ADVERTISEMENT

Where we lost today’s game

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
There were a number of plays that were killers today. I’ll list the ones that stand out to me in a moment.

• Overall we played pretty decent, but MSU came out as flat Auburn did, but we only managed to end the half up by 7. At one time I think the lead ballooned to 15, but we could have/should have been up by 20-25. MSU couldn’t buy a bucket, and we just did not take enough advantage of it.

• Gravett had a good game, but the pic and layup in the last minute of regulation by the MSU guard was a killer.

• The press where we left a MSU guard run down the middle of the floor unguarded for a slam ... also a killer ( I think it was in OT, but not sure)

• Silva getting swiped in OT during last 1:00-1:20. Might have been the only time in the whole game he didn't get double/triple teamed as soon as he caught the ball. I think he would have had an easy score + I think MSU scored on this turnover as well.

• Trying to block a layup, fouling, and giving up the basket to boot. The refs were calling this game tight. If you’re gonna contest a layup, get your money’s worth on the foul ... meaning do not ever let the other guy get the shot off!

These were just a few epic fails that came at the worst time. I guess that’s why I remember them. We lost to a pretty good team. They were 17-1 coming into this game, so they have played well at home. We invent ways to lose it seems, but I am proud of the way our guys hung in there, and sent the game to OT. Gravett looks like he’s ready to take that next step. I like the way he’s played lately. We just might be the best .500 team in the country.

Reactions: Gradstudent
There were a number of plays that were killers today. I’ll list the ones that stand out to me in a moment.

• Overall we played pretty decent, but MSU came out as flat Auburn did, but we only managed to end the half up by 7. At one time I think the lead ballooned to 15, but we could have/should have been up by 20-25. MSU couldn’t buy a bucket, and we just did not take enough advantage of it.

• Gravett had a good game, but the pic and layup in the last minute of regulation by the MSU guard was a killer.

• The press where we left a MSU guard run down the middle of the floor unguarded for a slam ... also a killer ( I think it was in OT, but not sure)

• Silva getting swiped in OT during last 1:00-1:20. Might have been the only time in the whole game he didn't get double/triple teamed as soon as he caught the ball. I think he would have had an easy score + I think MSU scored on this turnover as well.

• Trying to block a layup, fouling, and giving up the basket to boot. The refs were calling this game tight. If you’re gonna contest a layup, get your money’s worth on the foul ... meaning do not ever let the other guy get the shot off!

These were just a few epic fails that came at the worst time. I guess that’s why I remember them. We lost to a pretty good team. They were 17-1 coming into this game, so they have played well at home. We invent ways to lose it seems, but I am proud of the way our guys hung in there, and sent the game to OT. Gravett looks like he’s ready to take that next step. I like the way he’s played lately. We just might be the best .500 team in the country.

I really didn’t understand the slow down with 15 minutes to play in the second half. There were two, maybe three straight possessions that we just stood at half court and dribbled until 10 seconds left on the shot clock before going into our offense. God knows we aren’t that good on offense to put that kind of pressure on it.

50-50 balls, fancy dribbling, errant passes, not much off-ball screen action.

Gave them 21 points off turnovers...Hassani turned it over 8 times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT