ADVERTISEMENT

With all the talk about our next coach, should we consider...

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
... mining the HS ranks? It's worked out pretty good for Auburn with Malzahn, and Old Miss with Hugh Frieze. I know Malzahn had a few years experience as an assistant (OC at AU), then HC 1 year at AR ST before taking over as HC at AU. Frieze became HC at Ole Miss straight from the HS ranks, and has made them a contender in just a few years.

Bobby Bently is a SC HS coaching legend. He won 4 consecutive state championships at Byrnes HS (2002-2006). His successor, Chris Miller, was one of Bentley's assistants, and he won 4 state championships at Byrnes over the next 5 seasons (2007-20011). Byrnes won 8 state titles in 9 years with these 2 coaches, but Bentley was the one who built their program. He was Nike's National HS Coach Of The Year in 2005. He played for Presbyterian College from 1985-1989, and was their HC the first 2 years they moved up to the FCS from the NAIA (2007-2008). He is now an offensive analyst for Auburn working specifically with their QB's. Speculation is he is being groomed for bigger things. He has deep SC roots. Maybe it's time to take a flyer on a coach like him instead of going out and hiring another college coaching legend entering the twilight of his career. Having said that, I'd take somebody like Chip Kelly in a heartbeat, but if Spurrier plans on hanging around another 2-3 years, the timing might work out well to take a chance on Bentley. He will likely get a shot as an OC somewhere in that time. I think he will at the least become a QB coach. He'll have gained some valuable experience, and might just be ready to take the next step by then.

It's just a thought. What do you guys think?

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20140224/ARTICLES/140229893?p=1&tc=pg&tc=ar

Last edited:
... mining the HS ranks? It's worked out pretty good for Auburn with Malzahn, and Old Miss with Hugh Frieze. I know Malzahn had a few years experience as an assistant (OC at AU), then HC 1 year at AR ST before taking over as HC at AU. Frieze became HC at Ole Miss straight from the HS ranks, and has made them a contender in just a few years.

Bobby Bently is a SC HS coaching legend. He won 4 consecutive state championships at Byrnes HS (2002-2006). His successor, Chris Miller, was one of Bentley's assistants, and he won 4 state championships at Byrnes over the next 5 seasons (2007-20011). Byrnes won 8 state titles in 9 years with these 2 coaches, but Bentley was the one who built their program. He was Nike's National HS Coach Of The Year in 2005. He played for Presbyterian College from 1985-1989, and was their HC the first 2 years they moved up to the FCS from the NAIA (2007-2008). He is now an offensive analyst for Auburn working specifically with their QB's. Speculation is he is being groomed for bigger things. He has deep SC roots. Maybe it's time to take a flyer on a coach like him instead of going out and hiring another college coaching legend entering the twilight of his career. Having said that, I'd take somebody like Chip Kelly in a heartbeat, but if Spurrier plans on hanging around another 2-3 years, the timing might work out well to take a chance on Bentley. He will likely get a shot as an OC somewhere in that time. I think he will at the least become a QB coach. He'll have gained some valuable experience, and might just be ready to take the next step by then.

No

So, you wouldn't have been in favor of hiring Malzahn or Frieze either?

My bad on Freeze's coaching career. I probably shouldn't post at 3 AM. He had 1 year as HC at an NAIA school and 2 at AR ST (FCS) very similar to Malzahn's career path. They've done pretty well with very little HC experience. Freeze's success is more impressive though. Ole Miss hasn't had this kind of success in nearly 50 years.

Last edited:
Stop worrying about who the next coach is going to be. You'll know eventually.

Nobody's worried. Oh wait. I just spent 2 hours reading about how our current coach is washed up, our team is a dumpster fire, and our HOF baseball coach turned AD won't do anything about it. No need to worry. None at all , and I don't. I've got too many real problems in life to deal with than to have a little fun just speculating about what direction SC football might take over the next few years. Apparently, I'm not the only one who does this, but anyway, relax everybody Readrooster says not to worry about who the next coach will be, we'll know soon. So don't worry about Carolina football. We'll know soon enough how everything's going to unfold with this season as well.

Now, what do ya'll want to talk about?

OP - I think this is a really good idea but I think we should consider the best High School coaches throughout the whole country not just in SC and younger than 50.

Those High School coaches really know how to coach offense really well which I think is so important to any football team and the reason why they have so much success.

Also they are really good at recruiting too which I think is so important because they have coached and been around High School players a lot more and they know how recruiting works. And since they are young they are also up to date with everything.

Bobby Bently is a SC HS coaching legend. He won 4 consecutive state championships at Byrnes HS (2002-2006). His successor, Chris Miller, was one of Bentley's assistants, and he won 4 state championships at Byrnes over the next 5 seasons (2007-20011). He is now an offensive analyst for Auburn working specifically with their QB's. Speculation is he is being groomed for bigger things.

Auburns qb problems are just as bad as ours. B.Bently should go build a solid winner at a Sun Belt conference team first before he gets a head coaching job in the SEC.

Donald Trump....he is great....he would be great...he would have a great plan and get great players. We would be a great program with a great coach.....that would be great ! Insert a damn truckload of sarcasm here !!!!

A lot of good young coaches out there: Matt Campbell at Toledo, Rod Carey at NIU, Tom Herman at Houston, Dave Doeren at NC State, Mark Hudspeth at ULL, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT