ADVERTISEMENT

When was the first game you attended at WB and describe the details if

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
you remember them. I start this thread every year right after baseball season.

The first game I attended at WB was 1971. I have been a Gamecock fan since circa 1960 but 1971 was the first time I got to visit WB and watch a USC football game in person. The Gamecocks were playing Maryland and USC won handily. I don't remember the exact score but the Gamecocks won easily.

It was the first year the West Upper section was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. Dickie Harris was a senior and the leading punt returner in the nation, if I'm not mistaken.

I remember sitting in the stadium and looking around and saying to myself "this is the most beautiful stadium I have ever seen in my life". No other stadium I had ever seen came close to being as pretty as WB.

I had ridden to the game with an old friend. He and I attended a lot of games together after that at WB to watch our beloved Gamecocks play. Sadly, he passed away five or six years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gradstudent
October 28, 1967 - my freshman year - beat Maryland 31-0 for Homecoming. Went with my roomate, my 2 high school buddies who also were at Carolina, and the President of the Freshman class. Had a blast and got drunk as a skunk AFTER the game - not during or before.

Mine was during the Grantz years. Don't remember the exact year. I think we played GA Tech, and Grantz ran wild. I also remember seeing a game vs App St. during that time. Best seats we could get were in the South end zone. I do recall the band wore T-shirts and white pants instead of uniforms because it was so hot even though it was a night game. I went to Clemson games some back then too, and recalled how amateurish Clemson's band was by comparison . We lived in Laurens County about an hour's drive, and could easily leave home by 10 AM, park, tailgate, buy a HS ticket for $5, hit the bathroom and find our seat with time to spare by kick off at noon. My how times of changed.

September 19, 1998. We played Marshall, I remember either 2-3 of their band members or 2-3 of our band members fell down during a routine they were performing on the field before the game, and I also remember us on multiple occasions having a delay of game penalty in the early part of the game. We lost 24-21, I didn't know at the time that Marshall was good, but I knew at that point we were in for a bad season.

you remember them. I start this thread every year right after baseball season.

The first game I attended at WB was 1971. I have been a Gamecock fan since circa 1960 but 1971 was the first time I got to visit WB and watch a USC football game in person. The Gamecocks were playing Maryland and USC won handily. I don't remember the exact score but the Gamecocks won easily.

It was the first year the West Upper section was opened and the first year of Astro Turf. Dickie Harris was a senior and the leading punt returner in the nation, if I'm not mistaken.

I remember sitting in the stadium and looking around and saying to myself "this is the most beautiful stadium I have ever seen in my life". No other stadium I had ever seen came close to being as pretty as WB.

I had ridden to the game with an old friend. He and I attended a lot of games together after that at WB to watch our beloved Gamecocks play. Sadly, he passed away five or six years ago.
I had a part-time job as a laborer in 1970 building the West upper deck. It was a great job for a freshman. I'm very proud of it today.

10/10/87

Cocks-40
Virginia Tech-10

Thorough butt whoopin'. Sat in the South Endzone. 2001 took my breath away. My memories of the game were a long TD pass to Bethea, not understanding why the Hokie fan near me was wearing a hat that said "VPI," & chuckling when the student section & band did the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you."

Last edited:
Kent State in '95. Dad and uncle were sitting in different parts of the stadium; agreed beforehand on an amount that if we were ahead by after the third quarter we would leave. We left

My first game that I remember was the nebraska game back in the 80's that they almost pulled off...

Reactions: Lakecock1
Oct 4, 1975.
Dad took me to see us play the Baylor Bears. He was originally from Texas... never liked Baylor. USC won 24-13.

'87 UVA game I believe. Went with my dad and grandfather. We put up 58 points and Sterling ran back a punt for a td. He was my hero as a kid.

The first game I distinctly remember at WB was the 1988 game we got destroyed by Florida State. I had been to a few games before that but that game was the earliest I remember that I can 'distinguish' today.

I remember having a good time tailgating at the Armory and then coming home with no one talking.

Earliest memory of an away game was Georgia 1987. We lost and I remember getting hit in the face with a rubber chicken by a drunk Georgia fan.

November 18, 1978....you guys were player WF. I was in the upper deck listening to the Clemson/MD game on a radio. Another Clemson fan was about 12 rows in front of me listening as well.

We cheered at really odd times during your game.

Reactions: mab4usc
East Carolina 10/27/84, Gamecocks won 42-20 to go 7-0

I'm a bandwagon fan, jk, i was kid first game my Dad took me to, may he was lol

Went to my first road game later that year, combined with a trip to see my grand who parents lived in DC, oh wait, not a good story.

Last edited:
September 13, 1981 Wichita State. Got to see Big George run during his Heisman campaign. Don't remember how many yards he had, but we beat 'em 73-0. 'Shellacked' is how the State called it the next day.

September 19, 1998. We played Marshall, I remember either 2-3 of their band members or 2-3 of our band members fell down during a routine they were performing on the field before the game, and I also remember us on multiple occasions having a delay of game penalty in the early part of the game. We lost 24-21, I didn't know at the time that Marshall was good, but I knew at that point we were in for a bad season.

Two future pro QB's in that game Chad Pennington and Anthony Wright

That had the famous Hambrick quote, he ran all over them that night, 19 carries for 141 yards or something like that, Scott only gave him the ball 19 times, and he was asked why he did not get the ball more and what if he had.

This jewel from TB Troy Hambrick: ''If if was a fifth, we'd all be drunk tonight.''

10/10/87

Cocks-40
Virginia Tech-10

Thorough butt whoopin'. Sat in the South Endzone. 2001 took my breath away. My memories of the game were a long TD pass to Bethea, not understanding why the Hokie fan near me was wearing a hat that said "VPI," & chuckling when the student section & bad did the "we're gonna beat the hell outta you."

A pic from that game, awesome uniforms!

Sharpe0022.jpg

1989 vs. Va Tech. Tied 17-17 if I recall correctly. Walked in the game kinda late with a bunch of buddies and they just let us in with no tickets lol

1962 vs Wake Forrest. Someone got hold of the Deacons hat and started passing it around the stands. Did not go over with the Deacon.

Also whenever we didn't like the ref's call, our fans chanted "refs ain't got no daddy" over and over.

Was a great Gamecock first experience.

1962 vs Wake Forrest. Someone got hold of the Deacons hat and started passing it around the stands. Did not go over with the Deacon.

Also whenever we didn't like the ref's call, our fans chanted "refs ain't got no daddy" over and over.

Was a great Gamecock first experience.

Was that the game we lost to WF which had the longest losing streak in the nation at the time? And was it the same year we lost to Tulane, which had the longest losing streak in the nation, several weeks before we lost to WF?

Carolina Stadium was officially renamed Williams-Brice Stadium on September 8, 1972.

1997 Taters game... Thats all I have to say about that!

Just remember my tailgating buzz wore off when Antwan Edwards made the pick 6 that made it 33-14. Very vividly remember his mirror facemask coming right at us sitting in the students section. We left right after that and resumed drinking in the fairgrounds.

Not sure of first game. First memorable game we lost to Duke in 82. I was 12. My neighbor took me. I remember fans yelling "bell, belll- go to hell"
Then after the game we were heading to Laurens down 26. A Duke fan pulled up beside us and started yelling "we beat your azz". My neighbor didn't take no chit and he got in front of him and came to a stop on the shoulder. Neighbors nick name was Bird because all his pictures in his hiigh school year book he was shooting a bird lol. Anyway, Bird ran up to the car and said u didn't beat my azz ! Get out and let's see if you can beat my azz. The dude sped off. At 12 I admit I was a little scared but I knew right then gamecock fans stand up and don't take no chit

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
September 13, 1981 Wichita State. Got to see Big George run during his Heisman campaign. Don't remember how many yards he had, but we beat 'em 73-0. 'Shellacked' is how the State called it the next day.
I was also at that game, but, that actually happened during the 1980 football season. I remember about a month after the Shockers blowout, South Carolina hosted the Cincinnati Bearcats for the annual homecoming game. Inside the stadium there was banners/signs posted that South Carolina would score 100 on the Bearcats in which they only put up only half of that (49 points, all in the first half). I think that homecoming game was when the new mascot, Cocky. was introduced which eventually phased out Big Spur.

East Carolina 10/27/84, Gamecocks won 42-20 to go 7-0

I'm a bandwagon fan, jk, i was kid first game my Dad took me to, may he was lol

Went to my first road game later that year, combined with a trip to see my grand who parents lived in DC, oh wait, not a good story.

That was my first game also. A friend of mine asked me to go. His dad was a graduate and booster with extra tickets. I used to listen to the games on the radio, but the 84 east carolina game was the first time seeing it in person. After that I was hooked. Been a fan ever since. I still vividly remember as a kid when after listening to the first half of the navy game later in the season, my mom called me into the kitchen to eat an egg salad sandwich and said " looks like they are going to get beat today " and I said "they've got time, they'll come back ". The anguish is still there

Was that the game we lost to WF which had the longest losing streak in the nation at the time? And was it the same year we lost to Tulane, which had the longest losing streak in the nation, several weeks before we lost to WF?

That was the next season. When Tulane and Wake beat us in '63, we inherited the nation's longest losing streak. Preston Dorm students were singing "hit the road Bass, your ass is grass and don't you come back no more, no more"

Oct 4, 1975.
Dad took me to see us play the Baylor Bears. He was originally from Texas... never liked Baylor. USC won 24-13.
My wife and I took my younger brother( Baylor ) student and his wife to that game. He was supremely confident in his Bears, but his feathers fell!
Freddie, not my first game! I got to see Steve Wadiak in my first one as a kid, and we beat Wake Forest in the very old Carolina Stadium with the green barn doors.

Reactions: bucketdad
Late 70's USC vs Okl State. USC offense was going no where until Carlin went to a two tight end set and fed George. Ben Cornet ( a friend of my future brother in law ) and Willie Scott. playing TE.

Late 70's USC vs Okl State. USC offense was going no where until Carlin went to a two tight end set and fed George. Ben Cornet ( a friend of my future brother in law ) and Willie Scott. playing TE.

I was there. You picked a good one.

That was the next season. When Tulane and Wake beat us in '63, we inherited the nation's longest losing streak. Preston Dorm students were singing "hit the road Bass, your ass is grass and don't you come back no more, no more"

Okay, I remember when it happened but I couldn't remember the year. Thanks for the update.

My wife and I took my younger brother( Baylor ) student and his wife to that game. He was supremely confident in his Bears, but his feathers fell!
Freddie, not my first game! I got to see Steve Wadiak in my first one as a kid, and we beat Wake Forest in the very old Carolina Stadium with the green barn doors.

WOW! Boy, would I ever have liked to seen Steve Wadiak play. Now that is something very few that are a live today can say.

I think it was 1964 when a couple of us from Easley came to see Benny "get-away" Galloway play in a freshman game.

I remember when Benny Galloway played HS ball. He was the most talked about RB I had ever heard of to come from the state of SC at that time.

I remember when Benny Galloway played HS ball. He was the most talked about RB I had ever heard of to come from the state of SC at that time.

Stanley Morgan, another great one out of Easley was almost a gamecock but went to Tenn. instead.

The talk around town was he went there because his mother needed a new house.

Reactions: pettyw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT