ADVERTISEMENT

Why Muschamp Fails

He is overweight, fat if you will. This shows a persons character. He was and is slovenly and lazy.

Probably a combination of things. He just couldn't get all the pieces moving in the right direction at the same time, which means a failure as a manager/leader to get everyone on the same page with a winning plan.

Reactions: rogue cock
He thought he had all the answers and refused to listen to anyone else. And the more he was questioned, the more he backed in his corner and tried to do it his way, despite the fact that it wasn't working. Blatantly lied a few times to cover his bad decisions and mistakes. Arrogance and incompetence is a bad combination.

Reactions: Dizzy01
- Never found a way to fully motivate his players to play above their heads and find ways to win.
- He was never a Gamecock....somehow that affected his leadership and respect from players/coaches.
- Seems not enough playmakers making plays on offense. That should have been a big push by the HC.
- There were times when he needed to bench certain players...but he didn't. All those dropped passes.....friggin do something about it.
- He should have been running a dual threat offense from the beginning.
- I'm not sure if running the RPO wasn't the dummest thing he did. Did it ever win any games?

Muschamp had a "defense wins championships" mentality at a time when college football became on "offense first" game. And he failed to hire proven, experienced coordinators on both sides of the ball. And his introductory press conference here when he said "if you can't recruit, you can't coach here" was a hint as to the end result. Recruiting and coaching are equally important. But, that was not the message one got from Muschamp.
I like this. Muschamp worked hard. Much harder than Spurrier- he grinded. But he hired terrible coordinators-
-TRob: defenses looked awful, couldn’t tackle, were more worried about stripping than tackling. Can’t remember if he was D coordinator at Florida but if you fail at a top school and get a second chance don’t bring anyone with you to the next stop.

Roper- See point about T Rob. Everybody knew Roper was the guy that played for the guy- Cutliff was the mastermind.
B-Mac- you on you’re 4? 5th OC hire in as many years and you hire an unproven coach in play calling.
Bobo- Best offense for what we had going. If Muschamp would of made a hire like this in year one with a similar D coach, he would probably still be here. Not saying Bobo would win championships, but with a healthy regular schedule he would have gotten us to 6-8 wins year after year to build. But too late and defensive woes kept you back.

He is overweight, fat if you will. This shows a persons character. He was and is slovenly and lazy.
Or maybe he worked all the time, rarely slept, ate whatever was quick from a take out box between meetings.

Muschamp was not lazy. He wasn’t a good head coach but he wasn’t lazy

Reactions: rogue cock
Or maybe he worked all the time, rarely slept, ate whatever was quick from a take out box between meetings.

You think Shane works all the time? He is fit and does some running with the team.

Being a fat coach sends a terrible message to the team. He has millions at his disposal to take care of himself and does not because he is LAZY. This tells folks you do not have enough self respect in your personal life. That bleeds into work.

Trust me he is lazy.

Last edited:
He could not do the following:

learn
teach
coach
recruit.

the end.
He did all of those things he just didn't win enough. He sure could negotiate his contract. Highest paid retiring coach of all time. Thank you Ray Tanner and a clueless board.

He was the hardest working coach we ever had. He spend many nights in his office. He also purchased a house to be closer to the stadium and left his multi-million dollar home on Lake Murray which is quite a drive to WBS. Lets move on. Focus how good our no-experience coach is doing. How's recruiting going? Not even in the top 50. Sad and and indication of things to follow.

Ever work for a boss who thought he knew everything, and didn't listen to your opinion on how things might be done differently? Hard-headed, smart-ass, very little positive reinforcement, etc. That is Muschamp. IMHO.

Ever work for a boss who thought he knew everything, and didn't listen to your opinion on how things might be done differently? Hard-headed, smart-ass, very little positive reinforcement, etc. That is Muschamp. IMHO.
Yes, I did. He wanted to tell the cleaning lady how to use a broom. I left there 8 years ago after hardly getting a raise for 5 years. They wanted to throw money at me to stay though. LOL.

But to your point, I think that's why WM would not allow coaches to talk to media. Their explanations would have included "(at the end of the day) Because the boss said so."

Reactions: USC75Grad
You think Shane works all the time? He is fit and does some running with the team.

Being a fat coach sends a terrible message to the team. He has millions at his disposal to take care of himself and does not because he is LAZY. This tells folks you do not have enough self respect in your personal life. That bleeds into work.

Trust me he is lazy.
I've seen Beamer running stadium steps with the team. That's real motivation.

He was the hardest working coach we ever had. He spend many nights in his office. He also purchased a house to be closer to the stadium and left his multi-million dollar home on Lake Murray which is quite a drive to WBS. Lets move on. Focus how good our no-experience coach is doing. How's recruiting going? Not even in the top 50. Sad and and indication of things to follow.
We are coming off a 3 win season. Expecting a highly ranked class at this point is premature. Things will pick up when players see how this team plays.

We are coming off a 3 win season. Expecting a highly ranked class at this point is premature. Things will pick up when players see how this team plays.
We won 2 games. We are in the mix for some good recruits. No big recruits are committing because they’re waiting for visits to open, so rankings right now don’t matter. Let’s see how the rankings are in August and if we’re not doing good then we can panic ha

Reactions: tngamecock#
A couple things most (I think) would agree on -
1) His players loved him. Both at UF and here, they defended him to a T.
2) Fundamentals and team-first attitude just weren't there (see OL blocking each other or constant $hit talking after making a "big" tackle after a 20 yard gain and/or we're down by 3+ scores).

I think he tried to cultivate an 'us against the world' mentality with his teams, but internally he just didn't know how to teach, motivate or create a positive winning culture. And if you don't know how to do that you have no business being a head coach.

I don't buy the 'lazy' argument. I think he worked hard, he just didn't work smart.

Reactions: SOSUSC
I don’t care if he’s fat or runs the stairs. None of that matters. The question is does he recruit well, hire good coaches and have a good game plan that he adapts when it is not working. Muschamp is a players coach that never adapted well to game issues. Beamer will live or die on his assistant coach and coordinator hires.

Reactions: SOSUSC
Muschamp had a "defense wins championships" mentality at a time when college football became on "offense first" game. And he failed to hire proven, experienced coordinators on both sides of the ball. And his introductory press conference here when he said "if you can't recruit, you can't coach here" was a hint as to the end result. Recruiting and coaching are equally important. But, that was not the message one got from Muschamp.

I never understood that. If you are behind, with a lack of offense, you are almost guaranteed to lose.

Honestly. I'm thinking the 'L' word - he was simply LAZY. Without genius - as in SOS - you can't play the idle game and be successful at ANYTHING.
Interesting that you use that word. If all anyone ever read was this board all you would believe is that no one works harder than Muschamp. I believe people thought that because he said it. I never thought so. Lazy may be a good reason he failed, but I believe that his hardheaded stubbornness was equally so. He would never learn from his failures, instead he would intentionally try to repeat them to prove people wrong. He was gonna make that square fit in the circle hole or lose his job trying.

Reactions: vacock#
I’m not buying into his recruiting. His classes that he worked so hard to get, weren’t any better than Spurrier pulled in and nobody gave less of a crap about recruiting than Spurrier. That’s bad when you work hard at something only to equal the output of someone that was lazy and got the same results.

Reactions: Heyward1
I’m not buying into his recruiting. His classes that he worked so hard to get, weren’t any better than Spurrier pulled in and nobody gave less of a crap about recruiting than Spurrier. That’s bad when you work hard at something only to equal the output of someone that was lazy and got the same results.
The stats were up but breakdown the classes. Recruiting under Beamer lead to the run. When Jr took over, the majority of his Top 20 classes either never made it to campus or weren’t actually very good evaluations. You can put together a good class on paper- like Jr did, but they didn’t pan out- lots of issues. Jr was also recruiting on the back of a legend coach and the pentacle of the Carolina program. Recruiting quality depth was much improved under muschamp- he just didn’t know what to do with it.

To be fair, a lot of coaches can work hard and not recruit as well as Spurrier. His name was a big draw.

Honestly. I'm thinking the 'L' word - he was simply LAZY. Without genius - as in SOS - you can't play the idle game and be successful at ANYTHING.
I don't think he was lazy, he just wasn't a good manager of his time. He was too much of a micromanager. He could never really give an offensive coordinator free reign. He couldn't do this on defense either. He was definitely a worker, he just wasn't a great strategist or a good ceo. He wasn't really even a good defensive coordinator. His success came when his athletes were 5*.

Muschamp, when motivated, could win an occasional big game, like our last victory over Georgia. But he tended to assume that we were slightly better, or equal, on paper and that his gameplan was up to the task. Get an early lead, then sit on it. Very un-Spurrier gamestyle. No killer instinct. Play to not lose (which is a fundamental), but he seemed oblivious to obvious changes in the momentum of the game, and stuck to the gameplan until too late.

You could see the other team adjust to us in second quarter, and nullify our initial success. We would go into the half up by ten, feeling good. Third quarter, they get the ball, march down the field and get a TD. We get the ball and three plays later we throw a pick-six, and suddenly we are in the hole, only three offensive plays into the second half. It's happened time, and time again. Muschamp never learned that a two score lead is not enough when momentum had already changed against us.

Spurrier would try hard to score before the half, even if we had eighty yards to go and only 0:39 seconds left. Not Muschamp, don't risk the two score lead and ignore the noted loss of momemtum that the other team had stolen.
That sure seemed like a fluke, but I was glad to have it. The 2nd half was our Achilles Heel in practically every game.

Looking back when he brought so much of his Florida Fail staff here as key positions, T Rob as DC, Roper as OC, Hutzler as Special Teams, you have to question if he really learned from his "previous mistakes" at Florida.

I guess that was a early sign of the stubbornness which was a great fault of his.

Don’t know why this question popped into my head, but why do you think Muschamp failed TWICE?

The guy has been tutored by many of the best coaches of a generation. Saw how to build championship teams. Saw the NFL.

I wasn’t a fan of his hiring but certainly felt he’d have to be better after Florida. You know learning from your mistakes kinda thing.

Most people are not cut out to be generals. They are better off as worker bees or middle management. Applies to every profession.

He absolutely was lazy. He signed a big extension and then proceed to "decompress", not doing what needed to be done for the bowl game with Virginia. Meanwhile, Virginia was practicing on Christmas Day and beat us like a drum. A demoralizing loss that made us look like even a cellar dweller in the ACC.

I find these “he was a hard worker” posts to be bs. Based on what? No one on this board knows how hard that loser did or did not work.

’where does this lie come from?

I am just shocked that so many posters are now beating up on Muschamp. Many were quick to defend him even a year ago. I had coconuts thrown at me. When I said some years ago that Muschamp was a disaster I took a lot of flack.

Let me also say I do not think Beamer is an upgrade on Muschamp. Beamer will relate very well to the players. But, can he coach? I will be shocked if he can. He had a hard time even assembling a staff. So many staff defections. This is after he said that NFL coaches were lining up to coach with him. I sure hope that Beamer works out for us. Color me pleasantly surprised if that happens.

Athlon has us firmly entrenched at the bottom of the SEC. We are in a fight with Vandy to occupy the 14th spot. Vandy can easily displace us.

I'll throw my 2 cents in here.
Recruiting:
Muschamp - he could recruit for the school - but not for his name alone, but he thought he could based on building relationships with players which is fine until players start/continue to lose.
Spurrier could recruit by his name alone - as an innovative mind and a proven force. Just think of the recruits we were in the running for until he announced he may be leaving - remember Arden Key???
Coaching:
Muschamp - No level of innovation or being able to make any in-game adjustments, EVER. If he planned for the other team to do something, fine; if they evolved, he was screwed.
Spurrier - he didn't need to work hard b/c he was a genius AND he was flexible - he ALWAYS changed a losing game plan or a losing quarterback; he could change things on the fly.
Smarts:
Muschamp thought he was smart; Spurrier knew he was smart.
Personality:
Muschamp was SCARED; Spurrier was FEARLESS

He fails because he is still coaching a brand of football that hasn't existed in 15 years. He doesn't know how to adapt because he is stubborn and too sure of himself.

Reactions: Tmac069

Nothing could be farther from the truth. No one will outwork or out charm Beamer, Stepp or Gray. But my goodness, we are a tough sell right now.

Reactions: WingchunCock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT