ADVERTISEMENT

WLOS TV in Asheville has gotten as bad as any news station in SC relative

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
to covering the taters. There is something on WLOS everyday about tater football. They rarely cover WCU football, occasionally WLOS will have a blur about the Catamounts, but not often. Sometimes they will have something about UNC football but they never even mention NCSU football. WLOS has become a full time media outlet for quempsum. Tonight, they talked about the TE position for Clemson they have even started covering non-important aspects of the quempsum football team.

I'll tell everyone this, quempsum media department has done an outstanding job of getting coverage for the taters. We need to emulate their model.

Last edited:
I see what you’re saying, but it’s not like they are powers. UNC and Taterville are both top 10. It’s understandable.
Well, it's never been that way before. WLOS has just started with this tater stuff this year. UNC is not getting nearly as much coverage as tater tech.

The media market is Greenville Spartanburg Asheville. You can watch WLIS anywhere in the upstate. They are providing coverage for their entire market. Yes, they do provide some Gamecock coverage.

Odd that they cover a highly successful team that their viewers follow. Must be a conspiracy.

just win!

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
to covering the taters. There is something on WLOS everyday about tater football. They rarely cover WCU football, occasionally WLOS will have a blur about the Catamounts, but not often. Sometimes they will have something about UNC football but they never even mention NCSU football. WLOS has become a full time media outlet for quempsum. Tonight, they talked about the TE position for Clemson they have even started covering non-important aspects of the quempsum football team.

I'll tell everyone this, quempsum media department has done an outstanding job of getting coverage for the taters. We need to emulate their model.
Just another reason for me to despise Asheville. They are the weirdest bunch of liberals I've ever seen. No surprise that their tv station has joined the Clemtech cult.

After just visiting Asheville for the first time in years, what's playing on the sports news channel is the least of your worries!!! Haha. When did they just switch and become a mini San Francisco? Did all the weird people from the southeast move there over the years?
I think so. Like I said above. They're the weirdest I've ever seen. Especially the people in charge of running the city. It's a shame that such a beautiful city has become what it is.

People still watch WLOS? It was a fading and terrible news station when I grew up in the Upstate 45-50 years ago. But, they are close to the Greenville market so I would expect any CFB coverage would include Clemson. While WCU is closer, Clemson is a national story and basically in their backyard too. Although WYFF and WSPA ate closer to Clemson. Nobody watches WLOS for Clemson coverage. Then again, most don’t watch local networks for sports coverage outside local, high school sports.

Saw a tee shirt at Asheville that said “ Asheville, where weird is normal” It has become a Haven for the bohemian lifestyle. Old hippies, flower children, the LGBTQ crowd, artists and any other bastion of the left have found a home and many like minded people there . Beautiful area but very weird WLOS is just playing to their audience The Socon schools don’t generate much interest unless you went there much larger Tater audience

Saw a tee shirt at Asheville that said “ Asheville, where weird is normal” It has become a Haven for the bohemian lifestyle. Old hippies, flower children, the LGBTQ crowd, artists and any other bastion of the left have found a home and many like minded people there . Beautiful area but very weird WLOS is just playing to their audience The Socon schools don’t generate much interest unless you went there much larger Tater audience
When Asheville was boarding up downtown in the late 70's early 80's, who the hell do you think brought it back to what it is today? The LGBTQ community and the artists...

It's the gays who turn ghettos into nice places...

Who do you think brought back E Tryon St in Charlotte, the gays!!!!

What i find interesting is, that after the gays turn an area around, folks start coming back talking about how nice a place is, and then talk about the very folks who turned the place around!!!!!

Cheer up, Freddie. When we start winning, we will get their attention. Call me crazy, BUT, I just have a good feeling that Shane Beamer will make Carolina into a great national power. I'm figuring I've got a good 20 years left. I believe Beamer will make up, and then some, for the bad years we have had in the past 50. And I was not among those wanting to hire him.

• Love
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
When Asheville was boarding up downtown in the late 70's early 80's, who the hell do you think brought it back to what it is today? The LGBTQ community and the artists...

What i find interesting is, that after the gays turn an area around, folks start coming back talking about how nice a place is, and then talk about the very folks who turned the place around!!!!!
Are you for real?

I also think Asheville has one of the highest per capita populations of homeless people. You can't swing a dead cat on Tunnel Road without hitting two or three. It's like they attract them. They buy or rent whole motels to let them live in rent free. I think a better plan would be to help them find employment and improve their situation.

Just another reason for me to despise Asheville. They are the weirdest bunch of liberals I've ever seen. No surprise that their tv station has joined the Clemtech cult.

My neighbor had a fender bender in Asheville. It took4 hour for the police to respond. He said he is never going back. Not sure I want to go there either.

Reactions: TAV31
I was told close to 60% of the police force resigned from there at the beginning of the Floyd situation. It left a void.

I also think Asheville has one of the highest per capita populations of homeless people. You can't swing a dead cat on Tunnel Road without hitting two or three. It's like they attract them. They buy or rent whole motels to let them live in rent free. I think a better plan would be to help them find employment and improve their situation.
That's just during the summer. Believe me when I say they're only on vacation from Florida. They stay down here for the weather most of the time then it gets too hot for the street corner and the Walmart parking lot.

Out of all that i posted, that hit your nerve? I didn’t say it was a bad thing, i just stated that’s what happened . I didn’t bash anybody. Your post says much more about you than mine did about me. Let’s see. Is there a big artist population there? Yes is there a large LGBTQ population there? Yes is there a big bohemian population there? Yes everyone but you recognized Asheville is a liberal city one poster said mini San Francisco . Is there a reason you are so butt hurt over this? Go back and read my post All facts no bash

to covering the taters. There is something on WLOS everyday about tater football. They rarely cover WCU football, occasionally WLOS will have a blur about the Catamounts, but not often. Sometimes they will have something about UNC football but they never even mention NCSU football. WLOS has become a full time media outlet for quempsum. Tonight, they talked about the TE position for Clemson they have even started covering non-important aspects of the quempsum
Isn't WLOS the largest ABC affiliate in the Upstate?

After just visiting Asheville for the first time in years, what's playing on the sports news channel is the least of your worries!!! Haha. When did they just switch and become a mini San Francisco? Did all the weird people from the southeast move there over the years?
Seriously? Asheville, Black Mountain, and other areas in WNC have been "artsy" for well over 30-35 years now. In many ways they are like Charleston and the lowcountry....an area that attracts people who are involved in a variety of visual arts. At least since I was in HS in the late 1970's, App State and UNC-A have been well known as "crunchy" schools.

They are great places to go.....get out and experience some diversity.

It's true. The arts community rebuilt downtown Asheville and made it the tourist and retirement haven it has become.
Asheville does make lists of best places to retire to. Don't know enough about it to say why. I know that North Carolina's highways and areas around them look and feel considerably better than South Carolina's. I don't know if they get more tax revenue or simply do a better job of making use of their money into arts, culture, public infrastructure, etc. But, they definitely seem to be doing something right in the Tar Heel state.

Asheville does make lists of best places to retire to. Don't know enough about it to say why. I know that North Carolina's highways and areas around them look and feel considerably better than South Carolina's. I don't know if they get more tax revenue or simply do a better job of making use of their money into arts, culture, public infrastructure, etc. But, they definitely seem to be doing something right in the Tar Heel state.
The big issue they have is the same one HHI/Bluffton has.....affordable housing. Housing prices are through the roof (so to speak). We have quite a few dual residents who live both on HHI and in the Asheville area.

Seriously? Asheville, Black Mountain, and other areas in WNC have been "artsy" for well over 30-35 years now. In many ways they are like Charleston and the lowcountry....an area that attracts people who are involved in a variety of visual arts. At least since I was in HS in the late 1970's, App State and UNC-A have been well known as "crunchy" schools.

They are great places to go.....get out and experience some diversity.
I live in the low country. I have my whole life except the 5 years at USC. We are in no way like Asheville. There's a pocket of them downtown and amongst the CofC crowd, but that's it. I don't personally care one way or another. But their mindsets don't need to be running any type of government. Life is a business, and you need strong minded people of all backgrounds, but not the hippie/artist crew involved. Peace and love doesn't make the world go around. Thankfully once you get into the actual mountains the towns are still cool.
Btw, a place like Blowing Rock shows you how to be artsy and cool without all the hippie bullshit side of things.

I have a soft spot for WLOS. In 1983 and 1984 I would come home from a date with my high school girlfriend on Saturdays and they had wrestling on at 11:30.

The big issue they have is the same one HHI/Bluffton has.....affordable housing. Housing prices are through the roof (so to speak). We have quite a few dual residents who live both on HHI and in the Asheville area.
I will say this: I live near the Georgia border and I travel a lot into North Carolina. We (South Carolina) should try to mirror North Carolina. Now, Georgia can be a dump. But North Carolina?????? If there is any desire to improve the quality of life in this state, we could do a lot worse than trying to copy North Carolina. I was born, raised and still live in the Palmetto State. I may have just stepped on some toes and might now be banned from FGF. But, so be it. The truth sometimes hurts.

I live in the low country. I have my whole life except the 5 years at USC. We are in no way like Asheville. There's a pocket of them downtown and amongst the CofC crowd, but that's it. I don't personally care one way or another. But their mindsets don't need to be running any type of government. Life is a business, and you need strong minded people of all backgrounds, but not the hippie/artist crew involved. Peace and love doesn't make the world go around. Thankfully once you get into the actual mountains the towns are still cool.
Btw, a place like Blowing Rock shows you how to be artsy and cool without all the hippie bullshit side of things.
Charleston has a very artsy liberal population....very similar to Asheville....and has been that way at least since the beginning of the Spoleto Arts Festival. And since Spoleto began it has drawn more and more individuals of similar background and beliefs. There is just not as much difference between Charleston and Asheville as you would like to believe.

Savannah is quickly becoming another arts haven....if they aren't already.

Reactions: gamecock stock
Charleston has a very artsy liberal population....very similar to Asheville....and has been that way at least since the beginning of the Spoleto Arts Festival. And since Spoleto began it has drawn more and more individuals of similar background and beliefs. There is just not as much difference between Charleston and Asheville as you would like to believe.

Savannah is quickly becoming another arts haven....if they aren't already.
True.

The media market is Greenville Spartanburg Asheville. You can watch WLIS anywhere in the upstate. They are providing coverage for their entire market. Yes, they do provide some Gamecock coverage.

Odd that they cover a highly successful team that their viewers follow. Must be a conspiracy.

just win!
But this is a NC TV station that covers a team from SC and ignores teams from NC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT