ADVERTISEMENT

Yardcocks won Game 2 against Arky

When Arkansas quit trying to do too much at the plate, they blew this thing wide open.

Why all the gloom and doom? We scored one less run than the #2 team in the country in the 3-game series. Although, It would have been nice to win game #1 in that pitcher's battle.

Why all the gloom and doom? We scored one less run than the #2 team in the country in the 3-game series. Although, It would have been nice to win game #1 in that pitcher's battle.
Moral victory? We lost another SEC series. If we had won the series, you can add that to your resume for hosting a regional. If we make the NCAA tournament, hosting is looking less likely unless we go on a winning streak with a month left and the SEC tournament.

Reactions: cockofdawn
Moral victory? We lost another SEC series. If we had won the series, you can add that to your resume for hosting a regional. If we make the NCAA tournament hosting is looking less likely unless we go on a winning streak with a month left and the SEC tournament.
It's what happened. Arkansas is as good as anyone this season and we played them very close this weekend.

We can't bring Ray Tanner or Steve Spurrier back. Also, it's been mentioned previously, but Tanner was close to .500 in the SEC over half of the time he coached here. We were a hair from getting to Omaha last season. Let's see how this one turns out before we drive a stake into Kingston and start from scratch again.

We've won 2 out of the 6 SEC series'. We are currently sitting at .500 in conference... and that is with pretty good pitching. As it stands, we are almost mediocre. It is getting old and frustrating to some of us that have been watching and hoping to see improvement. Personally I think we could have won this series with a different approach in game one but it is what it is... frustrating.

We've won 2 out of the 6 SEC series'. We are currently sitting at .500 in conference... and that is with pretty good pitching. As it stands, we are almost mediocre. It is getting old and frustrating to some of us that have been watching and hoping to see improvement. Personally I think we could have won this series with a different approach in game one but it is what it is... frustrating.
Agree. We're definitely inconsistent which is a little maddening.

I'm just scratching my head a bit at these comments because we were damn good last season and went into this weekend's series at 23-10 and ranked #20th. We played #2 very close and swept #3 a few weekends ago. We're not as bad as some are making us out to be. I'm not sure any school in the country would want to replace Kingston right now. If we miss the regionals, then it might be time to re-evaluate.

Reactions: bucketdad
Agree. We're definitely inconsistent which is a little maddening.

I'm just scratching my head a bit at these comments because we were damn good last season and went into this weekend's series at 23-10 and ranked #20th. We played #2 very close and swept #3 a few weekends ago. We're not as bad as some are making us out to be. I'm not sure any school in the country would want to replace Kingston right now. If we miss the regionals, then it might be time to re-evaluate.
I think we agree this team is likely better than their record indicates. Underachieving is not exactly a coaching endorsement but what will matter is how we play at the end of the season. At this point we can make the path easier or harder.

Reactions: sclawman77
OMG, we should be happy with losing a series AT HOME!! Oh my bad, didnt realize this team had fallen that far, that winning one out of THREE we should be ecstatic!!

This team seems to have the ceiling that we are seeing most every week.

It's lining up like a typical Kingston team - limited- and Kingston is saying the same things he always says - in Muschamp fashion "we are a hit away." "we are right there with the best teams"

we can lose by 9 runs and Kingston will talk about how 1 hit was the difference.

We are currently tied for 4th in the SEC East with the 5th best overall record out of 7 teams.

OMG, we should be happy with losing a series AT HOME!! Oh my bad, didnt realize this team had fallen that far, that winning one out of THREE we should be ecstatic!!
Where have you been since Ray Tanner left? That wasn't yesterday.

We can always keep flipping coaches in the hope of recreating history. My point is that from the beginning of last season until today, Kingston has been doing a pretty good job even by (overall) Ray Tanner-era standards. If he misses the postseason this year, he should probably be on the hot seat. It's a wait-and-see situation.

Last edited:
This team seems to have the ceiling that we are seeing most every week.

It's lining up like a typical Kingston team - limited- and Kingston is saying the same things he always says - in Muschamp fashion "we are a hit away." "we are right there with the best teams"

we can lose by 9 runs and Kingston will talk about how 1 hit was the difference.

We are currently tied for 4th in the SEC East with the 5th best overall record out of 7 teams.
Seriously? We were one game away from the 8-team finals in Omaha last year and lost to runner-up UF. That's nothing like what happened under Muschamp in football.

We can always keep flipping coaches in the hope of recreating history. My point is that from the beginning of last season until today, Kingston has been doing a pretty good job even by (overall) Ray Tanner-era standards. If he misses the postseason this year, he should probably be on the hot seat. It's a wait-and-see situation.
I still say, this is his last chance, (IMO) if he doesn't get Carolina to Omaha, we need to find someone that will. Obviously you disagree, that is your prerogative, but the standard has been set, Back to back National titles, well if you can't recruit off of that and cant coach up the players you do recruit, well, i say, you had your chance. Why isn't South Carolina #2 and Arky coming to town?? That's my point.. Hell they got beat by taters and Ga Southern's Midweek pitcher and Belmont at home, hell that is enough to piss fans off, then this is just Compounding it..

Reactions: PaleoCock
Seriously? We were one game away from the 8-team finals in Omaha last year and lost to runner-up UF. That's nothing like what happened under Muschamp in football.

Chad Holbrook was one win away from Omaha his first year.

Almost doesn't count. Especially repetitive ones.

When recruiting, the baseball coach at South Carolina should be able to walk into any high school or junior college in the country and have instant credibility. Any head coach at South Carolina should have some serious advantages. Not the case with our football program

I still say, this is his last chance, (IMO) if he doesn't get Carolina to Omaha, we need to find someone that will. Obviously you disagree, that is your prerogative, but the standard has been set, Back to back National titles, well if you can't recruit off of that and cant coach up the players you do recruit, well, i say, you had your chance. Why isn't South Carolina #2 and Arky coming to town?? That's my point.. Hell they got beat by taters and Ga Southern's Midweek pitcher and Belmont at home, hell that is enough to piss fans off, then this is just Compounding it..
I just don't see how the AD would release a coach who had us in the Top 5 last season on the brink of Omaha and ranked in the Top 20 again this year unless he misses the postseason.

There might be an outside chance he might get canned if he doesn't make it to the Supers but that's probably pretty low. IMO, Kingston needs to make it to Omaha for future job security. Right now, he probably knows he needs to make the postseason each year at this point in his tenure or start looking for a new job.

Last edited:
Chad Holbrook was one win away from Omaha his first year.

Almost doesn't count.

When recruiting, the baseball coach at South Carolina should be able to walk into any high school or junior college in the country and have instant credibility. Any head coach at South Carolina should have some serious advantages. Not the case with our football program
And fans were happy with Holbrook after Year 1. So you would fire Kingston right now?

We've been lowering expectations in every men's major sport since Tanner became AD. Now the fans are content with competing with but not beating a top SEC opponent in a big baseball series.

We've been lowering expectations in every men's major sport since Tanner became AD. Now the fans are content with competing with but not beating a top SEC opponent in a big series.
Arkansas was #2 in the country. We swept #3 Vandy a few weeks ago. Tanner had plenty of teams around .500 in the SEC during his tenure and the SEC is stronger today by a considerable margin.

Arkansas was #2 in the country. We swept #3 Vandy a few weeks ago. Tanner had plenty of teams around .500 in the SEC during his tenure and the SEC is stronger today by a considerable margin.
Tanner also got a pass for those .500 SEC seasons because his teams typically played better in the postseason unlike Kingston's teams. Tanner also had job security because his sixth thru eighth seasons finished in Omaha including a national title game. See below. The 2005-2009 Omaha drought was much more forgivable considering we'd made a three peat there from 2002-2004. By the end of Tanner's career, he just had a group of guys that expected to win every game.

SEC regular season record

(4th season) 2000: 25-5
2001: 17-13
2002: 21-8
2003: 19-11
2004: 17-13
2005: 16-14
2006: 15-15
2007: 17-13
2008: 15-15
2009: 17-13
2010: 21-9
2011: 22-8
2012: 18-11

Tanner also got a pass for those .500 SEC seasons because his teams typically played better in the postseason unlike Kingston's teams. Tanner also had job security because his sixth thru eighth seasons finished in Omaha including a national title game. See below. The 2005-2009 Omaha drought was much more forgivable considering we'd made a three peat there from 2002-2004. By the end of Tanner's career, he just had a group of guys that expected to win every game.

We lost to UF in the Supers and we ranked in the Top 5-10 all season? No one is going to fire a coach who is coming off that performance and is ranked in the Top 25 again this year.

I'm not here to say Kingston has been as good as Tanner overall. However, firing him right now doesn't make much sense whatsoever. As stated, if he misses the postseason this season that could change. That's when you review his entire body of work.

The way I remember it, under Tanner, his player's first year in the lineup wasn't typically their best. With Kingston it appears to be the norm. That's a very sad difference in the two coaches imo. I mean we have an entire team right now where everyone that was in the lineup last year was better last year. Crazy.

Reactions: cockofdawn
I'd fire Kingston at the end of the year if we don't win a regional. Sometimes it's time to move on.
Concur. That speaks directly to my point. Let's see how the season closes out first. Calls for firing him today are silly. No school would fire him right now.

Concur. That speaks directly to my point. Let's see how the season closes out first. Calls for firing him today are silly. No school would fire him right now.
I have already said, if he doesnt make Omaha this year, Fire Him, NOT NOW, he still has a SLIM chance. He will have to win a regional at an away spot and a Super at an away spot.. (unless something drastically improves) they will be away.

I have already said, if he doesnt make Omaha this year, Fire Him, NOT NOW, he still has a SLIM chance. He will have to win a regional at an away spot and a Super at an away spot.. (unless something drastically improves) they will be away.
I don't think he gets fired if he doesn't make it out of the Supers nor believe he should be. Play has been inconsistent but we've been ranked all season and have beaten some of the best teams in the country this year.

Also don't believe he gets fired if he just makes the postseason, especially after being in the Supers last season. IMO, that should be a consideration based on the overall body of work.

I understand. But I didn't say fire him now. if he doesn't win a regional, it's time to move on. I think he knows this too.

Reactions: PaleoCock
I don't think he gets fired if he doesn't make it out of the Supers nor believe he should be. Play has been inconsistent but we've been ranked all season and have beaten some of the best teams in the country this year.

Also don't believe he gets fired if he just makes the postseason, especially after being in the Supers last season. IMO, that should be a consideration based on the overall body of work.
Perfect, we will agree to Disagree. I dont think he will be fired, even if he doesnt win another game,, Tanner has no Balls to do it. But if he doesnt get to Omaha, IMO, he should be fired..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT