthy. Then they go back and fill the song out with accompanying instruments, and lyrics.

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" is one of my most favorite Stones songs as well, along with "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Gimme Shelter". Among many many others. Also I like "Jumping Jack Flash":

Reactions: SLODAWG
L/ong list of great tunes from that crew, but I will go with Gimme Shelter

I'm an old guy, so I'll go with 19th Nervous Breakdown

Reactions: 92Pony
According to legend, this song was recorded in one single take - the instrument jam at the end of the song was not intended to be part of the recording - bands would just start jamming at the end of songs instead of coming up with some sort of finale that they didn't prefer, and would let the audio do a "fade out" on their jam. But in this case, the engineers didn't do the fade out, and the tape machine kept on recording without the band members knowing. It was supposed to be a song that lasted under 3 minutes.

The Stones - as well as other bands - would come up with songs by doing this - by jamming. They have a guitar riff of some basic, foundational thing, and would just jam it until they realize they can make a song out of it, or they realize it's not worthy. Then they go back and fill the song out with accompanying instruments, and lyrics.

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" is one of my most favorite Stones songs as well, along with "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Gimme Shelter". Among many many others. Also I like "Jumping Jack Flash":

That is some really good info. there, I would have never known that!

If you haven't seen it, I always loved this part of Hail Hail Rock 'N' Roll, although Keith is at his edge, as I would be, it's hard to argue with the originator! Thank God for some of these old school guys!

That is some really good info. there, I would have never known that!

If you haven't seen it, I always loved this part of Hail Hail Rock 'N' Roll, although Keith is at his edge, as I would be, it's hard to argue with the originator! Thank God for some of these old school guys!

I have always liked this clip, but Keif never played it right!

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I have a long list - too many but haven’t seen Brown Sugar mentioned so don’t want to leave that or Midnight Rambler out. Or 19th Nervous Breakdown or No Expectations or You Got Me Rocking or Monkey Man or ……….

Midnight Rambler is their best song. Amazing see them perform live at their peak.

Happy is another favorite of mine.

I've liked Emotional Rescue every since I heard it one night in Capt Harry's Blue Marlin in Charleston.Ah,Capt Harry's .Those were the days.!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT