ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Herbstreit recuse himself from picking a game

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
on Gameday just because he is announcing it? But on Monday he will announce a game in which his sons have a chance to get a ring. I always wondered, even years ago, why he had to remove himself from the final picks. He’s just calling the game.

It’s not so much the latter I have a problem with. But if the first of these scenarios are important enough to not submit a pick then how is the second not an issue?

Reactions: okccock
To remove any perceived bias of the game he's calling.

Why would it matter if he's biased though? Announcers are very often obviously biased when calling games.

Recusals are typically seen in situations where the person has a direct influence in or control over the outcome of a situation. Announcers have zippo to do with the outcome of a game.

I would think a much greater potential source of bias is networks having announcers call game in which their alma mater is playing. That happens all the time though.

Last edited:
Let’s agree...it’s complicated.

My take is he just keeping the crazies from coming at him.

If he picks a team and then in an in-game situation he sides with his pick, the internet wolves will come out. For instance-tOSU fans on him for his posts after their loss.

Still, I agree he has zero influence on game outcome.

Question: Does anyone else do this refusal to pick in games they are calling?

Reactions: Judson1
Let’s agree...it’s complicated.

My take is he just keeping the crazies from coming at him.

If he picks a team and then in an in-game situation he sides with his pick, the internet wolves will come out. For instance-tOSU fans on him for his posts after their loss.

Still, I agree he has zero influence on game outcome.

Question: Does anyone else do this refusal to pick in games they are calling?

I agree it mostly has to do with perception. But, it's still kind of silly. It's just sports. Who would really if he picked a certain team to win and then openly rooted for them when he was calling the game?

Reactions: SCexpat38
I actually think him not choosing the game is the right call. Understand why he doesn't do it. His insights are usually pretty good. By no means perfect though.
He's very good. His explanation of particular intricate offensive and defensive schemes during replays sets him apart from all but two or three college football TV analysts today. Most of the others simply recite what just happened in a general sort of way. The ones - including Herbstreit - who take the telestrator and show exactly what transpired on the previous play that led to the result - those are the pros.

If he doesn't call the game, he doesn't get paid. Not making a pick on Gameday has no effect on his bottom line.

Reactions: FJRTiger
I agree it mostly has to do with perception. But, it's still kind of silly. It's just sports. Who would really if he picked a certain team to win and then openly rooted for them when he was calling the game?
Seriously ?
This board has a semi meltdown when he picks against USC when (obviously) he's not calling one of our games. If he picked against USC and then called the game, the melt down would be epic. And you know this is true.

Last edited:

Agree. It's silly, but so is a lot connected to sports. Like typing on messageboards.

Why does Herbstreit recuse himself from picking a game he is calling?

It's Show Business.
Lee Corso, is known for putting on the team's Mascot's headpiece for his game day pick.
Walter Cronkite ended every broadcast each night with "And that's the way it is... (date)"
Richard Sanders (Les Nessman) always wears a visible bandage when he performs.

Just a gimmick to set himself apart from other talking heads. (Got some of us talking about him, didn't it?)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT