ADVERTISEMENT

Why schedule App. St. ? Just asking for another L. Don`t give me that crap about not being able to find teams to play.

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
Will someone please explain why we keep scheduling more games with App. State? That is just ridiculous with our SEC schedule and Clemson. Didn`t we add a couple of games with them during the off-season? Not smart at all.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
I don't understand why we keep scheduling ECU, either (although they're in a down period right now). I'd love to see us take the same approach that N.C. State does and just schedule a bunch of tomato cans in the OOC. Between an SEC schedule and Clemson, we don't need anything else, and our program is certainly not good enough right now that we have to worry about strength of schedule/impressing the playoff committee. Put the marquee matchups on pause until we're actually competitive again, there's no shame in that.

We shouldn't have to worry about a team like App St. But I get what you are saying. Everything to lose, nothing to gain. If you are going to schedule a few cupcakes, make the real cupcakes that don't have a chance at beating you. App St is one of those teams that have shown, if they play their best game and you come out flat, they can beat bigger teams on any given Saturday.

Reactions: Tmac069
Isn't ECU a "tomato can"?

Right now? Yeah. But they've been an above average mid-major for most of the years we've played them, I'd say. Ruffin McNeill had them winning 8-10 games and beating UNC and N.C. State for a minute there. Historically, scheduling them under the assumption they're a "cupcake" hasn't been smart, because even when you win, they'll give you an absolute workout that you get no credit for surviving -- and you have a non-zero chance of taking an L. I'd like my cupcakes to be actual cupcakes and not a choking hazard.

My guess is because they are cheap. A lot of these smaller schools are asking for a lot of money to come get beat up on. Akron got $1 million a few years ago. If you can get these smaller schools to agree to $750,000 or so, you are getting a deal. Most want a million or more.

I would argue that ecu, even in its prime, is a team that shouldn't beat a mid level sec team. Granted, I know that's not the current status.

I do see the logic though, 4 weeks off (3 + vandy) 4 glorified practices, 2 wins away from a bowl every year.

I have always thought games against directional colleges are sort of boring. I’d rather play an App State of an ECU. If we are resulting to begging to play easier teams for a few wins- he season is lost cause anyway.

People worry too much about App State. They did beat us by 5 points in 2018. A game in which we amassed about 30 yards on the ground and had an injured true freshman. QB who had to throw the ball nearly 60 times.

It was App States best season ever (I think…no idea actually) and we were a team that had been gutted by Muschamp and disintegrating before our very eyes with McClendon’s atrocious offense.

With all that going on, they beat us by 5 points when Ryan missed an easy TD throw at the end of the game.

In any normal year, they are not a threat to us.

People worry too much about App State. They did beat us by 5 points in 2018. A game in which we amassed about 30 yards on the ground and had an injured true freshman. QB who had to throw the ball nearly 60 times.

It was App States best season ever (I think…no idea actually) and we were a team that had been gutted by Muschamp and disintegrating before our very eyes with McClendon’s atrocious offense.

With all that going on, they beat us by 5 points when Ryan missed an easy TD throw at the end of the game.

In any normal year, they are not a threat to us.
You must be new to Carolina athletics. Any school like ECU or Wofford is a threat to us. Seen it too many times even during the Spurrier and Black Magic years.

You must be new to Carolina athletics. Any school like ECU or Wofford is a threat to us. Seen it too many times even during the Spurrier and Black Magic years.

I understand we’ve often underwhelmed in such games and other teams make it their super bowl. Even though frequently ugly, it’s not typically a game we should worry about winning.

Will someone please explain why we keep scheduling more games with App. State? That is just ridiculous with our SEC schedule and Clemson. Didn`t we add a couple of games with them during the off-season? Not smart at all.
I suggest you make an appointment to sit down with Tanner and offer your scheduling expertise.

I think it's because we're not able to find teams to play.....
If we had maintained the success of 2011-2013, I think we would have been able to line up some more marquee matchups.

I'd like to see us play someone more interesting. Having EIU, ECU and Troy in one season is pretty boring. And it'd be nice to add some from out of our region...I don't care about playing UNC or ECU, etc. Maybe a Miami or FSU or a B1G team or something.

All that said, we don't NEED to. With 8 SEC games and Clemson, we don't need to beef the schedule up anymore. But as long as we add ooc games, I'd like to see something other than the usual. Heck, try adding NDSU or something.

Last edited:
I don't understand why we keep scheduling ECU, either (although they're in a down period right now). I'd love to see us take the same approach that N.C. State does and just schedule a bunch of tomato cans in the OOC. Between an SEC schedule and Clemson, we don't need anything else, and our program is certainly not good enough right now that we have to worry about strength of schedule/impressing the playoff committee. Put the marquee matchups on pause until we're actually competitive again, there's no shame in that.
Since football schedules are made out years in advance, might as well schedule the marquee matchups now.

We have "South" in our name. Does that make us a "directional" college?
Sure....but it's just one.
giphy.gif

Georgia Tech was on the schedule for around this time several years back. What happened to that??
A chance to get Atlanta exposure and probably competitive games.

If you play Appalachian State, you better make it a home game. If you travel to the mountain, it’ll be much more difficult. That atmosphere is something else. Most fans underestimate the top G5 schools. They are between than the lower P5 schools and better than most of the middle P5 schools and now and then will beat a top P5 school though they have about 1/5 the resources.

Am I to understand the premise of this thread correctly, that scheduling a program such as Appalachian State is now considered to be avoided because the matchup may prove to be difficult ?

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
A lot of SEC schools do this. MSU has played at La Tech and South Alabama. Ole Miss goes to Memphis often. Arkansas has a game at Tulsa coming up. A&M has played at Louisiana.

Bama, Auburn, UGA, and Florida don't really do this but Carolina isn't in the same position that those schools are. Those schools can schedule nationally and Florida has instate schools like USF with NFL stadiums that they can play a "road" game at

Am I reading this right…. The sun shine pumpers want even easier opponents for our 2 or 3 cupcake games a year? So they can push the narrative like….. Hey guys- at least we beat midlands tech and LA Tech! Season wasn’t a loss! It was just a football game between kids all in good fun!

Lord help us!

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter if AD Ray Tanner schedules the Dallas Cowboys or Appalachian State, our ‘Cocks will fight hard and put their best effort forward. They are gamecocks, it’s what they do. With Coach Beamer and his staff at the helm, there are no inevitable losses. Beamer Ball is a huge difference maker.

But they’re “just a Sun Belt team” with a Sun Belt coach who “aint got that SEC experience” so i was told they arent in our league easy win

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
But they’re “just a Sun Belt team” with a Sun Belt coach who “aint got that SEC experience” so i was told they arent in our league easy win
Agree.
This board is all over the place. One thread has some inferring that no G5 team should be ranked, they are all inferior, etc, etc. Then another why we are scheduling good G5 teams, since that equates to a loss.

We should have the mentality of anyone anytime anywhere. However clearly some of the fan base lacks that mentality.

Alabama went to Duke recently and somehow we are too good to play anywhere other than Willy B.

We should have parity with Clemson in the number of cupcakes, however the plot twist is that we are someone else's cupcake until things improve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT