ADVERTISEMENT

Why did we hire Roper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead, some don't understand the lack of flow or identity on O.
You don't think it's youth, lack of talent in certain positions, and learning a new offensive scheme? I've also wondered about some of the play calling, but I'm not at practice and don't know what they can handle. Give him atleast a year and a couple off seasons before you condemn him

You don't think it's youth, lack of talent in certain positions, and learning a new offensive scheme? I've also wondered about some of the play calling, but I'm not at practice and don't know what they can handle. Give him atleast a year and a couple off seasons before you condemn him
I'm not criticizing. I'm from the old school of each true frosh who starts equals a loss. I agree with your youth comment. I'm on record of saying I'm giving Boom a fair amount of time, although his keeping Elliott doesn't give me a warm feeling. I'm also cognizant that Aubie's D is much better this year. So, the jury is definitely out.

I'm not criticizing. I'm from the old school of each true frosh who starts equals a loss. I agree with your youth comment. I'm on record of saying I'm giving Boom a fair amount of time, although his keeping Elliott doesn't give me a warm feeling. I'm also cognizant that Aubie's D is much better this year. So, the jury is definitely out.
Well, I'm from the old school says you don't start firing coaches mid-season in year one as a head coach when you take over a team that has to be re-built. What kind of message does that send and how would it affect OL recruits if he cut Elliott loose right now?
But I'm sure HCWM appreciates the time you're giving him and he hopes you are intelligent enough to realize the process of rebuilding, scholarship limitations and the level of play making talent that he needs to replace to be successful and will be patient enough to give him the time required to accomplish this monumental task before trying to run his ass off prematurely.
And JFTR, your negative comments about improvement of a unit he he coached for one season doesn't support that notion.

I played here i played there...you didnt play so you dont know anything...blah blah blah..i know this much my 4 year old grandson can predict what plays we run....and i know roper and muschamp were crap at florida and they are going to be crap.at usc...

Reactions: Patrick 1471
We scored 34 points because we got 4 turnovers and our avg starting field position was the UMASS 40 yard line and it's UMASS!!!! Bentley played well but Roper is a joke . Throw that zone read out the window until you can learn to read AND block it . And while your throwing stuff out , If I see one more Bubble Screen that loses 3 yards or no gain I'm gonna break stuff . Mark my words ... next week against Tenn we are won't score 10 pts . This is the same garbage he ran at Florida and it's gonna get a pretty good head coach fired AGAIN .
I hope you are wrong but i agree with ya.

I played here i played there...you didnt play so you dont know anything...blah blah blah..i know this much my 4 year old grandson can predict what plays we run....and i know roper and muschamp were crap at florida and they are going to be crap.at usc...

You probably know about as much as your grandson. You think we need to trick to other team, fool them so they won't know what we are doing, right? Let's dial up a play they won't expect. Never mind whether or not our players can execute it. Its all about what play you call. What a moron.

My crystal ball says Elliot will be let go after signing day. I think Roper needs another year or two with what he was given. However, I think Bobby Bentley will be our OC within a couple years.

Why signing day? Keeping him to after signing day hasn't worked so far

I am just going to assume you never played organized football. Because most plays are predictable by the defense. I played small college football as a line backer. We always knew 80% of the plays. You watch film and you see how the plays are run and it is easy to recognize them develop. The thought that the only plays that work are the ones that are secret usually come from people who have never played. Most all Wildcat formations, run by all who run them, give away the "what" we are going to do but not the "where" we are going to do it.

You people who are caught up in the "play calling" reason for SC not being good, need to go somewhere for a football lesson. Maybe go to the women's clinic next next. We do not have enough good players. The plays are fine.

Do we have good enough coaches? Time will tell.

Everyone knows what Bama is doing on every play...so what, no one can stop them. Same as LSU last night....everyone one knew exactly what LSU was going to do and Fournette ended up with almost 300 yards....it's execution from the OL on back, not the play calling.

I am just going to assume you never played organized football. Because most plays are predictable by the defense. I played small college football as a line backer. We always knew 80% of the plays. You watch film and you see how the plays are run and it is easy to recognize them develop. The thought that the only plays that work are the ones that are secret usually come from people who have never played. Most all Wildcat formations, run by all who run them, give away the "what" we are going to do but not the "where" we are going to do it.

You people who are caught up in the "play calling" reason for SC not being good, need to go somewhere for a football lesson. Maybe go to the women's clinic next next. We do not have enough good players. The plays are fine.

Actually, I did play some organized football. I dont claim to be any football genius and dont normally spend a ton of time calling out coaches because I am no football genius. However, if you cant see that Roper - so far - has been incredibly boring and that the conservative play calling almost cost us this game, you are far from the football genius you are claiming to be. As its already been pointed out numerous times, Roper seems to be stuck on these little screens that have gotten us nowhere. A handful of deep passes and almost no passes over the middle. Oh, and again, lets bring BMac out again on 4th and inches and everyone knowing whats coming and not make a first down against UMASS! PITIFUL. Oh, and if Elliot is still coaching next year, I will have lost any hope of real change coming.

However, if you cant see that Roper - so far - has been incredibly boring and that the conservative play calling almost cost us this game, you are far from the football genius you are claiming to be. As its already been pointed out numerous times, Roper seems to be stuck on these little screens that have gotten us nowhere. A handful of deep passes and almost no passes over the middle.
We have attempted 224 passes so far with only 3 ints. While I agree I'd like to see him open up the passing game a little more, you can see that the coaches are not comfortable calling those deep and over the middle passes yet with BMac and Bentley. They seem to be trying to build confidence. Keep in mind the Miss st game is the only game we haven't been close late. Conservative play calling with young qbs is pretty standard in cfb until they show they can handle more.

Saw that article posted last night. Everyone calling out Roper needs to read it. Kinda puts his approach in perspective.
Yeah, I posted it. Also watched some Duke games from his tenure as the OC when he was hired. It is an impressive offense that puts a lot of decision making on the QB and can be very explosive. Seems to be several RPOs on every play....very QB friendly. As the article notes, it is a complex offense.

barners concede that boom deserves credit for their improved defense this season

Pretty good head coach thing is debatable......of course, you are as good as who you surround yourself with. But, even at 47-48, CWM will not need to work if he lives to be 100 after a few more seasons here, and one would think he'd be out with a few lousy seasons, but if the buddy system is true, then probably not......

When is any head coach hire not debatable until they have had enough time to prove their worth.. I can tell you .. very seldom.

You didn't watch the game. You're reading about it. We were outclassed on offense today. Their QB threaded passes to WRs and TEs that we haven't had a QB capable doing in years. Our passing game was bubble screen and fade. We will get KILLED next week on that.

...and exactly what game did YOU watch?! Outclassed? Some of you on really never cease to amaze me. We could have scored 100 today, and some would find fault with it. This was basically a high school senior we started. He still has a lot of the playbook left to learn. We did become too conservative late 3rd and early 4th, but once they pulled within 6, we managed to run our a 4 minute clock with several first downs and NON conservative calls. Contrary to what some of you want to say, good job by our offensive coaching staff!!

...and exactly what game did YOU watch?! Outclassed? Some of you on really never cease to amaze me. We could have scored 100 today, and some would find fault with it. This was basically a high school senior we started. He still has a lot of the playbook left to learn. We did become too conservative late 3rd and early 4th, but once they pulled within 6, we managed to run our a 4 minute clock with several first downs and NON conservative calls. Contrary to what some of you want to say, good job by our offensive coaching staff!!
If you think we could have scored 100 then you weren't watching the game. 4 turnovers giving us short fields were how we won. The last drive saved the game as did 4 PI calls that we rarely get. Bentleys a good qb, but this system won't work. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Yeah, I posted it. Also watched some Duke games from his tenure as the OC when he was hired. It is an impressive offense that puts a lot of decision making on the QB and can be very explosive. Seems to be several RPOs on every play....very QB friendly. As the article notes, it is a complex offense.
So complex that it takes a qb 3 years to get it? We've seen that movie before. I'm willing to give it time but there's gotta be more of an identity. It was pitiful how BMc was used on Saturday

Reactions: tob T
...and exactly what game did YOU watch?! Outclassed? Some of you on really never cease to amaze me. We could have scored 100 today
100? We didn't score half that against one of the worst teams in the country. But, I'll take whatever you're smoking.

So complex that it takes a qb 3 years to get it? We've seen that movie before. I'm willing to give it time but there's gotta be more of an identity. It was pitiful how BMc was used on Saturday
No. Big difference between installing an offense and having a player learn an offense that has already been installed. Installing an offense requires getting all the parts working together. When teaching an installed offense, all the parts are working together reinforcing what you are trying to teach a few players.

Reactions: HI Cock
Obviously a few of you have selective reading. I stated in my post that we could have scored a 100 pts and some of you would still be complaining....as in even if we had scored 100pts. No where does it state that we could have scored that many. It's still amazing that some of you make up reasons as if they were the only way we scored what we did! SMH

Kurt Roper I need you to build an offensive juggernaut by mid season . I need you to take a team who lost their top wr, te, rb and 3 on the o-line, and have the offense hitting on all cylinders by the 6th game of the season. Now I want you to do it with either a walkon qb or a true freshman qb . Your te options will be either a walkon or a redshirt freshman, and your top returning wr will be unavailable for most of the first 6 games . You will have some talented true freshman wrs but they will also be unavailable at times due to injury. Oh yeah and your top RBs will be freshman. You will have a jr rb who should be ready to step up this year though. I know you will need time to teach your scheme and figure out how the pieces best fit together, but 6 games should be plenty of time. You will be fired if the offense isn't rocking and rolling by then. One more thing, the 7th game doesn't count because it's umass and they suck!
Do you want the job or not?
Also, you can't pick your own o-line coach who knows how to coach to your schemes, but must use the one that has been here for 7+ years, who can't evaluate o-line if his life depended on it or "coach 'em up". But, he apparently has some real dirt on someone in the administration.

Reactions: rogue cock
Ropers conservative play calling AGAIN in the second half nearly cost us the game. He needs to go!!!
will agree that the play calling in the 2nd half was very conservative, but why are you not calling for Robinson job for not being able to stop umass.
Until you can stop the run and run the football, never gonna have much of a W/L record.....and by the way we can do neither.

will agree that the play calling in the 2nd half was very conservative, but why are you not calling for Robinson job for not being able to stop umass.
Until you can stop the run and run the football, never gonna have much of a W/L record.....and by the way we can do neither.
Because T-rob is Muschamps puppet , He can only recruit !!!!!

Actually, I did play some organized football. I dont claim to be any football genius and dont normally spend a ton of time calling out coaches because I am no football genius. However, if you cant see that Roper - so far - has been incredibly boring and that the conservative play calling almost cost us this game, you are far from the football genius you are claiming to be. As its already been pointed out numerous times, Roper seems to be stuck on these little screens that have gotten us nowhere. A handful of deep passes and almost no passes over the middle. Oh, and again, lets bring BMac out again on 4th and inches and everyone knowing whats coming and not make a first down against UMASS! PITIFUL. Oh, and if Elliot is still coaching next year, I will have lost any hope of real change coming.

The YMCA is no place to learn organized football. LOL. I imagine Roper has quite a few plays they are not running yet. That would be because we have two, count them, TWO freshmen QB's. One, the most effective so far, has been on campus a little over three months. Out of the 40 plays they run 20 are the same play, just to the other side of the field. Since you played "Y" football, you must have noticed how many times you practiced running the same plays, over and over. And, then, I will bet, you noticed how the more you ran them, the better you ran them. And, then when you ran them in the games, those plays were successful because you ran them well, your timing was good and the opponent could not stop you when you executed them properly. And, so it goes. I will bet your YMCA opponents could watch you play and tell which plays you ran the best, and when they played you, they knew when you needed a first down, you were going to run the plays that you ran the best. Unless your Y coach was an idiot, you ran those predictable plays because to run others gave you less of a chance to win. Am I getting through to you? Your grandson is really going to be proud, now that you know all that. Your Y coach is going to say, " Boy, the light has really come on with him."

The YMCA is no place to learn organized football. LOL. I imagine Roper has quite a few plays they are not running yet. That would be because we have two, count them, TWO freshmen QB's. One, the most effective so far, has been on campus a little over three months. Out of the 40 plays they run 20 are the same play, just to the other side of the field. Since you played "Y" football, you must have noticed how many times you practiced running the same plays, over and over. And, then, I will bet, you noticed how the more you ran them, the better you ran them. And, then when you ran them in the games, those plays were successful because you ran them well, your timing was good and the opponent could not stop you when you executed them properly. And, so it goes. I will bet your YMCA opponents could watch you play and tell which plays you ran the best, and when they played you, they knew when you needed a first down, you were going to run the plays that you ran the best. Unless your Y coach was an idiot, you ran those predictable plays because to run others gave you less of a chance to win. Am I getting through to you? Your grandson is really going to be proud, now that you know all that. Your Y coach is going to say, " Boy, the light has really come on with him."

Dayum. LOL

Then perhaps you should find a new team to pull for. We don't need your negativity. Fans like you wouldn't be missed.

Perhaps, what the rest of us intelligent fans saw, was that the players weren't open at the time Bentley made his read across the middle, and he recognized that he was going to get sacked if he held the ball too long. You don't get a second look every play. Plus, maybe he wad trying to be safe with his throws and not throw them into traffic across the middle. Also, maybe the other team had a defense on the field, and just maybe, they had the middle covered in plays the ball was intended to go there

So Auburn defense is better because Muschamp left and not because he laid out the foundation last year? You're special..

I was unimpressed with him being named OC but now, it looks like yet another terrible coaching hire. Some of the most unimaginative play calling I have ever seen. Hey! Its 4th & 2 - lets bring BMac on the field and announce to everyone in the stadium what the play will be. My 6 year old could have told you what the play was going to be. Can someone please tell me why they hired that moron.
Ask Hardesty, he'll tell you why he should NOT have

No excuse not to run Dowdle on 4th and 1 as well as 3rd and 2
He has to play BMAC as well. Both of them need the reps. Also remember that the coaches sit in these parents rooms and make promises to these parents. So is the case for Bmac getting in during the game.

He has to play BMAC as well. Both of them need the reps. Also remember that the coaches sit in these parents rooms and make promises to these parents. So is the case for Bmac getting in during the game.

I will be willing to bet, Will promised an opportunity. I doubt he told or tells recruits they will start or play. Those statement are easy for competitive recruiters to turn around on you. Smart people realize starting in the SEC takes talent, hard work, usually a combination of the two

So Auburn defense is better because Muschamp left and not because he laid out the foundation last year? You're special..
Facts are facts, no matter how much you want to twist them. Boom was there exactly 1 year. During his 1 year they were pretty bad. This year, with Boom long gone, they are much better. If you're going to credit Boom for that, then you better credit the idgits we had last year. Because according to you, the morons occupying our staff last year laid the foundation.

With that type of logic, I think you're the special one. Bless your little heart.

Reactions: tob T
Facts are facts, no matter how much you want to twist them. Boom was there exactly 1 year. During his 1 year they were pretty bad. This year, with Boom long gone, they are much better. If you're going to credit Boom for that, then you better credit the idgits we had last year. Because according to you, the morons occupying our staff last year laid the foundation.

With that type of logic, I think you're the special one. Bless your little heart.
Awbarn has one of the best defenses in sec , might give Bama a game come rivalry week

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT