ADVERTISEMENT

Who else is pumped about fishing?

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
About to bust loose. Bought another boat last October and can’t wait for this spring.
I fish throughout the winter in my club but something about the start of a new year. And club year, that gets you going.
Finished 3rd last year but am In 2nd after the first two tourneys this year (Dec/Jan).

I went Saturday and Sunday. Caught 2 and 1, respectively. Yeah, this is the season where anticipation ramps up. I'm hoping to be able to get on the water several times in Feb., especially full moon of the month.

Just a few more weeks my brother fishermen! First couple of weeks in Feb is MEAT time! but like the OP said, PUMPED UP!

Caught 18 yesterday . 3 over 4lbs . We are already getting some spawning fish down here . Hopefully by Valentine’s Day the sight fishing will be in full swing .

Reactions: TheReelEss
Caught 18 yesterday . 3 over 4lbs . We are already getting some spawning fish down here . Hopefully by Valentine’s Day the sight fishing will be in full swing .
You must be in Florida lol... I was talking about Murray, Wylie, Wateree, Greenwood & Clark Hill just to mention a few.

We already tearing them up. Stripers now, hopefully crappie soon. The bass are starting but I don't ever target them myself.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
My truck is an 08 with 180,000.
A nice truck still. But it’s funny all the purchases I am eyeballing are for my
boat. Different prop, mapping cards, etc...
Funny how I just get in the truck and drive it. But the boat must be perfect.

You must be in Florida lol... I was talking about Murray, Wylie, Wateree, Greenwood & Clark Hill just to mention a few.

Yeap . We got it pretty good down here . They usually start spawning in mid February but it’s a pretty consistent bite all year . I mainly live bait fish so they will eat a wild shiner 12 months out of the year . I get excited for Pompano season which is right around the corner!! That’s favorite fish to target . Light tackle sight fishing for Pomp’s is just the best . I loved fishing Clark’s hill as a kid . Do the big stripers still get on top during the fall??

Yeap . We got it pretty good down here . They usually start spawning in mid February but it’s a pretty consistent bite all year . I mainly live bait fish so they will eat a wild shiner 12 months out of the year . I get excited for Pompano season which is right around the corner!! That’s favorite fish to target . Light tackle sight fishing for Pomp’s is just the best . I loved fishing Clark’s hill as a kid . Do the big stripers still get on top during the fall??

No. They do not.
As a matter of fact the fall topwater action was mainly nonexistent.

No. They do not.
As a matter of fact the fall topwater action was mainly nonexistent.

Dang that’s crazy . You think it’s the higher temps during the fall the last few years ?? That bird watching , running and gunning was a blast . Down here the big bull reds do basically the same thing but the last few years they’ve really haven’t done it either . Strange

what do you guys throw during winter months? I have 9 acres behind my place at the beach that has monster bass in it but I typically don't fish it during the winter.

what do you guys throw during winter months? I have 9 acres behind my place at the beach that has monster bass in it but I typically don't fish it during the winter.
I don’t bass fish nowhere near as often as I used to, but I caught my biggest bass out of pond in February years ago throwing a Berkley jerkbait. I do love pond fishing when the weather warms up. I’ve caught tons with a Texas rigged worm as well as with flukes and floating worms.

Reactions: Judson1
I usually take only 3 rods during winter rigged with a jig/craw combo, spinnerbait and lipless crank (Spot or Rat L Trap). Another good one is a football jig fished near deep structure. You need to fish slow when the water temp is below 50. There are other techniques, but I do what I like.

The stripers were schooling two weeks ago pretty good. It's all about timing with the weather/atmosphere.

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Hand raised here. Going to Santee Saturday with my pops. Ready to rip some lips!

I’m going to Santee Saturday also, with my son. Probably putting in at Blacks, either hitting Marion or Moultrie depending on the wind..

Where are y’all putting in?

You get into any of the Peacocks or Snakeheads down there. I used to fish Florida a lot, but most tournaments i have fished have been on Kissimmee chain and St John's in recent yrs.

You get into any of the Peacocks or Snakeheads down there. I used to fish Florida a lot, but most tournaments i have fished have been on Kissimmee chain and St John's in recent yrs.
I caught some peacocks with a guide two Decembers ago. It was a bucket list thing. You have to get to So FL for that. Like south of Ft Lauderdale. They won't make it through any cold weather. I fished another day in the Everglades for largemouth. I lost count of the fish I caught both days.

Reactions: 1vagamecock

That pond (I’m assuming pond?)will warm up fast. If you see a 2-3 day warming trend hit that place on the 2-3rd day in the afternoon. They will really get shallow as it’s the warmest water in there. Jig, spinnerbait, worm. Whatever u have confidence in. Just look shallow and around any cover.

About to bust loose. Bought another boat last October and can’t wait for this spring.
I fish throughout the winter in my club but something about the start of a new year. And club year, that gets you going.
Finished 3rd last year but am In 2nd after the first two tourneys this year (Dec/Jan).
Last year I finished 2nd in 2 different trails and 7th in my big one.
I won 3 times 2nd once and 3rd once.
So last Saturday I was excited for the first tournament of the year, and I never got a bite! Water temp here in Virginia was 39-45 just to cold I guess.

Reactions: Judson1
I caught some peacocks with a guide two Decembers ago. It was a bucket list thing. You have to get to So FL for that. Like south of Ft Lauderdale. They won't make it through any cold weather. I fished another day in the Everglades for largemouth. I lost count of the fish I caught both days.
That's why you take a clicker to the everglades. 95 in one day there last February.

Reactions: TheReelEss

I’m in the Panhandle so the Peacocks and Snakeheads don’t make it this far north . They have a hard time tolerating water temps under 70 . I sure wish we had some Peacocks up here !!!

I’m in the Panhandle so the Peacocks and Snakeheads don’t make it this far north . They have a hard time tolerating water temps under 70 . I sure wish we had some Peacocks up here !!!
Yeah, not excited about snakeheads but they have been found in like 17 states now. But I sure would like to catch some peacocks. I was headed to the Amazon until the economy crapped out back in 2008.

I have fished Okeechobee several times and have had good and bad trips. I never made it to peacock water yet but I plan too. I used to fish BASS regional tour, BFL, Bassmaster Wknd Series, clubs, etc and still have my last sponsored Triton, so I have fished a ton in the southeast waters. Now I just fish the local stuff, that's a young man's game unless you are wealthy and don't have to work on top of all the travel or you actually made it to the elite status. I was almost there at one point but now it's for the love of fishing and the love if competition!

Reactions: 1vagamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT