ADVERTISEMENT

Who would have been happy if we had lost McClendon? NOT ME

Horseshoe 04

Jan 5, 2014
West Ramp
For any number of reasons (Recruiting be the most obvious). We are creating & developing people that are in demand. If we had lost B MAC in this process our program would have been wounded.
Will interviewed others and chose this path.

All Gas NO brakes. let 2018 unfold a bit before we judge the B Mac era.

What a crock! So you want to allow an assistant coach to hold you hostage? There are plenty of good recruiters that can coach WR. Muschamp needed a big hire, since his offenses have struggled the whole time he’s been a HBC. This is a huge risk!

For any number of reasons (Recruiting be the most obvious). We are creating & developing people that are in demand. If we had lost B MAC in this process our program would have been wounded.

This helps recruiting BIG TIME as well!! African American OC and DC is USC!!
2019 will be (Trump accent) Huuuuge

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
What a crock! So you want to allow an assistant coach to hold you hostage? There are plenty of good recruiters that can coach WR. Muschamp needed a big hire, since his offenses have struggled the whole time he’s been a HBC. This is a huge risk!
Perhaps, but I am going to bet on Will this time. I'm a little nervous but no where near the point of doom & gloom.

Risks have to be taken as there are not very many sure things, except Waffle house always being open (death & taxes)

Reactions: rogue cock
McClendon needs to go out to Oklahoma and visit with Lincoln Riley. Then...on the way back, stop down in Florida and get in Lane Kiffen’s Head (scary is that might be). They are two of the top offensive minds in the country.

McClendon needs to go out to Oklahoma and visit with Lincoln Riley. Then...on the way back, stop down in Florida and get in Lane Kiffen’s Head (scary is that might be). They are two of the top offensive minds in the country.
I'd go to Florida first, weather is a concern.

The same argument used for Whammy and , going back, Richard Bell. Just because I personally didn't want to lose McClendon doesn't mean this is a good move. It may turn out to be, but our history says otherwise.

The same argument used for Whammy and , going back, Richard Bell. Just because I personally didn't want to lose McClendon doesn't mean this is a good move. It may turn out to be, but our history says otherwise.
Don't recall Whammy being a recruiting stud, thought he had Ellis Johnson's D. The drop off was like a cliff.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

You beat me to it..Been thinking for days that no matter who got the OC job the entire offensive staff should spend a week with Lincoln Riley in Norman...They keep all kinds of stress on even the best of defenses...What they did to Jawja and Ohio St is unbelievable...Both those defenses are loaded will NFL draft picks

Yeah, maybe ESPN won't hate us now right?

We barely get much run on our own beloved SEC network. We are barely an occasional footnote to the mother ship (aka espn). It took the Flying Thornwell's magical journey for them to have to pay a little attention to us. Even after the Bowl win, it was more about Harbaugh's let down, not that we won.
Thank heaven Dawn Staley forces the issue for them to have to mention us at times.

Reactions: Coppertopp
You beat me to it..Been thinking for days that no matter who got the OC job the entire offensive staff should spend a week with Lincoln Riley in Norman...They keep all kinds of stress on even the best of defenses...What they did to Jawja and Ohio St is unbelievable...Both those defenses are loaded will NFL draft picks

You need to go back and read this board then. Tell me what McClendon has done so wonderful in the area of recruiting?

I'm thinking our recent WR recruits have been pretty good, and we dismiss our OC prior to the early signing period and we didn't have a bunch of Decommits from our incoming offensive recruits. I'm thinking McClendon's reputation as a recruiter is respected in the coaching community and on this board, by most....

BMAC didn't mention who but at the press conference he said that he had already talked to Muschamp about making some visits to other programs before he was promoted. He stressed the importance of always trying to learn and to grow. It will be interesting to see where he visits.

BMAC didn't mention who but at the press conference he said that he had already talked to Muschamp about making some visits to other programs before he was promoted. He stressed the importance of always trying to learn and to grow. It will be interesting to see where he visits.
I heard that too. It would be interesting to see where he visits. I wonder if we'll hear about it though.

Don’t wanna lose him. Great recruiter. The identity of the offense and playcaller will have a much bigger impact on the team than a single recruiter though. Hope he does well but Boom is rolling the dice on his 5th different OC hire.

Reactions: rogue cock

That's a very small sample size in a game full of brilliant calls by Riley. No team (other than Auburn) has even come close to putting up those types of numbers and points on UGA. Just imagine if he could've had better calls on the plays Joel Klatt is referencing? They would've put 50 on UGA in regulation.

I'm thinking our recent WR recruits have been pretty good, and we dismiss our OC prior to the early signing period and we didn't have a bunch of Decommits from our incoming offensive recruits. I'm thinking McClendon's reputation as a recruiter is respected in the coaching community and on this board, by most....

I've been following recruiting since 85, we never had a bad recruiting class or a coach that wasn't a "great recruiter". It's not a reason to promote him to OC.

I've been following recruiting since 85, we never had a bad recruiting class or a coach that wasn't a "great recruiter". It's not a reason to promote him to OC.

His body of work ,resume ,track record and respect within competitors in the SEC didn’t hurt his chances either.

Good recruiter is most time used to try to build up a coach that has ???????

Everyone said spurrier was a terrible recruiter. The rivals ranking he brought in say otherwise

His body of work ,resume ,track record and respect within competitors in the SEC didn’t hurt his chances either.

I'm not saying he is not a solid candidate, what I'm asking or the point I'm trying to make "is he the very best candidate available". It's a mute at this point. He is hired , he's a Gamecock and I'll be pulling for him to excell. I have a few reservations, but hey, Muschamp hired him , he has more riding on this hire than any other hire in his career. This hire will make or break his head coaching legacy.

Lane is OFFENSIVE alright but the only thing top of his mind is getting laid! Jesus I wish people would STFU about Lane Kiffen. He is the most corrupt lying POS to ever be given so many shots at running programs into the ground, he gets some BS THIRD TIER job playing against cupcakes every week and has one good offensive season there and now he is one of the top offensive minds in the country? Nope. Not even close. He failed in record time at Oakland, caused riots in UT and was run our of USC AND BAMA- they LEFT HIS ASS AT A BUS STOP! Where in his history of coaching has he shown any signs of intelligence or legitimacy? Please, just stop. If my OC went to LANE for advice I would FIRE HIS ASS ON THE SPOT! We want nothing that that guy is selling.

one thing nobody seems to mention about this hire- it is a different approach than his previous hires. He has typically gone for the more “proven” offensive coordinators in the past and NONE worked out! So the people sayin he should have gotten someone “better” with more experience are basically recommending our coach practice insanity- doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. Nobody knows if this promotion of a young, up and coming coach will work or not. But, what we do know if that going out and hiring the biggest name (Weiss) or the experienced, “proven” guy who did well at a lesser school (Roper from Duke), did NOT work four consecutive times for Boom. Good on him for recognizing that and trying something new!

Reactions: taiwancock
Gamecock LiferWell-Known Member

Lane is OFFENSIVE alright but the only thing top of his mind is getting laid! Jesus I wish people would STFU about Lane Kiffen. He is the most corrupt lying POS to ever be given so many shots at running programs into the ground, he gets some BS THIRD TIER job playing against cupcakes every week and has one good offensive season there and now he is one of the top offensive minds in the country? Nope. Not even close. He failed in record time at Oakland, caused riots in UT and was run our of USC AND BAMA- theyLEFT HIS ASS AT A BUS STOP! Where in his history of coaching has he shown any signs of intelligence or legitimacy? Please, just stop. If my OC went to LANE for advice I would FIRE HIS ASS ON THE SPOT! We want nothing that that guy is selling.

Wow...Who’s this winner? This isn’t an etiquette class. What does Kiffen’s personality have to do with the FACTS? His offenses have consistently moved the ball and scored points. We’re not trying to get personality points from Kiffen’s...just some football philosophy.

I don't think this is as big a risk as a lot of you are making it out to be. If it were just BMac then I'd agree, but since Champ brought in Werner I think it is about as safe as possible. Think about when Holtz hired Strong. Strong was unproven, but Holtz did exactly what Champ is doing for BMac. He put years and years of experience around him, and we all know how that turned out. Strong became a great defensive coordinator. The same could occur for BMac, or he could tank. If the latter, Champ may not get but a couple of years, but I don't think that's going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT