ADVERTISEMENT

Who are some of the coaches, that were very successful at smaller programs but were unsuccessful at larger programs?

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
In more recent times the ones that come to mind for me or
1. Frost at Nebraska - Man he set the world on fire at UCF.
2. Charlie Strong at Louisville (although I'm not sure that would be considered a smaller program). Man, I though he would have worked wonders at Texas.
3. Tom Herman - This one really blows my mind. He did great at Houston then goes to the largest program in the same state with all the recourses that money could buy. But his results on the field have not come close to matching the Texas' fans expectations.

These are just a few off the top of my head. The reason I posted the above is because we sometimes think if Coach A did great at a small program they are automatically going to be world beaters. And sadly that is not always the case.

Last edited:

Ya’ll had the same line of thinking around the same time it seems..

How about Jim Tressel coming from FCS Youngstown State (63 scholarships) to Ohio State FBS. That worked pretty good for a while. Didn’t it?

Dick Sheridan and Bobby Johnson went Fromm Furman (FCS) to NC State And Vanderbilt.

Paul Johnson went from Ga Southern (FCS) to Navy and then you Ga Tech.

Larry Fedora looked like a sure thing after his stint at Southern Miss, but he couldn't get it done at UNC.

Edit: Actually, Fedora had UNC moving in the right direction, but then it all fell apart, for some reason.

Those that were highly successful.....
From the Cradle of Coaches:
Woody Hayes
Bo Schembechler
Ara Parseghian
Dick Crum

How about Jim Tressel coming from FCS Youngstown State (63 scholarships) to Ohio State FBS. That worked pretty good for a while. Didn’t it?

Dick Sheridan and Bobby Johnson went Fromm Furman (FCS) to NC State And Vanderbilt.

Paul Johnson went from Ga Southern (FCS) to Navy and then you Ga Tech.
Johnson did pretty well at Vandy, but my recollection is that he about played out at Vandy. Is that correct?

Reactions: rogue cock
Johnson did pretty well at Vandy, but my recollection is that he about played out at Vandy. Is that correct?
It ramped up and went down. He retired right at the beginning of the 2010 season. Left Robbie Caldwell to coach the team that season.

Tom Herman is doing about what all the other Texas coaches has done except Mack brown. Heath cline talked about this about a week ago.

Norvell, at FSU has surprised to me to extent. Yes, this is only his first year and the jury is still very much out on him, but I would have expected him to win more than two games with the talent he has in Tallahassee. One of the wins was against Jacksonville State and the other was against a good UNC team.

Reactions: rogue cock
Butch Jones was great at Cincinnati. He was terrible at Tennessee.

Another great example of the fact, there is no magic formula for selecting a successful coach based on previous experience with very few exceptions, e.g., SOS, Meyer, and a few more.

It ramped up and went down. He retired right at the beginning of the 2010 season. Left Robbie Caldwell to coach the team that season.
So, essentially he did what Spurrier did. Would that be correct? Was he castigated for it? I don't remember.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT