ADVERTISEMENT

Wow I can’t believe I’m saying this …

BobbyBReloaded1975

Oct 26, 2019
After all my years of suffering thru Season after season I gotta say for the first time ever …. Full Blown Apathy has set in . Went fishing with a buddy Sat morning and pulled an all day trip . Got the boat cleaned up about 6pm and realized …. Oh S$&t we played a game today . Wasn’t even sure who the opponent was . Checked my phone and saw we won a THRILLING contest . Then it hit me like a brick . For the first time in my lifetime I really don’t care . The previous miserable years even if I wasn’t watching the game I would still be checking the score , checking in periodically etc etc . I always said I didn’t care but I really did . Only highlight I saw was the obvious one that made the NFL pregame shows on Sunday . Jeezz guys has it really come to this ?!? My whole weekend evolved around Sat kickoff for most of my adult life and I totally forgot we had a football game . Thanks Ray . Oh by the way …. Limit of Reds and Specks and 4 legal mangrove snappers . That’s a pretty good Sat .

Well, based on the attendance of a littler over 50,000 actual fans...one of our worst in the last decade (excluding last year)...I'd say a few other fans feel about the same way.

The big problem with this team is that we're boring. We knew we'd be bad, but lordy we're boring as all get out.

I absolutely hear what you're saying, and I think this is Tanner's biggest problem right now. When fans are fired up and pissed off, at least that means they're still on board enough to care, and that's something administrators can work with. When you've got folks choosing other activities or just flat zoning out, you've lost them, and apathy can be a killer for a program and athletic department.

After all my years of suffering thru Season after season I gotta say for the first time ever …. Full Blown Apathy has set in . Went fishing with a buddy Sat morning and pulled an all day trip . Got the boat cleaned up about 6pm and realized …. Oh S$&t we played a game today . Wasn’t even sure who the opponent was . Checked my phone and saw we won a THRILLING contest . Then it hit me like a brick . For the first time in my lifetime I really don’t care . The previous miserable years even if I wasn’t watching the game I would still be checking the score , checking in periodically etc etc . I always said I didn’t care but I really did . Only highlight I saw was the obvious one that made the NFL pregame shows on Sunday . Jeezz guys has it really come to this ?!? My whole weekend evolved around Sat kickoff for most of my adult life and I totally forgot we had a football game . Thanks Ray . Oh by the way …. Limit of Reds and Specks and 4 legal mangrove snappers . That’s a pretty good Sat .
Age and life experiences have a way of putting things into perspective. Love my school but just dont allow sports to determine my happiness and self esteem like so many others.

5p7yqf.jpg

I absolutely hear what you're saying, and I think this is Tanner's biggest problem right now. When fans are fired up and pissed off, at least that means they're still on board enough to care, and that's something administrators can work with. When you've got folks choosing other activities or just flat zoning out, you've lost them, and apathy can be a killer for a program and athletic department.

I got an email with a survey from USC yesterday and I blistered them on this. After the questions there was an open blank for anything else I'd like to add. I said that they had better focus on shifting available money over to the fan experience for the next few years or their won't be any fans left. The players in all sports have new or almost new everything and it's time for USC to take care of us.

A new PA system, ribbon boards, those fancy lights that Bama and Georgia have that are supposed to be on the way, better concessions, TVs on the concourses, etc. I said that the 50,000 that was there on Saturday is your core group and you'd better start taking care of them or that 50,000 will start becoming the norm and not the exception.

If you're a season ticket holder check your email and see if you got a survey. Blow them up like I did.

Well, based on the attendance of a littler over 50,000 actual fans...one of our worst in the last decade (excluding last year)...I'd say a few other fans feel about the same way.

The big problem with this team is that we're boring. We knew we'd be bad, but lordy we're boring as all get out.
yeah...man that was ugly. I don't know if I've ever seen a normal gameday at W-B look like that pre and mid game in the last 35 years.

YES !!! This times a thousand . He was Soooo boring . It’s a chore watching a game trying to stay awake or staying off your phone . I can honestly say if we were 0-5 but lighting up the scoreboard or we had 1 player worth watching I would probably still be invested . We are just so boring

It's just a football game. People have the right to choose to watch or not watch. If hunting, fishing, etc. makes you happier, by all means do what makes you happy. No sense in letting a sport ruin a good Saturday.

Me, I live for college football. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but if the Gamecocks are playing, I'll be watching. Good, bad, or downright ugly.

Yep, all bad teams are not created equal from a fan enjoyment perspective. I've been trying to explain this to the pumpers for awhile. Exciting and disruptive offenses provide hope to a fanbase. The knowledgeable fans understand this team isn't going anywhere soon. But at least give us some entertaining and exciting ball to watch.

Additionally I'd argue the likelihood of upsetting someone in a higher weight class is more likely when you can win a shootout. We've got no shot to win a high scoring game, we are stuck praying for a FG fest.

Get rid of this assistant OL coach and bring in Art Briles or a similar type disruptor at OC.

I got an email with a survey from USC yesterday and I blistered them on this. After the questions there was an open blank for anything else I'd like to add. I said that they had better focus on shifting available money over to the fan experience for the next few years or their won't be any fans left. The players in all sports have new or almost new everything and it's time for USC to take care of us.

A new PA system, ribbon boards, those fancy lights that Bama and Georgia have that are supposed to be on the way, better concessions, TVs on the concourses, etc. I said that the 50,000 that was there on Saturday is your core group and you'd better start taking care of them or that 50,000 will start becoming the norm and not the exception.

If you're a season ticket holder check your email and see if you got a survey. Blow them up like I did.

They need to win first.

Reactions: uscg1984

Congrats. The success or failures of teenagers playing a sport should be background noise in the game of life.

Used to be my heart would race during the game. Especially a conference game. I never get that anymore. Could be I’m older. But honestly I believe it’s because I used to believe we were about to turn the corner. About to be competitive with the Georgia’s and Florida’s. Now I just flat don’t believe it. As long as your opponents get the first pick of players. And your admin isn’t serious about crossing every T. It’s not gonna happen.

The crowd that showed up was very involved in the game. We have growing pains right now for a variety of reasons. I had four tickets, used two, couldn’t give the other two away. This is a combo of Ray Tanner hiring Muschamp, Muschamp basically being who is and was (hard headed and dumb as hell promoting unproven coordinators), Beamer’s attempt to change the culture, and COVID thrown in for good measure. If you want to go hunting, fishing, sleep all day that’s your prerogative. Staying away in droves from our home games isn’t helping the program any, but whatever blows your dress up???

The crowd that showed up was very involved in the game. We have growing pains right now for a variety of reasons. I had four tickets, used two, couldn’t give the other two away. This is a combo of Ray Tanner hiring Muschamp, Muschamp basically being who is and was (hard headed and dumb as hell promoting unproven coordinators), Beamer’s attempt to change the culture, and COVID thrown in for good measure. If you want to go hunting, fishing, sleep all day that’s your prerogative. Staying away in droves from our home games isn’t helping the program any, but whatever blows your dress up???
The crowd was involved at the start but by the forth quarter half were gone. You have to give people something (especially the students) worth staying for and that isn’t happening.

I hear you, but I fear that the administration will read comments like these and believe the _main_ reason people aren't coming to the games is because of these lack of upgrades. They will spend even more money to increase the "fan experience," when what they really need are more wins (or at least the prospect of more wins so that fans will stay excited). The OP didn't spend all day on the lake because Williams-Brice doesn't have enough amenities. He completely forgot we were playing a game because there was absolutely nothing about this game to generate any interest.

I think this is a precarious time for the program. Covid made a lot of folks realize there are a lot of fun ways to spend a fall Saturday afternoon that doesn't involve college football. In a way, programs around the country are "reintroducing" themselves to their fanbases in an effort to get them back in the habit of going to games. That effort is going to prove especially difficult for those programs that struggle to win and/or generate excitement.

Next time you can't give your tix away to family or friends, why not post them as free on the free tix exchange?
Or offer them to a fire/ police station?
Just an idea.

I don’t think this is unique to USC. College football has been fighting this for the last several years. The disparity between the few haves and wannabes is huge. This year there is a bit more parity after Alabama and Georgia, but it’s still an issue.

I do remember back in the early 1990’s attending a game against Mississippi State. The upper deck was empty, maybe 55,000 fans there. The State newspaper called the upper decks the gaping jaws. This was Tanneyhil’s first start and we were 0-5. This was a spark, we won and fans started coming back. We haven’t always drawn 80,000 to every game, no matter what folks say. I guess my point is you have to have a hope to believe in, I’m hoping Beamer’s tenure is that.

It's just a football game. People have the right to choose to watch or not watch. If hunting, fishing, etc. makes you happier, by all means do what makes you happy. No sense in letting a sport ruin a good Saturday.

Me, I live for college football. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but if the Gamecocks are playing, I'll be watching. Good, bad, or downright ugly.

I love football but all my interest has shifted to Sundays now . For the last few years NFL has total transplanted CFB for me and I’m sure that’s because my team stinks . Also I think the fact that you know beyond a shadow of doubt that the National title will come down to 3 or 4 teams and the rest are just playing for scraps . I don’t even have an NFL team that I 100 percent support but I know from 12pm until 10pm I’ll be on the couch all day watching as many games at a time as possible . 10 years ago I never would have believed it but it’s not even close for me anymore . I’ll use the Carolina Panthers as a perfect example . Yes they sucked and just like us they fired a coach cleaned house and started over . Last year they were below .500 but they were FUN TO WATCH !!! You could see young exciting players and now Rhule has them headed in the right direction . I look at our team and I see none of that .. yet . Beamer has charisma and I love his energy but right now I just can’t get excited for our future . The only two players on the team they are even slightly entertaining will be gone next year . Hopefully we will see a spark these last few games

Reactions: chief2791
Had this moment about 3 yrs ago. No more screaming at the tv or getting excited. Life is too short to worry about how a bunch of kids are going to play. So...Bama has 18 or so ships...what do those do for their fans? Gives them something to talk about that they had no part of? Does any of it really matter? Nope

It appears to me that the USC Ath. Dept. has always been made up of a diverse group hailing from many areas
with many different university backgrounds. Working at USC is just a job.

By contrast those people at Clemson are brainwashed orange. Most of them would work there for free. And they hate anything and everything Carolina.

Some of the things you mention would be welcome. WHAT WE REALLY NEED IS BETTER RECRUITING!!

Reactions: GamecockTripp
I'm 47 years old and an alumnus. At halftime I went and laid down for a nap and slept like a baby. Opened my eyes and there were two minutes left in the game. Didn't feel bad about that at all. First time I've done that in a lifetime of watching the Gamecocks. Interpret as you will.

My husband and I love college football. We plan our activities in the fall around games. We get together with friends and eat and sometimes drink too much.
We did stop buying season tickets several sseasons ago. We still make it to at least one home game a year and try to go to at least one away.
So do what makes you and your family happy.

I'm 47 years old and an alumnus. At halftime I went and laid down for a nap and slept like a baby. Opened my eyes and there were two minutes left in the game. Didn't feel bad about that at all. First time I've done that in a lifetime of watching the Gamecocks. Interpret as you will.

Bro tell me about it !!! It’s crazy . My buddy called me the night before and I met him at the boat launch at 530am and Gamecock football never remotely entered my mind until I got In the truck to head home . Never thought that would ever happen .

Bro tell me about it !!! It’s crazy . My buddy called me the night before and I met him at the boat launch at 530am and Gamecock football never remotely entered my mind until I got In the truck to head home . Never thought that would ever happen .
Yeah, man, I get it. I'm still invested and care, but increasingly it's not dominating my Saturdays like before.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Don't know how old you are, but there are many things I don't care about anymore. It's not just gamecock football.

Cosign.

Yet you are on a fan message board writing a novel ....alrighty then.

Reactions: kidrobinski

May I ask your age?

If the fish are biting, GO FISHING! Does not matter who is playing.

Times change. I never missed a game or a NASCAR race in the 80s and 90s, now I rarely watch one. On Saturdays, I was in the stadium or glued to the TV for 10 hours. Now, if it’s nice and cool outside, I’m outside. Maybe burn out.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
SC is in squarely in the middle of a boring, forgettable decade of football. The last few games I've went to I start fantasizing about it being over before the 1st qtr ends. After watching Clemson this year I've wondered did this decease spread to the upstate lol.

I don’t think the last game was boring since we didn’t know who was going to win. We even had a pick six from the defense.

I want a boring game like Alabama produces: there is no question who will win and every time they get the ball, they score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT