ADVERTISEMENT

Where's our plane rank?

DibbleDee

Nov 16, 2020
Saw the photos of Beamer arriving in Columbia and was surprised to see we "only" have a turboprop airplane. Out of curiosity, I looked up Bama's. Not sure which is the better plane...I'd assume jet > turboprop, but I know nothing about planes. Ours has greater seating capacity. I guess some universities are scrapping private plans altogether.

10090458.jpg

21saban-tests-11-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Our plane is a Beachcraft King Air (looks like a 350h and it is the perfect turbo jet for regional use. It is fast, carries lots of weight, and can land on shorter runways than most private jets. Also very reliable and cheaper to operate. Alabama has an Astra which is older, longer legs, and a bit faster but less reliable and needs more runway to operate.

For our mission the King Air is a very good selection. Great airplane.

One of ours crashed down around Beaufort when Holtz was here. I believe he was being picked up. It's fortunate he wasn't being dropped off. One pilot killed, one injured.

Reactions: uscalumni
Saw the photos of Beamer arriving in Columbia and was surprised to see we "only" have a turboprop airplane. Out of curiosity, I looked up Bama's. Not sure which is the better plane...I'd assume jet > turboprop, but I know nothing about planes. Ours has greater seating capacity. I guess some universities are scrapping private plans altogether.

10090458.jpg

One of my favorite pictures was the Clemson jet (my avatar) parked beside this Bama jet at the Teterboro, NJ airport....I think we were competing for the same recruit. The UofSC plane is a Beechcraft King Air, which is an excellent plane. The advantage of a jet is the speed is significantly faster than a turbo-prop, which allows to spend more time on the ground recruiting and less time in the air.

Clemson upgraded from the a King Air in 2015.

Neff said the jet "flies at speeds significantly faster" than the King Air, has comparatively low operating costs and a "reputation for reliability within the aviation industry."

Interestingly, all the associated costs for having a private plane come to a tick over $700k.

I don't think anyone buys them new. That's even too rich for the likes of Bama.

Reactions: uscalumni
That is Clemson's plane and it is owned by the University, not leased. It is a Cessna Citation CJ3. The Bama plane is an Israel Aircraft Industries Astra SP. The two planes are very comparable and allow for a big recruiting footprint. Saban has been known to take helicopters from the airport and land at high school football fields on recruiting trips. This not only saves time, but is very impressive to recruits.

Florida's got a pretty nice looking one (2011 model): http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/1/N101FG.shtm

10199_1082632043.jpg

UGA sold theirs off a couple years ago and just uses charter services now.

UT (same model as ours, but 4 years older): http://www.aviationdb.com/Aviation/Aircraft/1/N111UT.shtm

DSC_0006.JPG

I think it rates pretty "high" ... sorry, could not resist ... ;)

10090458.jpg

That is Clemson's plane and it is owned by the University, not leased. It is a Cessna Citation CJ3. The Bama plane is an Israel Aircraft Industries Astra SP. The two planes are very comparable and allow for a big recruiting footprint. Saban has been known to take helicopters from the airport and land at high school football fields on recruiting trips. This not only saves time, but is very impressive to recruits.
I like the idea of using a Helo, for the reason stated above. Land at the Kid's home field has to impress.

They bought this jet from the state of South Carolina at a very reduced price. Stirred a lot of controversy with politicians and I think Nikki Haley took some heat because of it.
They were using the states plane for years until they bought their own.

Our plane is a Beachcraft King Air (looks like a 350h and it is the perfect turbo jet for regional use. It is fast, carries lots of weight, and can land on shorter runways than most private jets. Also very reliable and cheaper to operate. Alabama has an Astra which is older, longer legs, and a bit faster but less reliable and needs more runway to operate.

For our mission the King Air is a very good selection. Great airplane.
Comparing these two aircraft, which one is better suited for stormy weather? Also, can either of the two planes withstand a bird strike?

One of ours crashed down around Beaufort when Holtz was here. I believe he was being picked up. It's fortunate he wasn't being dropped off. One pilot killed, one injured.
Bo Rein died while in a plane that was on the way back to Baton Rouge from a recruiting visit. The aircraft ended up crashing out in the Atlantic ocean. It is believed what caused the crash with Rein also caused the crash of the aircraft that Payne Stewart traveled on.

Comparing these two aircraft, which one is better suited for stormy weather? Also, can either of the two planes withstand a bird strike?
I'd rather be in a King Air if weather got sketchy. It has lots of wing area and can maintain control at lower speeds. I don't have any data on bird strikes but I'd think they'd be less catastrophic or likely in a King Air, as a King Air travels at much lower speeds when in proximity to the ground. Birds can avoid easier and impact would potentially have less energy.

I'd rather be in a King Air if weather got sketchy. It has lots of wing area and can maintain control at lower speeds. I don't have any data on bird strikes but I'd think they'd be less catastrophic or likely in a King Air, as a King Air travels at much lower speeds when in proximity to the ground. Birds can avoid easier and impact would potentially have less energy.
Thanks.

I've been in a King Air and it's killer! Went from Greenville to Lynchburg TN in the owners plan for a job interview. I indicated love of flying and desire to get PL and from that point we ended up talking more about flying and the KA than the job. I did get the offer and was told his two pilots were certified instructors, but use of plane was a no go.

I have flown in a King Air 350 a lot, and I mean a lot. I have been in many areas that include bad weather, storms, snow, icy runways, you name it. It has always been a fabulous ride, even in rough conditions. The Army and Air Force have a fleet of them as well.

UGA sold theirs off a couple years ago and just uses charter services now.

This is only tangentially related, but it might be indicative of the times from the standpoint of business. Some funeral homes, even some that are relatively busy, are letting their limousines go, and some even their hearses, and using companies that rent these vehicles and will even provide drivers if needed. The move to cremations and the desire of consumers to minimize funeral costs have brought about this trend. I think it will only proliferate.

Bo Rein died while in a plane that was on the way back to Baton Rouge from a recruiting visit. The aircraft ended up crashing out in the Atlantic ocean. It is believed what caused the crash with Rein also caused the crash of the aircraft that Payne Stewart traveled on.

I recall this story. Bo had been the HC at NCST as I recall. Hadn’t been at LSU too long. His plane flew out over the ocean and disappeared, I believe. For some reason I thought it was the Gulf of Mexico? Atlantic?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT