ADVERTISEMENT

Will Muschamp and Offensive Football.

SchmidtyNole

Feb 19, 2007
Basically South Carolina has scored 57 points in 4 games this season (14.25 points per game). Yet in spite of that you are sitting there at 2-2 in record. It seems like a microcosm of Muschamp's tenure at Florida in terms of great defense and no offense.

Do you think it's a matter of South Carolina increasing its talent level offensively or is it just a product of Muschamp's history as a coach? There is no question the guy can coach defense but you aren't going to win many games scoring 14 points per game.

We are starting true freshmen at QB, WR and RB. This, combined with an offensive line that is playing terrible, is why we are scoring 14 points per game. It does look like the typical Muschamp team at Florida, but the inexperience on offense this year would have been an issue with any coach. I loved Spurrier, but he really left us in a terrible spot in terms of recruiting the past few years. The drop-off in talent in just three years is hard to believe.

And, yes, you are right, we aren't going to win many games scoring 14 points. Not a fun time for Gamecock fans right now.

Reactions: rogue cock
Basically South Carolina has scored 57 points in 4 games this season (14.25 points per game). Yet in spite of that you are sitting there at 2-2 in record. It seems like a microcosm of Muschamp's tenure at Florida in terms of great defense and no offense.

Do you think it's a matter of South Carolina increasing its talent level offensively or is it just a product of Muschamp's history as a coach? There is no question the guy can coach defense but you aren't going to win many games scoring 14 points per game.
Jimbo Fisher and defensive football?
Isn't fsu giving up an average of like 40 points a game?

Jimbo Fisher and defensive football?
Isn't fsu giving up an average of like 40 points a game?
We aren't a great defensive team. But look who we've played. We've played Ole Miss and Louisville who are two of the best Offensive teams in the country. Louisville is averaging over 60 points per game. Ole Miss put up 43 points on Bama for crying out loud. And then we've also played South Florida who was averaging 50 points per game coming into the game against us. We have one of the toughest schedules in the country this season.

We aren't a good defensive team either. We have played some bad teams. We will see how good our d is this sat.

We have youth but our issue is our more experienced players haven't stepped up in my opinion.

D has seemed to improve, but the sample size is small, and the competition so far is meh. The O however hung them out to dry for damn near the whole game last Sat, and pretty much the whole season to this point. Like jones said, we'll see in 24 hours. If the past few games are an indication, aTm will have the ball for about 44:00. I feel for the D, they need to put a foot in their "offensive" teammates rear

I think it's FOUR games, and to attempt to draw that parallel / conclusion is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY considering the crapshow he walked into here. He was left with no proven talent at QB, no proven talent at WR, and arguably, no proven talent at RB. Now tell me how you're going to score points in the SEC with that.

I admit, I have questioned some of Muschamp's offensive decisions. Stubbornly sticking with a struggling FR QB. David Williams playing behind a 180 RB, even though he's averaging almost 9 yards per carry over the past 2 games. We've completely abandoned the quick slant pass with the slot WR, but stick with running between the tackles even though it's stuffed more times than not. Nunez not on the field at all tells me he's either hurt or red shirting, so that doesn't support Muschamp's supposed win now mentality.

I admit, I have questioned some of Muschamp's offensive decisions. Stubbornly sticking with a struggling FR QB. David Williams playing behind a 180 RB, even though he's averaging almost 9 yards per carry over the past 2 games. We've completely abandoned the quick slant pass with the slot WR, but stick with running between the tackles even though it's stuffed more times than not. Nunez not on the field at all tells me he's either hurt or red shirting, so that doesn't support Muschamp's supposed win now mentality.
Nunez is learning a new position, at the college level...he's going to redshirt because he's never played the position before. Do I think he could help in situations like wild cat? Yeah he could but what's more beneficial? The guy learning the reciever position and we use him and have a great year or us using him now and wasting a year of his eligibility and us having a bad season? It just makes sense to wait.

Why do you care??? FSU has it's own problems and may not beat Clemson again this..

Will Muschamp and offensive football? How about the three tenors guesting on Hee-Haw? A wine-tasting event at an NHL game? Richard Simmons as MMA champion? Frank Martin as a keynote speaker at an 'anger management' seminar? Steve Spurrier keynoting a 'workaholics anonymous' seminar? Chad Holbrook keynoting a 'let your emotions really flow' seminar? Any more questions?

Will Muschamp and offensive football? How about the three tenors guesting on Hee-Haw? A wine-tasting event at an NHL game? Richard Simmons as MMA champion? Frank Martin as a keynote speaker at an 'anger management' seminar? Steve Spurrier keynoting a 'workaholics anonymous' seminar? Chad Holbrook keynoting a 'let your emotions really flow' seminar? Any more questions?
Yeah, just one- WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
Nunez should be a RB in my opinion. It would add a wrinkle to our offense. But, maybe he can't block well enough yet. That's the hard part of playing WR, also.
Yeah, Nunez to RB, Bmac to CB, let Bently take over at QB, switch our DL to the OL, and move our Kicker to WR (he is our best player after all)- all problems can be solved by switching players to new positions because it is SOOOO easy to just plug and play in a new role in the SEC.

Reactions: myrtlecock
Four games into a rebuilding job with freshmen at key positions. You can't make a comparison to his offensive struggles at UF right now. Now if the offense is stalling in a year or two, then you may be on to something.

Last edited:
We don't know enough about the coach to blame him for anything yet. 3-4 years in, if we still have no offense, he will have no excuse and we will be looking for a new guy soon after...
Let's all hope it doesn't get to that point. I will honestly tell you I was not a fan of this hire! I didn't like him as HC at UF, I was mad as Hell when we hired him and it caused me to doubt Tanner as an AD... But none of that doubt will help our team and I am desperately hoping I am wrong!

What we can say is there has been a marked improvement on defense already! This young offense really reminds me of Lou Holtz's first year! He basically cleaned house and started from scratch, we had a WINLESS SEASON as he implemented his (very conservative) offensive plan, and then... Something miraculous happened! We had the biggest single season turnaround in NCAA history (to that point, unsure if the record still stands)- so... Am I optimistic about today's outcome? Nope, but it is football, Anything can happen. Am I pumped about the way this offense is playing THIS YEAR? Nope... Youth and injuries have crippled us.
BUT
I see reasons for optimism in the future. Young guys who are getting tons of experience, and some seem to have talent! (BMAC, EDWARDS, DAVIS, TURNER...) we have young guys like Bentley who will probably get a RS and be in the mix next year to support the cause if the guys with experience don't pan out, and a pretty solid recruiting class developing too (though I am not sure if there are Real DIFFERENCE MAKERS in this group of recruits... I don't see a Lattimore, a Clowney, a Gilmore... Hugh you never know exactly what you have into, they play) IF these coaches CAN produce a tolerable offense and continue the Improvement on D, I see reason to believe there can be another dramatic year over year improvement, comparable to what we saw under Holtz's first two seasons..

JMHO.

Reactions: king ward

I can tell you that nobody would be putting up points with the DNA we currently have on offense. We are seriously depleted, playing hurt wide outs, TEs from small private schools, an offensive line recruited and coached by a cheerleader, and talented but undersized freshmen at QB and RB. We have struggled with execution due to the new system, freshmen and injuries.

The defense is better than last year with less talent.

As for winning with defense, it is our best chance to re-establish oursleves as a contender in the SEC east. If we came out trying to get fancy on offense and not burning some clock, we would not have had much of a chance in our games. This will be truer today.

He is recruiting well, which is the only way we will get better.

Question for you. How much longer due you give Jimbo? He is obviously the 3rd best coach in your division. I don't see a reason to suspect that y'all will pass Clemson or Louisville anytime soon.

Four games into a rebuilding job with freshmen at key positions. You can't make a comparison to his offensive struggles at UF right now. Now if the offense is stalling in a year or two, then you may be on to something.
there ya go. tough to be patient for some of our brethren. but patience is exactly what we need.

I can tell you that nobody would be putting up points with the DNA we currently have on offense. We are seriously depleted, playing hurt wide outs, TEs from small private schools, an offensive line recruited and coached by a cheerleader, and talented but undersized freshmen at QB and RB. We have struggled with execution due to the new system, freshmen and injuries.

The defense is better than last year with less talent.

As for winning with defense, it is our best chance to re-establish oursleves as a contender in the SEC east. If we came out trying to get fancy on offense and not burning some clock, we would not have had much of a chance in our games. This will be truer today.

He is recruiting well, which is the only way we will get better.

Question for you. How much longer due you give Jimbo? He is obviously the 3rd best coach in your division. I don't see a reason to suspect that y'all will pass Clemson or Louisville anytime soon.
Jimbo's record at FSU is 71-15. I am fine with that. And you base not passing Clemson or Louisville any time soon off of four games in which we have a 3-1 record including a win over a very good Ole Miss team that pounded Georgia and almost beat Bama? FSU has a 2-1 record against Louisville since they came into the ACC and Jimbo has a 4-2 record against Clemson. Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson aren't going to be at Clemson and Louisville forever and we have a pretty good young QB ourselves. This is not to take anything away from Clemson and Louisville. Louisville is better than us THIS YEAR and Clemson looks to be better but we'll see when we play them. But I don't base my long term outlook of our program off of the first four games of this season. And even so we are 3-1 against a pretty darn good schedule. A lot of teams will take that?

I wasn't trying to knock South Carolina with my OP. I just wanted to know what you thought of your offense moving forward given Will Muschamp's offensive history as a head coach. That doesn't mean he can't turn that side of the ball around. It just means the jury is out on that issue.

Jimbo's record at FSU is 71-15. I am fine with that. And you base not passing Clemson or Louisville any time soon off of four games in which we have a 3-1 record including a win over a very good Ole Miss team that pounded Georgia and almost beat Bama? FSU has a 2-1 record against Louisville since they came into the ACC and Jimbo has a 4-2 record against Clemson. Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson aren't going to be at Clemson and Louisville forever and we have a pretty good young QB ourselves. This is not to take anything away from Clemson and Louisville. Louisville is better than us THIS YEAR and Clemson looks to be better but we'll see when we play them. But I don't base my long term outlook of our program off of the first four games of this season. And even so we are 3-1 against a pretty darn good schedule. A lot of teams will take that?

I wasn't trying to knock South Carolina with my OP. I just wanted to know what you thought of your offense moving forward given Will Muschamp's offensive history as a head coach. That doesn't mean he can't turn that side of the ball around. It just means the jury is out on that issue.

Alright, SchmidtyNole, this is your week. Get it done. Go Noles!

I think Champ is never gonna want a “hair on fire” O.
Like Sabah, he will always live w tenacious D and a low risk O.
How does that bode for us in long run...IDK. Sabah has an OL and RB that allow him that luxury.

I think Champ is never gonna want a “hair on fire” O.
Like Sabah, he will always live w tenacious D and a low risk O.
How does that bode for us in long run...IDK. Sabah has an OL and RB that allow him that luxury.
I will say this: Muschamp is every bit as good of a defensive coach as Saban.

Reactions: DarkCock
Sorry. We didn’t get it done. Had our chances. True Freshman Quarterback turned it over three times when the game was there for the taking/

You didn't roll over. Definitely had your chances. There were receivers open all day in the Clemson secondary.

You didn't roll over. Definitely had your chances. There were receivers open all day in the Clemson secondary.
I agree. Our Quarterback is in over his head as most True Freshmen would be. It is a shame we don’t have anybody better than him to put in there after Deondre Francois got hurt against Alabama.

We are down our best offensive player, our best RB, our best LB (maybe?)......and we are 15 spots behind your recruiting every year.

that's all I am saying. you are a good guy....but maybe we have a decent coach. I guess we will see when dabo comes in with his playbook he holds back for USC.

Never seen the FSU UF game mean less in my lifetime. I am old btw.

Oh how I wish we could play Free Shoes. Looks like it won't happen this year tho.

Poor Jimbo done run out of QB's after he lost his. Top 10 recruiting for 15 years but no depth at QB. I bet somewhere PaPa Bowden is crying!

Not a knock on Roper but if there was someone better available...Phil Longo at Ole Miss? if they clean house with a new coach he may be looking for another gig. One QB went down and the other is passing for 300 yards a game. Great OC and QB coach.

We are starting true freshmen at QB, WR and RB. This, combined with an offensive line that is playing terrible, is why we are scoring 14 points per game. It does look like the typical Muschamp team at Florida, but the inexperience on offense this year would have been an issue with any coach. I loved Spurrier, but he really left us in a terrible spot in terms of recruiting the past few years. The drop-off in talent in just three years is hard to believe.

And, yes, you are right, we aren't going to win many games scoring 14 points. Not a fun time for Gamecock fans right now.
First I have heard that Bentley is a true freshman.

Need more talent and expierence on the OL people expecting miracles after we had 3 down yrs in recruiting isn't realistic. It's like a high school junior varsity beating a team of juniors and seniors.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT