ADVERTISEMENT

Where recruiting will end up?

B-Braz

Aug 11, 2011
I have been reading a lot of posts that say "this is one of the best classes ever" and that got me to thinking several things about recruiting. Some of the same people who claim star ratings aren't worth anything are some of the same ones who are claiming that this class is one of the best because it is ranked 13th in the country, right now, and this rankings comes from stars. But enough with that.What really gets me is where we will end up or where we could actually fall to.

We have 26 commitments and are in shape to take 4-5 more. As of Chris' last post Mark Fields was getting closer to being a long shot and the OL from Maryland has taken all of his visits and we don't have a shot if he doesn't visit. These are the only prospects ranked in the top of rivals 250 that we are even mentioned to be in the ball game with, as things stand right now. So I think it is safe to say that our "star ranking" will only take a hit as recruiting moves forward.

Now, with that said, there are 48 prospects ranked in the top 250 left uncommitted and several teams that are ranked behind us that are in on those schools. Think about this:

Schools that will pass us
1. Oregon ranked in the top 20 and only has 19 commits, which means they will take at least 5-6 more recruits and possibly up to 10-11.

2. Ole Miss is right behind us also and has 16 commits so if they take at least 9 more they will surpass us.

3. LSU also only has 16 commits and could take at least 9 more.

4.UCLA has taken 18 and are in on some big recruits and will take 6-10 more.

5. Oklahoma has 19 so they will take 6-10 more and they just hired an OC that puts points on the board so it is conceivable to think they could probably land one or two high profile offensive weapons.

Schools that could pass us
1. Stanford had a down year and is around the top 30 but only has 14 prospects. So they could take another 10-15 prospects. I wonder how many more are like the WR from SC waiting to hear if they are getting admitted.

2. Michigan State has 15 so they will take another 10-14 and I think they are around the top 30 also.

2 top schools hitting the road hard
1.Michigan only has 6 recruits committed, so they will probably take about 20 more commits and oh by the way in case you missed it they just got Jim Harbaugh to be their coach.

2. Florida also only has 8 commits and they will probably take another 15 or so and Florida carries prestige that USC doesn't. So even though they finished with same record, they have kids from the state whose dream was to put on the blue and orange of UF.

So we are looking at being about 18-20, not terrible, especially after a 7-6 season with all the turmoil that has been going on in the past month and a half. But, what if all these schools pass us and then a few others like a TCU or a Wisconsin.
What if we end up ranked 25-30 or even out of the top 30. Before you say we will not, just remember there are still some of our recruits taking visits to other schools, so it is still possible we could lose one or more of our current 26.
For those who are claiming the recruiting is going fine will you still believe this? I mean if we go from at one time a top 5 recruiting class, (that was never going to stay top 5 even if we kept all the commits due to other schools signing more players), to out of the top 10 to not even in the top 30?
Would this maybe bring cause for concern to those of you who think everything is going to be ok?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News