ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think is the greatest Artist or Band of your generation??

Oh it’s only voice? Got ya...I could’ve sworn both were singer / songwriters / musicians / etc...

Most lists will have Elton above Freddie Mercury. You found the category where Mercury excels, his voice (I’d agree he had a more talented voice). I said Freddie Mercury was talented. I have no problem anyone saying he’s better. Hell, someone said R.E.M. in here. But you said more talent in his pinky...which is just ridiculous. And dying in the 80’s sounds like it works as an argument but it doesn’t. 1) that sort of thing would boost sales. We’ve seen this. People eat that up. It’s one reason why Queen is remembered how they are. 2) you may say he wasn’t producing new music. But other groups like the Beatles broke up and didn’t produce music.

And Elton did this as a solo act. How did Freddie Mercury’s solo act go? He needed Queen.

Again, you can say Freddie Mercury was better. No issue there. But you said it wasn’t even close. More talent in his pinky...which is just ridiculous.
And I still stand by that claim. pinky, big toe, etc....Freddie's voice is so much better than Elton's....
Put in a search engine, "whose the better singer, Elton John and Freddie Mercury?" I did it for fun and man, Freddie wins by a long shot by posters....

And I still stand by that claim. pinky, big toe, etc....Freddie's voice is so much better than Elton's....
Put in a search engine, "whose the better singer, Elton John and Freddie Mercury?" I did it for fun and man, Freddie wins by a long shot by posters....

Again, we aren’t asking better singer. It never was about the better singer. After I responded to your comment, you searched and found the list ranking by singers. I have never claimed Elton is a better singer. I don’t even think Elton John is a better singer. That’s not the question and never was.

It would be like asking who is the better poster on this forum between me and you. I clearly possess better reading comprehension and understand context, so I’d take the lead there. But that doesn’t make me the better poster, which is what the question is. There are a lot of other factors which I mentioned earlier, but like I said, I’d lead in reading comprehension. ;)

Last edited:
If I had to pick 1, MICHAEL JACKSON! Yeah I know about his disgusting pedophilia and molestation. But the man was an absolute electric entertainer without peer.
Don't think I would go so far as to say he was without peer. In fact, I would put him second behind Elvis as a pure entertainer. Watch some of his videos on YouTube. Such a rapport with his audiences and his sense of humor would always come through.

Again, we aren’t asking better singer. It never was about the better singer. After I responded to your comment, you searched and found the list ranking by singers. I have never claimed Elton is a better singer. I don’t even think Elton John is a better singer. That’s not the question and never was.

It would be like asking who is the better poster on this forum between me and you. I clearly possess better reading comprehension and understand context, so I’d take the lead there. But that doesn’t make me the better poster, which is what the question is. There are a lot of other factors which I mentioned earlier, but like I said, I’d lead in reading comprehension. ;)

Reading comprehension...lol...
Here's what you said in your original post...
"he’s the greatest musician of this recent era"...

That was a very broad statement....

.I disagreed...you INITIALLY should have responded, "in my opinion, Elton is my favorite of the era"

Sorry dude, but your comprehension on several levels is lacking...imo

Artist: Elvis the total package
Group: The Beatles
Plenty more really great ones: U2, Marvin Gaye, Elton John, Hank Jr., plus many more
Didn’t appeal to me: Queen, Boston, Bob Dylan ( I recognize the talent but the voice wasn’t very good to me)

Reactions: uscedge21
Reading comprehension...lol...
Here's what you said in your original post...
"he’s the greatest musician of this recent era"...

That was a very broad statement....

.I disagreed...you INITIALLY should have responded, "in my opinion, Elton is my favorite of the era"

Sorry dude, but your comprehension on several levels is lacking...imo

A musician and singer aren’t exactly the same thing. Im glad you even acknowledge I said musician in my original post. That pretty much proves you are the one not comparing apples to apples the entire time. The difference being, I said musician. I informed you what I based my comment on. You then compared Mercury to Elton knowing I said musician. You didn’t say anything about him being a better “singer” until your 3rd post about this, which I suspect is because the only lists You were able to find that rank Mercury over Elton are “voice / singer”. But thanks for telling me how I should have responded, though.

My issue wasn’t you preferring Mercury over Elton but how you said it (though it is odd you singled out Elton John for some reason). That’s why I responded in the first place and even acknowledged I understood someone feeling that way, but that it was the “more talent in the pinky” comment that was ridiculous. It’s not even if he has more talent, I’d get that. I would’ve never commented like every other post in this thread. But in his pinky? No, sorry dude...you aren’t correct on that one.

As I said earlier, you didn’t mention “singing” at all in your original response. Why would I think otherwise? And yes, talent (which you said) is more than just signing. Yes a musician does more than sing...

What I read most say is both made tremendous impacts in the world with their music. Mercury had the better voice, maybe the best ever, but Elton was no doubt the better songwriter / musician. Keep in mind I have never once said Mercury wasn’t tremendous.

But you can have the last word in this. I have nothing to say about it any longer. These conversations aren’t profitable and go nowhere. Anyone who thinks anybody in this world ever had more talent in one finger than an icon like Elton John is clearly not capable of being reasonable. The same could be said of anyone that feels anyone in the world has more talent in their pinky than Freddie Mercury. The comment is just not correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Expro19
I just talked about Elton John in another thread and to me, he’s the greatest musician of this recent era.

I’ll say it’s impossible to choose just one with so many genres out there.
As far as an Artist, and the influence he's had to this date in regards to rock guitar (and I mean the phases/groups such as hard, heavy and metal guitar), Eddie Van Halen has had the most wide and deep influence AFTER those such as Hendrix, Clapton and Page, and has went on to influence those such as Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson and Yngwie Malmsteen just to name a few off the top of my head!!!

Eddie has had one heck of an influence, but then there's Randy Rhoads and the influence he's had on just 3 albums before he died in a plane crash back 1982!!

Anyway, JMHOFWIW

Reactions: redrogers
Thought about this long and hard and I envy so many of you guys that grew up in the era of the Beatles , Stones , Zeppelin , Floyd etc etc etc... What artist or band did you grow up with that you think will be as important 20 years from now as they were in their prime ?? Guys like Hendrix , Stevie Wonder , Elvis , Bob Dylan , Chuck Berry etc etc . I’m 45 so I gotta say Prince would be head and shoulders the top guy with MJ (the other MJ not the Nike guy) #2 . I was in a kid when Purple Rain came out and I still listen to that Album almost weekly . What do you guys think ??
If I had to pick only one, which I can't, it would be Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band.

most choices just tell the ages of listeners but like someone else said, zeppelin,beatles,pink Floyd and others from the 70s will be popular forever.. very good bands from later generations will be just that.. very good especially for the ones that grew up with them,but will never have the longevity as the before mentioned,and that tells the whole story. sorry to the ones who love bands like stone temple pilots but that's the way it is even tho you cant see it that way..and that's ok too,nothing wrong with touting what you grew up with as they are obviously very popular bands also

The correct answer is Tool...
Stinkfist and Ænema are two of my favorite all time tunes. Hooker with a Penis ranks up there pretty well too. Schism and Sober are two good radio tunes... I also love a lot of a Perfect Circle and Puscifer though, so it may just be Maynard James Keenan's voice I really love.

Reactions: redrogers
I do not know about being the greatest band, but Velvet Underground and Nico record title Andy Warhol was one of the most influential records made.in my opinion. Music groups that I listen to point to that record that inspired them.

The-Velvet-Underground-and-Nico.jpg

Stinkfist and Ænema are two of my favorite all time tunes. Hooker with a Penis ranks up there pretty well too. Schism and Sober are two good radio tunes... I also love a lot of a Perfect Circle and Puscifer though, so it may just be Maynard James Keenan's voice I really love.

How about that. I was never a Tool fan (at all), but did like A Perfect Circle a lot. Never knew they shared a lead singer. Who says you can't learn anything from a message board!

It's hard to argue with Zepplin,The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elvis, MJ, or Prince. But as far as talent I'd go with Billy Joel. The man knows music like the back of his hand. He can do everything from pop to punk to classical. He can make whatever music he wants and do it well. Listen to The Longest Time and you can picture 4 guys standing around a burning barrel, acapella style. Or the River of Dreams puts you in a jungle somewhere. Or Uptown Girl takes you straight back to The Four Seasons style. And he pulls them all off. And as for song writing, just look at This is the Time, Honesty, or And So it Goes. I know there are many others with more hits or more popularity, but for the total package, talent wise, I say Billy Joel

Since I was born in the 70s and came up in the 80s and early 90s, I'd say REM. In about a 10 year period, starting with "Murmur" and ending with "Automatic for the People", they released eight great albums, all of which are classics. They had a few good albums after that, too.

Billy Joel had a ton of good ones. Elton John has surgery that changed his voice and is still great. Even his newer stuff is good. One nobody has mentioned Garth Brooks.

From a band perspective that’s tough. My favorite is Mumford and sons. They are great but not the fad band. Nirvana is the one that is always garnering respect (although I prefer Pearl Jam)

Purely subjective exercise here. Born in 1950,my idiosyncratic personal favorites as musical geniuses are Bob Dylan,followed closely by Buddy Holly.

Thought about this long and hard and I envy so many of you guys that grew up in the era of the Beatles , Stones , Zeppelin , Floyd etc etc etc... What artist or band did you grow up with that you think will be as important 20 years from now as they were in their prime ?? Guys like Hendrix , Stevie Wonder , Elvis , Bob Dylan , Chuck Berry etc etc . I’m 45 so I gotta say Prince would be head and shoulders the top guy with MJ (the other MJ not the Nike guy) #2 . I was in a kid when Purple Rain came out and I still listen to that Album almost weekly . What do you guys think ??
Van Morrison

Last edited:
Reactions: rhinocock72
Purely subjective exercise here. Born in 1950,my idiosyncratic personal favorites as musical geniuses are Bob Dylan,followed closely by Buddy Holly.
Bob Dylan is probably the greatest songwriter of our time, but his singing is pretty, pretty bad. The song writing makes up for it though.

Reactions: rhinocock72
Or maybe Carlos Santano

Carlos is one of my favorite musicians of all time . First time I saw him live it was almost like a religious experience. There are very few musicians who seem to have an open channel from their heart and soul to their instrument ... John Coltrane , Stevie Ray Vaughn , Hendrix , Ravi Shankar etc etc but Carlos is certainly one of those guys . He’s definitely a musical Shaman .

Reactions: boatingsportscock
As far as an Artist, and the influence he's had to this date in regards to rock guitar (and I mean the phases/groups such as hard, heavy and metal guitar), Eddie Van Halen has had the most wide and deep influence AFTER those such as Hendrix, Clapton and Page, and has went on to influence those such as Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson and Yngwie Malmsteen just to name a few off the top of my head!!!

Eddie has had one heck of an influence, but then there's Randy Rhoads and the influence he's had on just 3 albums before he died in a plane crash back 1982!!

Anyway, JMHOFWIW

Great point . Eddie was definitely ahead of his time . I think Eddie and Randy were in a way the greatest and worst things that happened to Rock guitar . Their technical ability was draw dropping but what made them different is they also played very melodically . Problem is they spawned a legion of shredders that spent so much time and energy into getting faster and faster that they lost all soul . I don’t put Satch and Vai in this category because those two guys are two of the most melodic cats ever , but you know the guys I’m talking about . Even during the 70s guys like Gary Moore and Jeff Beck were as fast as anyone but they were amazingly soulful. Much rather listen to guys like that than a guy that sounds like a typewriter. I think that’s why Eddie and Randy are still so revered. Everything they played served the song . Personally I respect the hell out of a guy like Yngwie but I would never go to a show or buy one of his records .

Anyone who says anything other than Spinal Tap loses my respect.

when he said:
“The bigger the cushion the sweater the pushin”

That spoke to me man.
Don’t forget the highly intellectual Sex Farm Woman.
“ Plowing through your beanfield....bothering your livestock....hosing down your barn door...”
David St. Hubbins was a visionary.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
Bob Dylan is probably the greatest songwriter of our time, but his singing is pretty, pretty bad. The song writing makes up for it though.
Certainly unconventional singing.There are songs in which he sings in a more conventionally “good” voice-those songs are admittedly hard to find.But unconventional is just his thing.
Girl from the North Country on Nashville Skylines album an example.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockycurran
KISS and RUSH for me. I grew up with those bands and they were my escape from parental control and conformity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT