ADVERTISEMENT

Win or lose Bama should still be

Auburn and Mississippi State? Was either of those schools over .500 in your conference? You have some good teams in your conference, but Alabama doesn't play lots of them in the way the SEC is scheduled. As long as Alabama schedules The Citadel, Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette, look for criticism. If they upped that a little, maybe to mid-levels like Army, UCLA, Michigan State, TCU or whatever, you wouldn't see the critics sniping. Those Citadel types are just too inappropriate for Alabama to be playing.

Clemson's easy schedule is a problem, and if they had one-loss, they have no chance of being in the playoffs because of that. They are only in because undefeated.
If I had to guess, I'd bet that Alabama has trouble scheduling bigger teams....even in those sponsored games at the beginning of the year. They typically destroy teams in those games and pretty much take them out of contention for the CFP.

And I say that because they haven't been shy about scheduling those type games before this year.

If I had to guess, I'd bet that Alabama has trouble scheduling bigger teams....even in those sponsored games at the beginning of the year. They typically destroy teams in those games and pretty much take them out of contention for the CFP.

And I say that because they haven't been shy about scheduling those type games before this year.

I can't imagine Army, Michigan State, UCLA, etc are really worried about eligibility for the CFP. It seems to me Alabama has been shy. Last year they played Mercer, the year before Kent State, Western Kentucky and Chattanooga (which isn't even a major conference team). i get why Saban does it. Because he can and still has guys promoting his team for the CFP. If he had lost to Georgia, I don't doubt he would have still gotten in. He ought to at least ditch the Mercer's & Chattanoogas for what are still easy teams. We wouldn't be making fun of him playing Tulane, Tulsa, Boston College, Illinois or more mid-level teams.

Auburn, Miss St., Georgia. Why wouldn't Alabama schedule creampuff OOC opponents? They're schedule, even with cream puff OOC opponents, is still more difficult than Clemson's. Does Clemson even have a signature win this season? A&M in its first game with a new HC?

The difference is that if Clemson isn't undefeated, if it has even a single loss, it isn't even in the discussion for the College Football Playoffs. Its weak schedule would be held against it. Why isn't Alabama's? Obviously Alabama is undefeated now and will go, but if they had a loss, the weak schedule should be held against them just like it would be for Clemson.

As for Mississippi State and Auburn, neither are even over .500 in your conference. The conference schedule shields Alabama from playing many of the better SEC teams. Georgia was not on their schedule. You actually have to put in the conference championship game to pump up how it looks, because it looks pitiful otherwise.

The difference is that if Clemson isn't undefeated, if it has even a single loss, it isn't even in the discussion for the College Football Playoffs. Its weak schedule would be held against it. Why isn't Alabama's? Obviously Alabama is undefeated now and will go, but if they had a loss, the weak schedule should be held against them just like it would be for Clemson.

As for Mississippi State and Auburn, neither are even over .500 in your conference. The conference schedule shields Alabama from playing many of the better SEC teams. Georgia was not on their schedule. You actually have to put in the conference championship game to pump up how it looks, because it looks pitiful otherwise.
Except per the NCAA, Bama's SOS is actually 5th in the country.

Gosh, I hate defending Bama....but there seems to be little doubt among the varied ranking services that Bama played a pretty difficult schedule.

Tater fans always want a free pass. That’s not a surprise as most of them are on welfare anyway. I mean the 81 so called championship was win from cheating. The last one they won with a illegal pick play. They will be caught cheating again after Dabo heads to his next gig.
These type comments just don't make sense and drive me nuts! Please can you show me the statistical data showing where Clemson fans petitioned for a free pass? I'm thinking a 2 loss UGA team is the one lobbying for a free pass because they played Bama close! And please show me the link where most Clemson fans are on welfare!! Nothing in this post adds to the actual topic of Bama deserving to be in no matter win or lose which isn't a problem because they won. That said if they got slammed by UGA they would not deserve to be in.

It appears you just like to type things for response effect and don't really contribute to the discussion. It's not just you, they exist in multiple on every forum and they all fall in the same category. Not really trying to pick on you specifically but I just hate posts that are obnoxious but presented as factual! I would venture to guess you are either under 18 or not a Carolina grad, but could be wrong!

I enjoy threads where people actually add or provoke thought and intelligence to The discussion!

Ridiculous thinking their path is easier than UPC's, though.
Top tier teams don’t get beat by inferior competition, they beat themselves. Even on their best day lesser teams don’t beat teams like Alabama, Clemson, or OSU without the better team having a bad game. None of these teams are worried about any of the teams on their regular season schedule out talenting them... Alabama is the only team in the country that could lose their conference and still be a virtual lock for the playoffs (proven in the past). Aside from the Irish they are the only team in the country who can skip out on a conference championship game and still get in and only Alabama can do it with a loss on their record (proven). Since we’ve shown that they can drop any one game any year and still get a ticket to the playoffs and that they might only play 1 (maybe 2 teams) that have even a whiff of competitive talent in any season (proven) it ought to be easy to assume that it would take 2 meltdowns of tremendous proportions to keep them out (we haven’t seen that yet)... No other team has such an advantage or an easier path... Georgia might turn out to be the closest.

Last edited:
LOL. You have to modify that to be conference schedule. What about the middle school teams of their non-conference schedule? Basically they played LSU and maybe A&M. That's it. They had a mediocre difficulty schedule overall. They may be the best team, as they have now come back on Georgia. But Saban isn't taking any chances, scheduling as many creampuffs as possible.
To be fair, when they scheduled Louisville, Louisville was winning a lot of football games. Nobody knew how bad they would be this season. That was supposed to be a tough out of conference opponent. It wasn't like they were actually trying to schedule a creampuff. It just so happens that the ACC was full of them this year.

I just don't agree that Alabama played a weak schedule. They played 4 teams that ended the season ranked in the top 25.
#10 LSU
#18 Miss St
#19 Texas A&M
#24 Missouri

I just don't agree that Alabama played a weak schedule. They played 4 teams that ended the season ranked in the top 25.
#10 LSU
#18 Miss St
#19 Texas A&M
#24 Missouri
Auburn was also a fringe top-25 team. Throw in #5 UGA for the SEC-CG and you've got a pretty hefty schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT