ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA

I saw Aja made some comment recently about Caitlin being white and her popularity. While Aja is the top player in the league, defending WNBA champ and former Gamecock it's things like that that make me less likely to watch women's basketball.

I saw Aja made some comment recently about Caitlin being white and her popularity. While Aja is the top player in the league, defending WNBA champ and former Gamecock it's things like that that make me less likely to watch women's basketball.
Why does that bother you?

What Aja said is true. You'd think the WNBA had never existed at all given all the pub it's getting with Caitlin Clark. It's suddenly getting serious time on talk radio during any given week- all about Clark of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Patriot321
I saw her complete comment — she called it racist that people are interested in women’s basketball because of Clark. She obviously wants to continue the lovefest the liberal media has with her. My respect for her is almost gone.

I saw her complete comment — she called it racist that people are interested in women’s basketball because of Clark. She obviously wants to continue the lovefest the liberal media has with her. My respect for her is almost gone.

I don't think it's racist but I can see why she might think that.

It is interesting that suddenly some folks were paying attention because of Clark. Also, she's likely seen some of the things I saw posted on social media about other players.

What I remind myself is that she being a black, female athlete is probably getting bombarded with some vile, nasty, racist stuff a fair amount of the time because I see it on social media a good bit myself and I'm not the target like some athletes might be. So that will cause someone like her to think that stuff a lot.

Last edited:
For some reason, the WNBA enjoys living in wokeness. In their eyes, they can't talk about race and gender enough. It's unnecessary, polarizing, and dated.

The public embraces women's sports at the college level because it's an extension of watching kids play at the amateur level in grade school. The WNBA doesn't have that same appeal and is virtually irrelevant. The NBA is different as it's a sport being played at the highest level.

Yep—it’s interesting that Clark beat the previous college women’s basketball scoring record of another white woman: Kelsey Plum. Nobody in the nation went ape-shit over Plum beating the previous scoring record. So why wasn’t her beating the record racist? And for what it’s worth, Plum is an incredible scorer in the WNBA. Could it not be racist because she’s a teammate of Wilson? And why was it not racist when Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird, and Diana Tarausi dominated the WNBA over the past 10 years? Those women never captured the entire nation’s attention. To Wilson and all the black players who think it’s racist, I’d say your attitude is quite telling on where the racism actually comes from. JMHO

People are excited about Clark because she is someone that is worth watching to them. Their worth is different than others. Just shows how little people care about the current athletes. Get over it. Don't hate because she is white. Imagine how popular Steph Curry would be if he was white.. oh wait nevermind

Yep—it’s interesting that Clark beat the previous college women’s basketball scoring record of another white woman: Kelsey Plum. Nobody in the nation went ape-shit over Plum beating the previous scoring record. So why wasn’t her beating the record racist? And for what it’s worth, Plum is an incredible scorer in the WNBA. Could it not be racist because she’s a teammate of Wilson? And why was it not racist when Breanna Stewart, Sue Bird, and Diana Tarausi dominated the WNBA over the past 10 years? Those women never captured the entire nation’s attention. To Wilson and all the black players who think it’s racist, I’d say your attitude is quite telling on where the racism actually comes from. JMHO
Even Dawn after we won the title against Iowa made very classy remarks about Clark and how she wished her continued success at the next level. Wilson should have followed suit. Any massive popularity for any fellow player regardless of race should be very welcome and supported by all WNBA players-they need the positive coverage.

I don't think it's racist but I can see why she might think that.

It is interesting that suddenly some folks were paying attention because of Clark. Also, she's likely seen some of the things I saw posted on social media about other players.

What I remind myself is that she being a black, female athlete is probably getting bombarded with some vile, nasty, racist stuff a fair amount of the time because I see it on social media a good bit myself and I'm not the target like some athletes might be. So that will cause someone like her to think that stuff a lot.
The opinion of vile, racist vermin like you should be noted, but not taken seriously.

For some reason, the WNBA enjoys living in wokeness. In their eyes, they can't talk about race and gender enough. It's unnecessary, polarizing, and dated.

I don't think so. I think some folks are so sensitive about it these days, that any mention of it grinds their gears because they are such snowflakes.

I think some black players, and some women get called things on social media, and privately, that are vile things that most of us never have to deal with - and certainly never dealt with when we were 22 years old trying to do our job.

My daughter is almost 17. My wife has told me about a few occasions where adult men in stores have said something to her in passing that was over the top disgusting and made her feel uncomfortable and a bit scared. Thankfully, she was with friends each time. She told me she didn't tell me at the time because she didn't want me to know.

I can't imagine, these days, what some of these players have to see and read in their social media feeds. That would impact your view about people pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I don't think so. I think some folks are so sensitive about it these days, that any mention of it grinds their gears because they are such snowflakes.

I think some black players, and some women get called things on social media, and privately, that are vile things that most of us never have to deal with - and certainly never dealt with when we were 22 years old trying to do our job.

My daughter is almost 17. My wife has told me about a few occasions where adult men in stores have said something to her in passing that was over the top disgusting and made her feel uncomfortable and a bit scared. Thankfully, she was with friends each time. She told me she didn't tell me at the time because she didn't want me to do know.

I can't imagine, these days, what some of these players have to see and read in their social media feeds. That would impact your view about people pretty quickly.
I don't think so. Snowflakes are those who are bothered by words. Name-calling has been around forever whether it be based around appearance, weight, ethnicity, gender, etc. It begins in pre-school.

Sadly, media outlets make their living stoking these flames under the guise of moral superiority. The Biden administration was busted with thousands of BOT accounts directed at spreading hate speech once Elon Musk took over Twitter. They were aiming to tank the platform before they could no longer censor speech -- not hate speech mind you, but rather speech they hate. That's how much they actually care about people's feelings.

You really have two choices -- either grow thicker skin or limit your exposure to things like social media because it's never going away.

I don't think so. Snowflakes are those who are bothered by words. Name-calling has been around forever whether it be based around appearance, weight, ethnicity, gender, etc. It begins in pre-school.

Sadly, media outlets make their living stoking these flames under the guise of moral superiority. The Biden administration was busted with thousands of BOT accounts directed at spreading hate speech once Elon Musk took over Twitter. They were aiming to tank the platform before they could no longer censor speech -- not hate speech mind you, but rather speech they hate. That's how much they actually care about people's feelings.

I think snowflakes can be bothered by words but I also see snowflakes that get upset that some people might complain about racism, like a black athlete that complains about it because of their personal experience or a personal opinion.

I agree, media outlets (cable, network, radio, radio talk shows, talk show hosts, etc) do make money stoking flames. Agree there.

I missed where the Biden Administration created thousands of BOT accounts to spread hate speech. Hmmm.

They weren't trying to "censor" speech. The Biden administration, along with the Trump administration, did contact social media companies and ask them to remove certain postings.

"The federal government is entitled to use the bully pulpit to advance its policy goals, and most modern administrations have done so," Thomas Healy, Seton Hall Law School. "Such communications would rise to the level of censorship only if the encouragement crossed the line into coercion or punishment, and that is a factual question."

You really have two choices -- either grow thicker skin or limit your exposure to things like social media because it's never going away.

The irony in this statement is amusing, especially the part about "thicker skin" giving all the constant whining on this thread about what other people say, like Wilson.

You can respond to things you see on social media and voice an opinion that you might not like or agree with (or that I don't like and agree with) and that seems to be what many of them choose to do.

With the amount of publicity that Clark has received compared to other #1 draft picks, people of color may very well view her as the great white hope. That could account for much of the negativity.

Reactions: DeeDave
With the amount of publicity that Clark has received compared to other #1 draft picks, people of color may very well view her as the great white hope. That could account for much of the negativity.
Perhaps. Either way, unless Indiana makes a coaching change interest in Clark will quickly dwindle. The coach needs to use Clark at the point, not as a #2 guard. Clark needs to be allowed to shoot the ball from the point 25 times or more. The Fever sucks as a team but people don’t care about that — they just want to see Clark shoot the long ball.

Reactions: 67gamecock
I think snowflakes can be bothered by words but I also see snowflakes that get upset that some people might complain about racism, like a black athlete that complains about it because of their personal experience or a personal opinion.

I agree, media outlets (cable, network, radio, radio talk shows, talk show hosts, etc) do make money stoking flames. Agree there.

I missed where the Biden Administration created thousands of BOT accounts to spread hate speech. Hmmm.

They weren't trying to "censor" speech. The Biden administration, along with the Trump administration, did contact social media companies and ask them to remove certain postings.

"The federal government is entitled to use the bully pulpit to advance its policy goals, and most modern administrations have done so," Thomas Healy, Seton Hall Law School. "Such communications would rise to the level of censorship only if the encouragement crossed the line into coercion or punishment, and that is a factual question."

The irony in this statement is amusing, especially the part about "thicker skin" giving all the constant whining on this thread about what other people say, like Wilson.

You can respond to things you see on social media and voice an opinion that you might not like or agree with (or that I don't like and agree with) and that seems to be what many of them choose to do.
Thicker skin means you have the emotional capacity to receive/offer comments or criticism without having a meltdown or feeling disenfranchised. The media and entertainment industry fuel this soft generation.

Of course they were trying to censor speech. The laptop, vaccine, etc. This was all in the Twitter Files. There was one party using it as a tool for political gain and election interference. Even founder Jack Dorsey has confirmed this and he was one of the largest Democratic supporters before the party became unhinged and compromised.

Thicker skin means you have the emotional capacity to receive/offer comments or criticism without having a meltdown or feeling disenfranchised. The media and entertainment industry fuel this soft generation.

Of course they were trying to censor speech. The laptop, vaccine, etc. This was all in the Twitter Files. There was one party using it as a tool for political gain and election interference. Even founder Jack Dorsey has confirmed this and he was one of the largest Democratic supporters before the party became unhinged and compromised.

Oh, I know what people claim but my experience is the people accusing everyone of being snowflakes often have the thinnest skin possible.

We disagree on they were censoring speech. Asking someone to remove something or take something off social media isn't censoring views anymore than asking someone to not do something would be classified as preventing them from doing it.

But we won't agree on that anymore than we will ever agree on any other issue.

I remember when heavy weight boxing was big time. Now I seldom hear anything about it. Is because white guys started winning the title?

I remember when heavy weight boxing was big time. Now I seldom hear anything about it. Is because white guys started winning the title?

no.

boxing increasingly moved to Pay Per View, even for lesser fights killing interest with young people

Loss of many big city fight centers which were training grounds for years and years.

and the rise of mixed martial arts.

Reactions: Forever Fowl
no.

boxing increasingly moved to Pay Per View, even for lesser fights killing interest with young people

Loss of many big city fight centers which were training grounds for years and years.

and the rise of mixed martial arts.
I still hear a lot about the other weight classes. Heavy weight has disappeared.

I still hear a lot about the other weight classes. Heavy weight has disappeared.

pretty much. I remember sitting up late at night and catching some AM sports host round by round of fight results back in the late 80s and early 90s. when a fight would be in vegas or atlantic city

host probably wasn't supposed to be calling the right like that but typically they couldn't help themselves and would report what was going on round by round right after it occurred. Was fun.

pretty much. I remember sitting up late at night and catching some AM sports host round by round of fight results back in the late 80s and early 90s. when a fight would be in vegas or atlantic city

host probably wasn't supposed to be calling the right like that but typically they couldn't help themselves and would report what was going on round by round right after it occurred. Was fun.
I remember Friday Night Fights on TV hosted by Jim Lamply. I couldn’t get into it but my dad loved it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT