ADVERTISEMENT

Whenever Spurrier decides to retire

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
it will be tougher to find a replacement than it would have been pre-playoff time. Any coach from a Power 5 conference can reach the same heights more easily than from this school. Just for example. David Cutcliffe. Before the playoffs I think if we wanted him we could have gotten him. But now why would he leave his perch from an ACC school with a much easier path.
It looks to me like we are either gonna have to hire an up and comer from a smaller conference or a coach who isn't currently active but may have recently left a power 5 school If we dont make Hoke the guy.

Totally disagree. Any ACC team, but especially Duke, with a loss is not making the playoff. An SEC team with 1 loss has a great chance. Not to mention how far our facilities have come since Holtz first arrived. Really since Spurrier arrived.

We will be able to attract a highly qualified coach. I think Cutcliffe would crawl on his knees to come here. On the flip side, while I think he's a great coach, I'm not sure he's a good fit. If Spurrier leaves it will be because of age and not enough time to turn things around since the Whammy debacle. Hiring an old guy to replace him would mean we'd be right back in the same situation in a few short years.

With the salary that we'll be able to offer a coach, the facilities he'll be able to recruit with, the competition level that all REAL competitors crave(SEC), etc, the South Carolina job is highly attractive now.15 years ago it wasn't even close.

I hope you're right! I want to see this thing keep trending upward

I agree with 75CarolinaFan. First of all, Spurrier has proven beyond a shadow of doubt, that you can win big at South Carolina in football. We had 3 straight Top 10 rankings, including number 4 in the nation in recent years. We are in the most prestigious conference in the nation. Our facilities are/will be top-of-the-line, improving all the time. We have SEC money, which will only get fatter as the SEC Network progresses.I can see getitng a Power 5 coach like Dave Doeren of NC State. I can see getting a good coach and recruiter outside the Power 5 like Tom Herman of Houston.

One factor that is underestimated is the prestige of the South Carolina job now that it has been held by a Hall Of Fame coach for the past 17 years straight. Open the wallet and, a quality coach will come.

Totally disagree. Any ACC team, but especially Duke, with a loss is not making the playoff. An SEC team with 1 loss has a great chance. Not to mention how far our facilities have come since Holtz first arrived. Really since Spurrier arrived.

We will be able to attract a highly qualified coach. I think Cutcliffe would crawl on his knees to come here. On the flip side, while I think he's a great coach, I'm not sure he's a good fit. If Spurrier leaves it will be because of age and not enough time to turn things around since the Whammy debacle. Hiring an old guy to replace him would mean we'd be right back in the same situation in a few short years.

With the salary that we'll be able to offer a coach, the facilities he'll be able to recruit with, the competition level that all REAL competitors crave(SEC), etc, the South Carolina job is highly attractive now.15 years ago it wasn't even close.

Nevertheless, any school that tells a potential HFC, 'Look, man, you've got at least ONE MILLION $$$ to spend on recruiting, and sure as the ovens of Hell are HOT, you better use it and ask for more, because tens of thousands of pissed off fans will be watching you!'

I think that'll get the message across!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT