ADVERTISEMENT

Will Muschamp out at South Carolina

This is the best thing that’s happened in 2020.. I know Muschamp didn’t come here with losing in mind, but I knew he couldn’t do it and I was not happy doing his journey, but I hoped he would succeed for our players and the University.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
People will be jubilant, and it had to be done. But whenever so much is invested in a coach, both in terms of money, time, and hope, events of this kind should be met with sadness and gravity. This is not an occasion for celebration but for regret. So now we move on. God bless Gamecock Nation.
Never appropriate to revel in someone else's failure.

Relieved that we are moving on.

Better he had succeeded than not. Better Year Two had not been an illusion.

True but living in Florida , surrounded by Gator fans , I kinda knew how this was gonna play out . Especially when he hired the same OC he went out with at UF . Good guy , hard worker , just a terrible head football coach . It is what it is

Reactions: The Gadfly
Met this with a stiff drink and a fat steak...no regret or sadness, that’s for the weak at heart.
Dissapointment is the shared human emotion in terminations for both sides of the equation. Many other emotions attend to either party, but everyone wants work relationships to work out, except the petty and the downright mean.

These people live their lives in public and are highly paid, from funds provided by the public. So if someone understands that such a poor performer should be fired, that's not a problem. But celebrating , imho, crosses the line.

Search should have already been underway - and I HOPE it was. Obviously if you’re Caslen, you can’t say that though.
I do wonder a little about the timing of this. Was it done now to get a head start on the coaching search, or was something already happening on that front that can’t be discussed? I figured if this happened, it would be at the end of the season. Anyone got any other ideas about why TPTB decided to pull the trigger now, as opposed to 3 weeks later?

I do wonder a little about the timing of this. Was it done now to get a head start on the coaching search, or was something already happening on that front that can’t be discussed? I figured if this happened, it would be at the end of the season. Anyone got any other ideas about why TPTB decided to pull the trigger now, as opposed to 3 weeks later?
I just hope to God it's not a prelude to the Mike Bobo era/error. 🙄

2020 was thought to be a free pass year, but the Gamecocks have been clearly going in the wrong direction. Not gonna kick Muschamp when he’s down, but this is clearly the right decision.

I've been hoping he could turn it around. You hate to throw 5 years of investment in someone down the drain. But I too have been concerned about player development and game day coaching. The ole miss QB comment about knowing the coverage every play was particularly troubling. Best of luck to CWM.

Reactions: 92Pony
Will Muschamp is going to end his career collecting $21 million in buyout money from SEC schools

I think the beginning of the end was naming Kurt Roper co-OC with McClendon...from the start. Then, the absolute dagger was when in Jan. 2018 he named McClendon as OC. That was a huge turning point. To that point in time, WM's tenure was acceptable....still had some hope.
That hire though....after a pretend search to find others...maybe go after a hot, up and coming OC that might give SC an advantage....he stayed with McClendon. Devastating to the offense and the program overall. Since 2018 if you look at the "talent" brought in on offense, especially receivers, is absurd. They have to do an absolute overall of that position room.

Guys we as all knew how this was gonna play out the day he was hired . We all said it “If he can’t win at Florida how the hell is he gonna win here??” Every football fan in America knew it but Ray Tanner is obviously not a football fan or watched a single Florida game . Do I fault Muschamp for taking the job or signing the extension ?? Hell no . It’s a business and unfortunately we suck at it . Muschamp was a great mentor , and tireless worker and gave all he had to this university, however my dog will chase a ball until he passes out but I wouldn’t trust him to change my brakes . My biggest concern is the guy who hired and extended a dude no program in America wanted is in charge of the next hire . That gives me nightmares

Like to see Coach Muschamp take at least an one month vacation and not even think about football. If he chooses not to be on the sidelines next fall for a college, university or professional team then I would really like to see him working for the SEC network.

Improvement in some aspects will be immediate. Beating good teams soon isn't a likely development.
It's not a total rebuild, we have some young talented players on both sides of the ball.. The other poster insinuating that .500 may be 2 to 3 yrs down the road is just nonsense

It's not a total rebuild, we have some young talented players on both sides of the ball.. The other poster insinuating that .500 may be 2 to 3 yrs down the road is just nonsense
"Some" is not enough, Brother. We possess enough talent to get to maybe fourth in the division rather soon. We would all enjoy that of it meant more wins than losses. But we would not keep on being satisfied with it. You know it and I know it.

Reactions: TheReelEss
"Some" is not enough, Brother. We possess enough talent to get to maybe fourth in the division rather soon. We would all enjoy that of it meant more wins than losses. But we would not keep on being satisfied with it. You know it and I know it.
Of course not. I'm just saying it's not a total rebuild if we can keep our young talent.. I'm convinced with the right coach that we are a 8 to 9 win team now(talentwise). Don't think for a second Spurrier couldn't win with these folks. He would find two receivers and blister people

Of course not. I'm just saying it's not a total rebuild if we can keep our young talent.. I'm convinced with the right coach that we are a 8 to 9 win team now(talentwise). Don't think for a second Spurrier couldn't win with these folks. He would find two receivers and blister people
Yeah....I think we have a big dearth of offensive skill talent...but I still agree with this.
Given that we were going to be (under Bobo) slot I, Pro I or some 21 personnel....just need 2 starters and third legit WR. You don't need 7-8 like you're running some of these other offensive systems.

My problem is....I don't think we have one other dude besides Shi Smith on the edge (that I've seen). The one TE made a couple catches with big RAC...but got hurt. I'm talking only about the kids I've seen in games. Haven't seen any practices or anything else.

I think the WRs (Shi not included) that have played have shown this year that they can't play in 21 personnel. It's a different thing than being in spread. Kids these days may have not even seen 21 personnel until this year...esp. if you were recruited as a receiver with some decent numbers to go along with the size combo that got you aD1 look. Gonna see a plenty of off coverage, esp. if you're the prototypical 6'2 210 4.6 on the books/4.75 guy in reality we have so many of....then defenses play unders and jump the quick throw if we throw it out to anyone not named Shi.

Reactions: Expro19
As much I respect you, I believe you have overestimated our physical ability significantly if not grossly.

Reactions: Expro19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT