ADVERTISEMENT

When do we start burning Redshirts 🔥

GamecockNYSC

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2020
I dont know enough a Beemer's mind but I know Spurrier would have been burning redshirts like it was the revolutionary war until he found a running back or other positions true depth.

Why do no RS Freshman play here, but all day in top 5 programs? Help me understand...

I dont know enough a Beemer's mind but I know Spurrier would have been burning redshirts like it was the revolutionary war until he found a running back or other positions true depth.

Why do no RS Freshman play here, but all day in top 5 programs? Help me understand...

Totally agree. I don't get it either. We could certainly use some additional options this week.

You can't coddle players in general with the NIL and portal around. Players can be gone in an instant.

Many on the other board are stating we shouldn't play Sellers this weekend because it might hurt his confidence?

Sellers is a much larger QB and I'd rather have him play a series or two with the game still undecided if we struggle with Rattler.

Otherwise, the likely scenario is he comes in during cleanup when they are teeing off. That's exactly how Hilinski got injured.

Sellers (QB), Bailey (QB), Braswell (RB), Harbor (WR), Russell (WR), Horton (WR), Cox (TE), Brown (TE), Shivers (OL), Babalade (OL), Mains (OL), Sweigart (OL), Baugh (OL), Howard (LB), Floyd (DB), Swain (DB), Collier (DB), Sandy (DB), Blackshear (DB), Umeozulu (DE), Whyce (DT), McLeod (DT).

That's 22 RS Freshman that played against Furman.

Reactions: GamecockNYSC
Many on the other board are stating we shouldn't play Sellers this weekend because it might hurt his confidence?
Coach Beamer hinted that he is not really ready yet. I am concerned about is Sellers does not play well then the fans will trash him which he would likely transfer to another school.

Coach Beamer hinted that he is not really ready yet. I am concerned about is Sellers does not play well then the fans will trash him which he would likely transfer to another school.
I worry that he'll transfer because he didn't get meaningful playing time while we struggle and perhaps lose a string of games.

I worry that he'll transfer because he didn't get meaningful playing time while we struggle and perhaps lose a string of games.
I think Sellars is a Cam Newton type QB, with one heckuva upside. Put him in with a special set of plays once or twice against UGA. Also, let Joyner throw 2 or 3 halfback passes to keep the defense off balance. Sellars may very well beat out Dody next year. He has a shotgun for an arm, and 6'3" and 240. He is elusive as a runner and pretty dern accurate as a passer. The long TD throw was, absolutely, dead on target. He, also, threw a slant over the middle with surgical accuracy.

I think Sellars is a Cam Newton type QB, with one heckuva upside. Put him in with a special set of plays once or twice against UGA. Also, let Joyner throw 2 or 3 halfback passes to keep the defense off balance. Sellars may very well beat out Dody next year. He has a shotgun for an arm, and 6'3" and 240. He is elusive as a runner and pretty dern accurate as a passer. The long TD throw was, absolutely, dead on target. He, also, threw a slant over the middle with surgical accuracy.
I am a little concerned about the spectacles... can he play at all without them (or with contacts)? I can't think of any star QBs who had to wear them every snap.

Totally agree. I don't get it either. We could certainly use some additional options this week.

You can't coddle players in general with the NIL and portal around. Players can be gone in an instant.

Sellers is a much larger QB and I'd rather have him play a series or two with the game still undecided if we struggle with Rattler.

Otherwise, the likely scenario is he comes in during cleanup when they are teeing off. That's exactly how Hilinski got injured.
I like Sellers and he’s a South Carolina boy waiting in the wings. When Rattler is completing 80% of his passes you can’t let the freshman play. He played against Furman when it got out of hand and hopefully there will be several games like that.

Besides we’re paying Rattler crazy money and it just doesn’t make sense to pay someone millions and then have a freshman get out there and play with the game on the line.

Reactions: Ward Jr
I like Sellers and he’s a South Carolina boy waiting in the wings. When Rattler is completing 80% of his passes you can’t let the freshman play. He played against Furman when it got out of hand and hopefully there will be several games like that.

Besides we’re paying Rattler crazy money and it just doesn’t make sense to pay someone millions and then have a freshman get out there and play with the game on the line.

Totally agree. Rattler was great yesterday. Kept us in the game as long as he could with no run support. He also kept himself healthy making those quick decisions.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Totally agree. Rattler was great yesterday. Kept us in the game as long as he could with no run support. He also kept himself healthy making those quick decisions.
Having said that I do get your point of getting Sellers meaningful snaps. It’s good for us if Rattler gets hurt. It’s good for the future. I would assume he signed knowing he’s the guy after Rattler and would not be looking for greener pastures earlier. But in this era of transfer portal and NIL, who knows.

Rattler might be the best talent we ever had at quarterback. Since last years Tennessee game he has been outstanding. Sellers knew he would be behind Rattler on the depth chart when he signed with USC. This year belongs to Rattler. The next four years belong to Sellers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT