ADVERTISEMENT

XFL ‘s effects of NCAA

I think the NCAA would welcome kids that don't have any interest in college going to the XFL.

As it is, I think most people's issue with the NCAA (as it relates to the amateur model) mostly stems from the NFL age restriction. If the age restriction is gone, then every kid that can be making money playing professional football, will be. Then any kid that wants to go to college to improve as a player and better their chances as a pro are welcome to. (Which is basically what college is about.) Right now, the NCAA is the best place to go while the NFL maintains its draconian age restriction.

If the XFL becomes a place professional level 18-20 year old football players can go instead of college - the NCAA would love it. Then it removes the major argument against the amateur model.

Statements made by Luck indicate they would be interested in going after college freshman and sophomores in the future. Still no indication that they would take kids straight from high school. This, in my opinion, would cause total chaos for college football to introduce one and dones.

I don't really know how this would work. With the AAF being a spring league, I don't really see it being feasible take a kid who's just a month so away from having played a full college football season and putting him into training camp for the AAF. This would also mean kids have to quit school mid-year. I guess you would play your freshman year, then sit out your sophomore year and pick up the AAF in the spring. But then once the AAF started their season, the kid will have gone a full year+ without having played football.

I'm not at all concerned. The more people we steer away from college who really have no interest in getting an education, the better off all the parties will be. I don't care if the best athletes aren't out there. We didn't see the best athletes anyway before integration but people still loved the competition and attended games. I just want competent, spirited, honest play. I also want my team to be competitive.
...and to represent USC, both on and off the competitive field of play.

Reactions: king ward
I'm not at all concerned. The more people we steer away from college who really have no interest in getting an education, the better off all the parties will be. I don't care if the best athletes aren't out there. We didn't see the best athletes anyway before integration but people still loved the competition and attended games. I just want competent, spirited, honest play. I also want my team to be competitive.

As it stand, though, it sounds like it will most likely create a one and done (or two and done) scenario for college football. That would be disastrous.

Just because a baseball player turns pro immediately doesn't mean they don't much value an education.

Multi million dollar contracts means a lot more to the player and their families especially when they are coming out of poverty. There is no point in playing for free for 4 years for an "education" when you are talented enough to turn pro and begin earning millions immediately

A poverty stricken baseball player will opt for a minor league contract in a well-developed MiLB structure over a partial athletic baseball scholarship. Probably wouldn't even visit a college campus.

so in 2 years 11 months & 3 weeks, we might need to worry about some of our high school kids, particularly some that don't have the grades for college.

I think its bigger odds to see if there is a season 2 for the xFl
Disagree. Again, folks should not compare this to the well-seasoned NFL, Need to give the XFL time to find it's footing/niche.

I think that in the long run the XFL and NFL will develop some kind of working relationship.

I think the NCAA would welcome kids that don't have any interest in college going to the XFL.

As it is, I think most people's issue with the NCAA (as it relates to the amateur model) mostly stems from the NFL age restriction. If the age restriction is gone, then every kid that can be making money playing professional football, will be. Then any kid that wants to go to college to improve as a player and better their chances as a pro are welcome to. (Which is basically what college is about.) Right now, the NCAA is the best place to go while the NFL maintains its draconian age restriction.

If the XFL becomes a place professional level 18-20 year old football players can go instead of college - the NCAA would love it. Then it removes the major argument against the amateur model.

I agree with all of the above except that college is supposed about getting an education and learning how to learn (on your own). not about job training.

Reactions: gamecockwrestler
Statements made by Luck indicate they would be interested in going after college freshman and sophomores in the future. Still no indication that they would take kids straight from high school. This, in my opinion, would cause total chaos for college football to introduce one and dones.

I don't really know how this would work. With the AAF being a spring league, I don't really see it being feasible take a kid who's just a month so away from having played a full college football season and putting him into training camp for the AAF. This would also mean kids have to quit school mid-year. I guess you would play your freshman year, then sit out your sophomore year and pick up the AAF in the spring. But then once the AAF started their season, the kid will have gone a full year+ without having played football.
Substitute XFL for AAF?

Good questions. One of many issues to be worked out as they go along; no problem with that.

I do like your concern regarding kids quitting school

Reactions: gamecockwrestler
As it stand, though, it sounds like it will most likely create a one and done (or two and done) scenario for college football. That would be disastrous.

Good point. I personally despise the ___-and-dones.

Schools may have to extend schollys for four years (instead of annual renewals) with some sort of penalty for "early contract termination". Details would need to be worked out.

Disagree. Again, folks should not compare this to the well-seasoned NFL, Need to give the XFL time to find it's footing/niche.

I think that in the long run the XFL and NFL will develop some kind of working relationship.

Appreciate your feed back, I don't see any reference to the NFL in my post, or a comparison. I believe the XFL will be lucky to see a second season (ratings will guide their fate), and monumentally lucky to exist longer, I also highly doubt higher profile recruits who are eligible to play in the college would opt for the XFL path, so that kinda leaves project players who aren't drafted or don't make a practice squad ......

I am also OK with being wrong, and happy to check back in a year or two

Appreciate your feed back, I don't see any reference to the NFL in my post, or a comparison. I believe the XFL will be lucky to see a second season (ratings will guide their fate), and monumentally lucky to exist longer, I also highly doubt higher profile recruits who are eligible to play in the college would opt for the XFL path, so that kinda leaves project players who aren't drafted or don't make a practice squad ......

I am also OK with being wrong, and happy to check back in a year or two
Correct, nothing in your comments re: the NFL.

I merely wish to point out that one really can't judge the XFL by NFL standards, and assert that viewership needs to understand this.

At this point, its probably difficult for many fans to become attached to a team. Again, give it time.

Below is a partial quote from an ESPN article from Feb 10:

The [Dallas] Renegades game, played at the former home of the Texas Rangers, drew Dallas sports royalty. Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman roamed the concourse, supporting his friend and Renegades executive Daryl Johnston. Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray, who went to high school in Allen, Texas, was in attendance as well. So was retired coach Steve Spurrier, whose son Scott is a Renegades assistant coach.

I will turn all four of my tvs on the XFL games this weekend. Really hope it makes it. I admire Vince McMahon for giving this a second go. And it's much better thought out

Reactions: atl-cock
Good point. I personally despise the ___-and-dones.

Schools may have to extend schollys for four years (instead of annual renewals) with some sort of penalty for "early contract termination". Details would need to be worked out.

Good thought on the schollies. It being a spring league really throws a monkey wrench into the college aspect. They may have to put explicit language in them that stipulates if a kid leaves before 3 years and plays professionally, then they agree to have wages garnished to pay for full room, board and tuition for the time they spent in school.

Reactions: atl-cock
None and done would be better. That's what I'm hoping for.

Yeah, as much as it would hit the quality of college football, it would certainly solve a lot of problems regarding whether college players should get paid etc.

However, it just doesn't sound like the XFL has really considered the option of taking kids straight out of high school. There's no mistake the XFL is a scrub league...not that they aren't talented players, but facts are facts and they are players who couldn't make it in the NFL and 95% of them will never make it back...but it would still be a stretch for a kid to go straight from high school to playing professionally. Someone like a Clowney could have but that's rare.

College will have to come up with some kind of solution if the XFL proves viable and begins to pursue kids after their freshman year. It will be chaos.

Yeah, as much as it would hit the quality of college football, it would certainly solve a lot of problems regarding whether college players should get paid etc.

However, it just doesn't sound like the XFL has really considered the option of taking kids straight out of high school. There's no mistake the XFL is a scrub league...not that they aren't talented players, but facts are facts and they are players who couldn't make it in the NFL and 95% of them will never make it back...but it would still be a stretch for a kid to go straight from high school to playing professionally. Someone like a Clowney could have but that's rare.

College will have to come up with some kind of solution if the XFL proves viable and begins to pursue kids after their freshman year. It will be chaos.
And if so, colleges will have to do something to reestablish the integrity of their game.

And if so, colleges will have to do something to reestablish the integrity of their game.

What would be your solution to guys leaving after their freshman or sophomore years? Either to remedy it or prevent it. Thoughts?

It it is quite possible that the specter of the XFL pilfering college football of it's most talented players could actually be the final push that causes the NCAA to let players capitalized on their name and likeness.

What would be your solution to guys leaving after their freshman or sophomore years? Either to remedy it or prevent it. Thoughts?

It it is quite possible that the specter of the XFL pilfering college football of it's most talented players could actually be the final push that causes the NCAA to let players capitalized on their name and likeness.
Tie every scholarship, even athletic scholarships, to upper-level academic performance in high school. That would take care of most if not all of the problem.

Reactions: Brace1 and atl-cock
Good for those that are good enough to take advantage of it. Folks can talk all they want about how tuition, room and board, and training they get is priceless, but it has to be a gut punch when head coaches are making millions and the lowest position coach is making well into six digits. Not to mention the pockets lined of administrators and those at the NCAA with billion dollar TV deals. In effect, they are the only actors on the stage that dont get a piece of the action. Now you are going to have some that try and flame out, just like declaring for the NBA draft, but that is their decision. It's a free country.

Reactions: cadcock

IMO, the XFL is still a work in progress.

Good thought on the schollies. It being a spring league really throws a monkey wrench into the college aspect. They may have to put explicit language in them that stipulates if a kid leaves before 3 years and plays professionally, then they agree to have wages garnished to pay for full room, board and tuition for the time they spent in school.

Now that is stupid

Why do you think that is stupid?

Reactions: king ward
Why do you think that is stupid?
For 1 it’s unfair to the player. I am shocked at some of the responses on here. I for one have a player first mentality. I like the transfer portal. I think players should be able to change teams with out penalty. I’m am not for a free agency during the middle of the year but if you want to change schools in December, they should be able to do that. Especially if there is a coaching change, position or head coach.

Plenty of people watch college baseball, what’s the difference. In my opinion the one and dones don’t owe the school a dang thing. They make tons of money off these kids. If a 5star QB lights it up his freshman year and wants to move to the xfl then he should be able to with out penalty. I know most will not agree with me but quit fooling yourself that most of these kids care about a college education, they don’t.

For 1 it’s unfair to the player. I am shocked at some of the responses on here. I for one have a player first mentality. I like the transfer portal. I think players should be able to change teams with out penalty. I’m am not for a free agency during the middle of the year but if you want to change schools in December, they should be able to do that. Especially if there is a coaching change, position or head coach.

Plenty of people watch college baseball, what’s the difference. In my opinion the one and dones don’t owe the school a dang thing. They make tons of money off these kids. If a 5star QB lights it up his freshman year and wants to move to the xfl then he should be able to with out penalty. I know most will not agree with me but quit fooling yourself that most of these kids care about a college education, they don’t.
And that's why I would love to see the XFL draft those straight out of high school, and leave college for those who truly value an education.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT