ADVERTISEMENT

Why isn’t Georgia Tech a Power House in Football?

svjkn3

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2019
Don’t just say the ACC. If Georgia is so good and they get the top players like Alabama then there should be no reason Georgia Tech can’t be better than they are especially being in the South and in Atlanta. It doesn’t make sense to me. Someone should be able to go there and make them good. Thoughts?

Because they are a Ramblin' Wreck.

wreck-1200x750.jpg

A lot of it had to do with academics. I’m not as old as most here but about 15 years ago I use to go to Georgia Techs baseball camp. The lowest SAT score on the baseball team at the time was 1410. That was before the essay part was added. That was back when a 1100 would easily get you into Clemson or USC. (With good grades and all that of course)

Im not sure but I would agree that it's academics. I have no idea about what kind of facilities they have or athletic budget btw.

Don’t just say the ACC. If Georgia is so good and they get the top players like Alabama then there should be no reason Georgia Tech can’t be better than they are especially being in the South and in Atlanta. It doesn’t make sense to me. Someone should be able to go there and make them good. Thoughts?
Maybe not really answering your question but....

I think both USC and GT being down over the last 5-ish years has been a significant factor in the current runs of both Clempson and UGA. In state recruiting in places like Georgia and South Carolina is super important.

I was recently wondering the same thing, but more across the board. They're pretty good in baseball on a consistent level, but despite the high academic standards they should be able to be at least competitive in both Football and MBB. Duke and Stanford should be their model.

Their conference, their location, money, and their style of play. Don't give me that academic shit. I've met 8-10 players from Tech over the years. Their athletes seem to be on par with just about any of school. Just smart enough to get in with some assistance from Tudors and teachers.

They're also surrounded by schools that just care more about football and considerable advantages in GaTech where football is concerned. Bigger stadium, better facilities, more money invested in the program. UGA, taters, Auburn, Bama, Florida State, Tennessee...even us. The fact that they're behind in these things, plus all the above schools can offer a better gameday experience. A game at Tech, where 10,000 bored nerds happened to wander into the stadium, just doesn't cut it.

Ga Tech was nationally relevant as an SEC member and briefly as an independent until that status became unprofitable for anyone that wasn't Notre Dame. They own national championships from 1917, 1928, 1952, and 1990. That last one was split with Colorado back in the poll era.

I'd say that their decision to leave the SEC finally caught up to them because of what it signaled in terms of commitment. It was their home, just as the ACC was our home. You leave your home and you might eventually find yourself out in the cold. I guess they got comfortable being there.

Reactions: svjkn3
Totally off the cuff here, but it seems like schools set in the middle of larger cities don't seem to typically have strong athletics - especially football teams. Duke and Stanford mentioned above both have beautiful, dedicated campus settings away from the hoopla.

They had some good teams in the 90’s and won their conference in the 2000’s. I think the nail in the coffin for that program was Paul Johnson and the triple option. It worked for about 4-5 years, but after that fans lost interest. I can remember seeing a spring game with about 15 fans in attendance. It killed them in recruiting. They used to beat Georgia regularly…now that game isn’t even a big deal.

That rebuild was a 7 year job, minimum after Johnson left the program.

Reactions: The Gadfly
Totally off the cuff here, but it seems like schools set in the middle of larger cities don't seem to typically have strong athletics - especially football teams. Duke and Stanford mentioned above both have beautiful, dedicated campus settings away from the hoopla.
Respectfully disagree. USC (LA), Miami, Pitt and to somewhat lesser degrees (City size)f.Texas (Austin). If you wanted to you could even make a case (recently) UCF.

It can be done, it just takes the right combination of Admin/AD and coaching hires who are all willing to dedicate themselves to the same goals.

The administration doesn't care as much about football as other schools. And they stuck with the option for a long time. Most kids don't want to play option football.

Respectfully disagree. USC (LA), Miami, Pitt and to somewhat lesser degrees (City size)f.Texas (Austin). If you wanted to you could even make a case (recently) UCF.

It can be done, it just takes the right combination of Admin/AD and coaching hires who are all willing to dedicate themselves to the same goals.
Not to mention Florida St. (historically), Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan...

They had some good teams in the 90’s and won their conference in the 2000’s. I think the nail in the coffin for that program was Paul Johnson and the triple option. It worked for about 4-5 years, but after that fans lost interest. I can remember seeing a spring game with about 15 fans in attendance. It killed them in recruiting. They used to beat Georgia regularly…now that game isn’t even a big deal.

That rebuild was a 7 year job, minimum after Johnson left the program.
For me, it's this right here. ^^^

Academics may have driven the decision to hire Johnson. But after teams learned how to defend that boring triple option, the program eventually bit the dust.

Now that you mention it, I cant think of a whole lot of programs from big cities that could be considered really good. I'm sure there are some, just drawing a blank.

Now that you mention it, I cant think of a whole lot of programs from big cities that could be considered really good. I'm sure there are some, just drawing a blank.
Agree. Inner city talent usually wants a change of scenery and the others tend to gravitate to inimate college settings.

Of the examples given above, Wisconsin is the only one that sticks out as an exception. Schools like OSU, Michigan, USC, etc. have rich history in football and expansive city areas have form around them. Also, cities like Los Angeles have long been considered highly desired places to live.

Last edited:
Coaching, coaching, and coaching.
If you're a very good college coach, Jim Tressel for example, where are you going to coach to be successful: Ohio State or Savannah State?

Saban and Meyer are anomalies. Their name alone pulls in recruits whereever they go. This is about recognition as much as it is coaching. For most of the coaches, you better find a school with great resources or your coaching isn't going to amount to much on the national scene.

If you're a very good college coach, Jim Tressel for example, where are you going to coach to be successful: Ohio State or Savannah State?

Saban and Meyer are anomalies. Their name alone pulls in recruits whereever they go. This is about recognition as much as it is coaching. For most of the coaches, you better find a school with great resources or your coaching isn't going to amount to much on the national scene.
Then why do G5 coaches get promoted every year?

Agree. Inner city talent usually wants a change of scenery and the others tend to gravitate to inimate college settings.

Of the examples given above, Wisconsin is the only one that sticks out as an exception. Schools like OSU, Michigan, USC, etc. have rich history in football and expansive city areas have form around them. Also, cities like Los Angeles have long been considered highly desired places to live.
Not so much these days.

Reactions: PaleoCock
Then why do G5 coaches get promoted every year?
Because there are layers. For example, programs like UCF and App State both have great resources at that level. As a result, you often find their coaching talent in the discussion for advancement to the bigger schools.

Because there are layers. For example, programs like UCF and App State both have great resources at that level. As a result, you often find their coaching talent in the discussion for advancement to the bigger schools.
Alright. So what's your argument against what I said?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT