ADVERTISEMENT

Who likes to watch your team have a dominating defense vs high scoring game?

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
I know, just win no matter how they do it. I can’t recall the last USC team had a dominating defense but when we have a dominating defense, the other team knows there’s almost nothing they can do to win. It gets in their heads. I think it’s fun to watch.

A quote: Legendary football coach Paul “Bear” Bryant famously said, “Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships.”

link

A dominating defense gives the offensive more opportunities to scores and good field position in which to do it. That is the best winning formula and always had been. It's no coincidence that we had the best records when we had the best defenses.

I like defensive battles, but I also enjoy it when triple option teams like Army or the old Georgia Southern go on 15 play, 80 yard scoring drives that eat up an entire quarter. To me that would be best of both worlds: a great D and a ball control offense that doesn't give your opponent many possessions.

Reactions: vacock#
I used to love the days when we had a dominant defense. However, you have to have some kind of at least serviceable offense nowadays. You can't expect your details to win you a 3 point game every week.

I'll admit to being a shallow fan- I want offense. While there is much to be said for bone-jarring sacks, give me the deep ball and ankle-breaking RBs all day. Defensive struggles remind me too much of the general futility of soccer.

It's been scientifically proven that 17-13 is the best game-to-score ratio of all time.

It's been scientifically proven that 17-13 is the best game-to-score ratio of all time.
giphy.gif

Loved the Fire Ant days with Joe Lee Dunn! We absolutely rattled some teams during those years.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I know, just win no matter how they do it. I can’t recall the last USC team had a dominating defense but when we have a dominating defense, the other team knows there’s almost nothing they can do to win. It gets in their heads. I think it’s fun to watch.

A quote: Legendary football coach Paul “Bear” Bryant famously said, “Offense sells tickets. Defense wins championships.”

link

I agree with Bear.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I've always thought a dominant defense will make an average offense look really good. I don't think I've ever seen a dominant offense make an average defense look really good.

During our 5-year win streak against Clemson, I seem to remember the defensive performances in those games more than the offense. I remember in the 4th quarter of those games having no real concern that Clemson would be able to come back because our defense was honed in. That was a lot of fun. I had a lot of fun watching Rodney Williams struggle against a dominant Gamecock defense back in 1987 too.

I've always thought a dominant defense will make an average offense look really good.

A perfect example is Kentucky, last year. A sixth ranked scoring defense and top 20 total defense paved the way for all 10 wins.

Critics complained that the OC didn’t air it out, and that QB Wilson struggled at times. But the modest production of the O was about all that was needed, with opponents averaging only 16 points a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT