ADVERTISEMENT

Will Samuel or Hurst stay another year?

pecock1

Feb 1, 2009
lake city sc
I think probably not with today's culture but if they stay and help us become much better next year the rewards for each one should be greater. I would advise both to stay get your degree finish what you started and your diligence will be rewarded. Look as a example P J Dozier he got very bad info from someone God bless him and I hope it all works out for him. Hope they stay Go Cocks

Reactions: Brace1 and SCDuke15
Every time it comes up, people (talking heads) refer to Hurst's age. I imagine because of that, and that he's talked about as being one of the best TE prospects in the country, he'll be gone. With his size, speed, and greatly improved blocking this year, I think his stock will be pretty high. I'd love to see him back, but it probably makes sense for him to go.
As far as Deebo, that's a tough call. I don't know if he needs to show that he can stay healthy for a full season, or if teams would be willing to go ahead and take a chance on him. If he goes, I don't see him going any higher than the 3rd round at best. All of that having been said, I think he leaves.

So, no, I don't think either will stay for next year.

Reactions: funktavious
Hurst, I’m not sure.
Deebo, if he leaves he will be drafted, but it will be 4th to 7th. He comes back and stays healthy he could be a 1st round pick. I think he comes back.
Hurst is predicted as a first-rounder, it would be silly for him not to go. Deebo, not sure, thinking he will stay one more.

Reactions: funktavious
How does insuring players work? Does anyone know the details? Insure Deebo for 5 mil and he stays.

Just glad we’re talking about our guys and draft again.
These guys need to make the best decision for them and only them. I have no right to expect someone to stay when it is their dream to play professionally. They have only one time to be young, one body, and one life.

How does insuring players work? Does anyone know the details? Insure Deebo for 5 mil and he stays.
Not sure anyone would insure Deebo's legs for 5 million at this point. He'd have to demonstrate he is virtually guaranteed to get that kind of money if he stays healthy - a pretty tough task coming off a season ending injury.

As I understand it, players can take out a policy that will pay out if they:
1) Get injured and can't play again
2) Drop significantly in the draft due to an injury that scared NFL teams away

Both the NCAA and the University itself can help arrange these policies for players. Clemson did this for Watson.

What I'm not sure about is how they arrive at the policy figure. I imagine they have "experts" who adjust what a healthy star player NFL contract is worth, if healthy. And I'm sure they only calculate the NFL average career time, which is like 3 seasons.

Better than nothing I guess.

Not sure anyone would insure Deebo's legs for 5 million at this point. He'd have to demonstrate he is virtually guaranteed to get that kind of money if he stays healthy - a pretty tough task coming off a season ending injury.

What sucks for Deebo is he might not get coverage now that he's already suffered a significant injury. I imagine it's like trying to insure your car right after you wrecked it. They'll still insure you, but the premiums will be sky high and the payout will be cents on the dollar.

Hurst, I’m not sure.
Deebo, if he leaves he will be drafted, but it will be 4th to 7th. He comes back and stays healthy he could be a 1st round pick. I think he comes back.

This ^^^^, and I hope he heeds this advice. If he wants to sniff a 1st or even 2nd round pick, he will need to firmly establish his playing credentials. That won't happen just based on what he did in '16 and, partially, in '17.

Hurst, I’m not sure.
I've been amazed at the people at Carolina who leave in order to get paid now. If Deebo sees a payday, he'll be gone.

They are both gone . When was the last time we actually had a player with any snowballs chance in hell come back for a senior year . It's very disappointing the number of guys who left early and never got drafted or washed out in the league . Quarles, Hampton, Ace , Williamson, Davis , Ellington ( he's actually playing well now ), Cooper ... etc etc etc . Given Deebo's injury history , no team I going to even look at him until 4th or 5th round . Hurst has jaw dropping potential but thru no real fault of his own , the production really has not been there this year . They should both come back but they won't . It's all about the $$$$$$$.

They are both gone . When was the last time we actually had a player with any snowballs chance in hell come back for a senior year . It's very disappointing the number of guys who left early and never got drafted or washed out in the league . Quarles, Hampton, Ace , Williamson, Davis , Ellington ( he's actually playing well now ), Cooper ... etc etc etc . Given Deebo's injury history , no team I going to even look at him until 4th or 5th round . Hurst has jaw dropping potential but thru no real fault of his own , the production really has not been there this year . They should both come back but they won't . It's all about the $$$$$$$.

Cheap money. Gas pumpin' money (leaving early) vs Beverly Hills mansion w/large swimming pool money (staying/graduating). Someone PLEASE talk some sense into these guys!

Last edited:
Leaving early for the NFL is a sucker move. I know all the arguments to do so...but when you look at what actually happens more often than not..the players would be much better off getting that diploma.

Depends on whether or not Hurst's social security kicks in by then or not.
Don't KNOW ABOUT HIS SOCIAL SECURITY KICKING N, BUT I DO KNOW AS U DO ABOUT THE ASS MOCKING HE DOES AS A GAMECOCK TIGHT END. WHAT SAY U NUM NUTS?

Depends on whether or not Hurst's social security kicks in by then or not.

DON'T .KNOW ABOUT HIS SOCIAL SECURITY KICKING N, BUT I DO KNOW AS U DO ABOUT THE ASS KICKING HE DOES AS A GAMECOCK TIGHT END. WHAT SAY U NUM NUTS?

As I understand it, players can take out a policy that will pay out if they:
1) Get injured and can't play again
2) Drop significantly in the draft due to an injury that scared NFL teams away

Both the NCAA and the University itself can help arrange these policies for players. Clemson did this for Watson.

What I'm not sure about is how they arrive at the policy figure. I imagine they have "experts" who adjust what a healthy star player NFL contract is worth, if healthy. And I'm sure they only calculate the NFL average career time, which is like 3 seasons.
Better than nothing I guess.

A player can have an evaluation done to determine where he is likely to be drafted and type of money he would get. He can get an insurance policy that pays out those dollars in the event of a career ending injury. He can borrow the money to pay the premiums if he doesn't have the money to pay for it. I believe it doesn't insure against a drop in draft position but inability to play. Lattimore had a policy that paid him like $2 million if he didn't play. He was drafted and practiced but never played in the game. He had a fight with the insurance company over the money and I believe he settled for like $400k. Plus he got paid around $250k a year while he was on the unable to perform list.

Reactions: LAST MANGO
If a player can make it on a roster for 3 or 4 seasons that's at minimum $500k over the course of that time. No matter how you slice it, that's life changing money even if you wash out of the league. Me personally, if I have a chance to be drafted in the first 4 rounds I am coming out.

Deebo doesn't need to come back to prove anything. He has great hands, speed and at 6'0 215 good size. Elite kick returner and has proved to be a good runner out of the backfield. He also is a 4th year player. The NFL doesn't need to see anything. He has more to lose than to gain by coming back. If he comes back it will be because he wants to (like BAW) not because he needs to.

HH also has nothing to gain from returning.

I ask Hurst at fan appreciation day if he was going to stay for his senior year. He said he was going to play this year and see what happens so I guess he hasn't made his mind up yet.

I ask Hurst at fan appreciation day if he was going to stay for his senior year. He said he was going to play this year and see what happens so I guess he hasn't made his mind up yet.

Older player with a little money in the bank from baseball, plenty of women at USC, and knows that going pro does not guarantee lasting success and requires a lot of physical work may stay in college. Or not.

Reactions: pettyw
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT