ADVERTISEMENT

Why Larry Fedora would be a good hire:

gamecock stock

Jul 14, 2000
2 Head Coach jobs:
@ S. Miss
*finished in the Top 1/3 of his conference in recruiting all 4 years there, including number 1 three times.
*beat 3 Power 5 conference teams
* by 4th year there, won 12 games, finishing 19th in nation
@UNC
* finished in the Top 1/3 of his conference in recruiting in both 2014 and 2015; 2016 class currently number 2
* has won at least 11 in his 4th year, ranked 12th in nation
* 3-1 against his rival NC State

The only downside is his age (53).

Prefer Tom Herman. If Herman is open to coming, go get him Ray.

Reactions: sosgamecock
2 Head Coach jobs:
@ S. Miss
*finished in the Top 1/3 of his conference in recruiting all 4 years there, including number 1 three times.
*beat 3 Power 5 conference teams
* by 4th year there, won 12 games, finishing 19th in nation
@UNC
* finished in the Top 1/3 of his conference in recruiting in both 2014 and 2015; 2016 class currently number 2
* has won at least 11 in his 4th year, ranked 12th in nation
* 3-1 against his rival NC State

The only downside is his age (53).

Prefer Tom Herman. If Herman is open to coming, go get him Ray.
Please, no. He was on the hot seat at UNC until he hired Chizik. I would rather have Mullen if we go that route. Otherwise, I agree on Herman, but that ship may have sailed.

Reactions: nonipples
Please, no. He was on the hot seat at UNC until he hired Chizik. I would rather have Mullen if we go that route. Otherwise, I agree on Herman, but that ship may have sailed.
That's kind of like saying "the guy was awful until he fixed what was wrong." Give the guy some credit for making the right coordinator hire at the right time - something our last HOF coach struggled with. It's worth noting that he didn't win 12 games at Southern Miss because he had some once-in-a-generation quarterback like Favre or Roethlisberger. He won 12 games and lit up scoreboards with nearly the same squad that Ellis Johnson went 0-12 with the following year. The guy knows how to generate tons of offense and now it looks like he's figured out how to play defense. If Fedora doesn't leave UNC this year for a bigger program, I predict he'll be hired away in a year or two.

That's kind of like saying "the guy was awful until he fixed what was wrong." Give the guy some credit for making the right coordinator hire at the right time - something our last HOF coach struggled with. It's worth noting that he didn't win 12 games at Southern Miss because he had some once-in-a-generation quarterback like Favre or Roethlisberger. He won 12 games and lit up scoreboards with nearly the same squad that Ellis Johnson went 0-12 with the following year. The guy knows how to generate tons of offense and now it looks like he's figured out how to play defense. If Fedora doesn't leave UNC this year for a bigger program, I predict he'll be hired away in a year or two.
Are you sure he is the one who fixed it? After three years of having a horrible defense, I heard he was told to hire Chizik (who the big money at UNC considered to be their HC in waiting if Fedora continued to stink the place up) or hit the highway. The guy has been a head coach for 8 years. In that time he has had two really good seasons, but the rest of the time was below .500. He plays in the weakest division of the weakest power 5 conference, is literally surrounded with as much talent as is available in Georgia, and before this year was around a .500 coach at UNC. Mark Richt is two years older but can run rings around Fedora, both in recruiting and actual record. Fedora is fools gold - - and we would be foolish to take him. I would rather roll the dice with Smart than hire Fedora, and I think we should look at bringing Richt in before Fedora also.

Oh good idea! Hire another coach from UNCarolina. Since the "Deke Adams experiment' worked out sooooo well for us. Brilliant!

I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if we hire anyone from UNC.

I'm pretty sure Brad Lawing came to us from UNC. But I get your point. "Deke" may have poisoned the waters for that route.

I believe a lot of people are going to be disappointed in SC's hire. Don't believe it will be Herman or Smart
It has been my feeling all along that Tanner is in way over his head. IMO, the AD position is the most important hire a school can make. We shall see, but the next head coach will be a direct reflection of Tanner. My fingers are crossed

What is Tanner suppose to do.... his HC (who he didn't hire) left this program in a mess with very little top SEC players, if any, actually
A coach in high demand would have to think long and hard whether to take this job.

Fedora or his like, is about the best SC will get

What is Tanner suppose to do.... his HC (who he didn't hire) left this program in a mess with very little top SEC players, if any, actually A coach in high demand would have to think long and hard whether to take this job.

I think you're selling the USC program a tad short. A new HC typically looks for much more than who the current players on the team are. They typically aren't going to be national championship calibre because teams with players like that aren't firing coaches and looking for new hires.

A new HC is going to look for what he can have at his disposal to sell new recruits to his program. USC has SEC affiliation, large bank account, huge fan base, top notch facilities and most importantly (to a coach), a reputation of doing right by its prior HC Spurrier. The only knock is frankly going to be a small state recruiting base and lots of competition for it nearest out of state talent. But equally frankly, that reality tempers expectations such that you aren't going to get fired for "only" winning 8 games.

And Fedora or is like is about the best most schools with a HC opening are going to get given the unusually high number of openings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT