ADVERTISEMENT

Where things stand immediately after MLB Draft

C

Collyn Taylor

This year's MLB Draft is officially over and we'll have plenty more on it over the next few days as guys either sign/opt to come to school. Plenty to discuss about it, but let's start with exactly who got drafted.

Current players
TJ Hopkins (Reds): 9th round, No. 264
Luke Berryhill (Reds): 13th round, No. 384
Reid Morgan (Mariners): 13th round, No. 396
Jacob Olson (Cubs): 26th round, No. 792
Ridge Chapman (Angels): 34th round, No. 1,021

Signees
Tyler Callihan (Reds): 3rd round, No. 85
Ivan Johnson (Reds): 4th round, No. 114
Andy Peters (Rays): 21st round, No. 638
Brennan Milone (Dodgers): 28th round, No. 851
Noah Myers (Blue Jays): 30th round, No. 897
Brannon Jordan (Rays): 31st round, No. 938
James Nix (Astros): 35th round, No. 1,066
Thomas Farr (Rangers): 37th round, No. 1,105
Jeff Heinrich (Mets): 40th round, No. 1,196

--I'll begin first with the biggest elephant in the room in Tyler Callihan, who slipped a little but was still taken in the first 100 picks of the draft. From everything I'm hearing, it's likely he'll sign a professional contract. His demands are well over $1 million but the Reds should be able to give him that. They drafted a lot of big price tags early but filled their day two selections with a lot of seniors, which are cheaper to sign. Usually when guys go that high, they've already somewhat negotiated a bonus with that team.

--The biggest surprise of today was probably Luke Berryhill, who went really on Day 3 to (shocker) the Reds. Not shocking he got picked but just how early it was. Berryhill worked out for the Reds in a pre-draft workout and really impressed them and moved quickly up their draft board. I know his asking price is well above what the slot usually is for the 13th round and it probably won't budge, so it's a matter of if the Reds will be able to match that. If they do, then things could get interesting. At this stage, before negotiations really get underway, I'd expect him back at South Carolina. He's got some leverage this year having two years left and is on track to graduate next spring so there are some incentives for him to come back.

--As for Reid Morgan, I've gotten the sense he'd like to sign a professional deal and he was drafted high enough to probably work out a signing bonus that works in his favor. I've mentioned it before but his draft stock probably won't get higher than it is this year as a junior coming off a season where he had a solid season showing scouts he could start games if needed. He'll probably profile as a reliever at the next level.

--Interesting note, but Andy Peters was picked up early on Day 3 in the 21st round by the Rays. He's coming off Tommy John surgery in February and plan for him was to enroll this summer and begin rehabbing with South Carolina's medical staff. I talked to him for a second today and right now, I'd still say that's still the plan but Peters will take some time to think things over. If he comes to school, he could pitch himself into a day two selection. Just a matter of what he wants to do.

--We reported things were trending in the right direction for both Brennan Milone and Brett Thomas to enroll in school and that's where things stand right now. Milone had a decently hefty price tag and things became pretty clear on Day 2 as the picks rolled in Milone will end up in school, and he was picked in the 28th round but I feel really good about his chances of getting to school. Teams don't hand out Day 1 or Day 2 money that late. Thomas wasn't drafted at all, and we'll have more on him tomorrow but he'll be a pretty big piece of next year's team.

--A few junior college players went on Day 3 in outfielders Noah Myers and James Nix along with pitchers Brannon Jordan and Thomas Farr and utility infielder Jeff Heinrich. They were all drafted 30th round or later, which usually means they'd come to school. I think that ultimately happens with all five.

I talked with Jordan today and he confirmed with me the plan's still to come to school and enroll before school starts in August.

--As for Ivan Johnson, he'll likely sign a professional deal.

--An interesting one to get picked up was Ridge Chapman, who battled a forearm injury that kept him out pretty much the entire season. Still working on getting more on him but going to try and round something up either tonight or tomorrow.

Still working on getting in touch with a lot of these guys to get their plans, but this is what I've been hearing the last few days. A lot more could change the next few days and we'll try and stay on top of all of it.

Members of the 2019 class not drafted: Luis Aviles, Jax Cash, RJ Dantin, Jonathan Machamer, Will McGregor, Shane Shifflett, Brett Thomas, Trey Tujetsch, Braylen Wimmer

Draft-eligible players on this year's roster not drafted: George Callil, Chris Cullen, Cole Ganopulos, Gage Hinson, Ian Jenkins, Graham Lawson, Hayden Lehman, TJ Shook

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News