ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the greatest college basketball player ever? That beady eyed imbecile, Skip Bayless, is...

Idk. I really enjoyed watching kevin Garnett and jermaine O’Neal play at USC.

kevin Durant is the last good player I saw compete at college.

Wilt Chamberlain averaged 30pts 18 rebounds.

Maravich averaged 44.2 over 3 seasons. Not discounting Wilt at all...the 18 rebs are tremendous as well. But hard to imagine...with no 3-point shot...or shot clock. 3,667 total points in 83 games.

For reference, BJ McKie is our All-time leading scorer with 2,119 career points during a 4-year career (123 games). Maravich could not play his freshman season per NCAA rules. Those numbers won’t fall

Last edited:
Kentucky's basketball team wasn't integrated as last as 1966. In 1995, Kevin Garnett went pro out of high school.

So the golden age was around 1970-1995 when the very best players played college basketball.

Within that time frame, I would say it's close between Bill Walton and David Thompson.

I look at it as if I could choose any 1 college player from any era to pick for my team who would I pick for my first five.
1. Wilt
2. Jordan
3. Kareem
4. Magic
5. Russell

Pistol.........

Then Thornwell, but thats pure bias. otherwise

Pistol, and there is a reason when your nickname is Pistol

...arguing it is Michael Jordan. He is surely taking a contrarian view just because, since the answer is Lew Alcindor(Kareem).

Absolutely correct! Jordan, in college terms, would barely make the top ten seeing that Bias was better in Jordan's last two years in the ACC. But then, a certain generation who grew up idolizing "Mike" in the '80's or 90's always confuse most famous and most publicized (or frankly most prostituted by Nike, McDonalds, Gator Aid, etc) with most talented and most productive.

It was said the only man alive to hold Jordan to less than 20 points a game was Dean Smith. That said he doesn’t belong on a college list. I remember being surprised early in his career how great he was becoming once he got into the pro game.

Reactions: howard13
On a side note - the college game at the Houston Astrodome (at the time, called the "Game of the Century") between UCLA and Houston (Lew Alcindor vs Elvin Hayes)... was an eye-popping monumental game between two great college players and teams. Both teams were undefeated at the time and ranked No. 1 & No. 2 during the 1967-68 season.

50,000+ fans were in attendance at the packed dome. Houston won 71-69. It ended UCLA's 47 game winning streak.

Reactions: Bad seed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT