ADVERTISEMENT

Would we be ranked if Spurrier was our coach?

usc01#

Jan 19, 2001
We know how the media doesn't pay great attention to all the games. But, if we were 7-3 (and 5-3 in the SEC); would we be ranked if Spurrier was still our coach? The national media LOVED Spurrier; I say we'd be sitting at #22 or so. Muschamp doesn't get that national media "bump." What say you?

This sounds like a bit of stretch to suggest he get a higher ranking because of the name of the coach.
The fact that we weren't ranked at the beginning of the season is in all likelihood why we have yet to be ranked, unlike Stanford, LSU, WVU which were.

Plus, didn't Spurrier get a vote? That would be one extra in our favor.

Does he still get a vote?

When you have not been in the standings for awhile..you probably are overlooked a little. It works the otherway also...when you have been in the standings for a long time you stay in longer than you probably should when it is all going bad.

People in the game..the hall of fame coaches and football insiders...most do not have a high opinion of Spurrier. The people who loved him because he made their jobs easy and gave them material....are the commentators and sports writers.

If he was coaching our offense we would probably be 9-1. Only loss would have been to Kentucky. ;)

We know how the media doesn't pay great attention to all the games. But, if we were 7-3 (and 5-3 in the SEC); would we be ranked if Spurrier was still our coach? The national media LOVED Spurrier; I say we'd be sitting at #22 or so. Muschamp doesn't get that national media "bump." What say you?
It is an interesting question but I seriously doubt it. We don’t deserve to be ranked because quite frankly we haven’t beaten anyone really noteworthy, and with only a couple of exceptions, have struggled to beat some really poor teams.

[QUOTE="cocky4, post: 3636361, member: 8370

People in the game..the hall of fame coaches and football insiders...most do not have a high opinion of Spurrier. The people who loved him because he made their jobs easy and gave them material....are the commentators and sports writers.[/QUOTE]

Is this your opinion or do you have some facts to back up your claim? I’m not saying you are wrong necessarily, just find your comment puzzling.

Outside of gamecock fans,he is still popular.Other fan bases didnt view his quiting as a bad thing the way we do.Since he always brought almost constant attention to the program,regardless of his success or lack of, I think so

We have only beaten one team with a winning record. And that was a lowly ACC team NC state. Give it time.

[QUOTE="cocky4, post: 3636361, member: 8370

People in the game..the hall of fame coaches and football insiders...most do not have a high opinion of Spurrier. The people who loved him because he made their jobs easy and gave them material....are the commentators and sports writers.

Is this your opinion or do you have some facts to back up your claim? I’m not saying you are wrong necessarily, just find your comment puzzling.[/QUOTE]

No facts whatsoever....just drunk on blind hatred for the man and take every opportunity to make shit up.

Reactions: NCGamcockFan2167
Is this your opinion or do you have some facts to back up your claim? I’m not saying you are wrong necessarily, just find your comment puzzling.

No facts whatsoever....just drunk on blind hatred for the man and take every opportunity to make shit up.[/QUOTE]
LMAO! I applaud your honesty! I don’t hold him in very high regard myself, just thought you may have some inside info.

If Spurrier was the coach, I would go as far to say we may not have been in the top 25 to start the season.....but we would probably have gotten some votes. Primarily just based on having a returning starter at QB, returning RBs and the majority of the players on defense returning...including Skai Moore. Then after the NC State, we would probably would have been in the top 25. However, after the Kentucky game and A&M game....who knows.

Reactions: woodruffcock
If Whammy/Hoke were the defensive coordinators of this hypothetical 7-3 team, then yes because our quarterback would have to be a Heisman Trophy candidate.
Yeah he would have to be one of the better scrambling QB's in the country.

Yes

Probably not. We're squeaking by mediocre-to-below average teams. And we're doing it with some defense, which is also very un-sexy. I don't concern myself one bit with ranking because I know we're not great. What good would a top 25 do us?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT