ADVERTISEMENT

Youngest daughter to the taters...

My daughter is in her final semester at AU(Anderson University). Next fall, she starts her masters program at tater tech. She’s all Gamecock though. Only thing that kept her from going to USC is that she didn’t want to be away from home 😀
There are other Master programs in the Upstate. LOL

My oldest daughter has two choices: Clemson or Michigan Tech. I pray she goes to Taterville.

Is it really marketing? This is a really sore point for me. South Carolina needs a better president and deans to improve educational quality there. South Carolina has been lagging behind Clemson for a while in academics in almost every field (except the fake international business degree that they brag about). There's 0 reason for the flagship university to be lower in the academic world than a number of the other colleges in the state. In Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Virginia, the flagship university is #1 in their state. In Georgia, Tennessee, and Louisiana, they're #2. Even in North Carolina with its fantastic schools, UNC is #3.

University of Massachusetts says hold my beer.

They may not be in the top 10.

• Haha
Reactions: caughtlookin
I know three young men now from MP that went to Moo U due to majors. All THREE remain USC FANS, even though they have CU degrees. My oldest son is a USC Grad, and my youngest and only daughter graduated in 2020 from USC. Middle son went to C of C, but is huge Gamecock fan. I am blessed lol

Lifelong Gamecock fan. I wanted to go to USC. Navy had different plans. But they paid my undergrad and graduate degrees, so no loans to pay back and a good pension after 26 years, and a career field that has been pretty nice post service. So, I understand why others must make choices. Still a lifetime Gamecock fan and a season ticket holder and donor for athletics and alumni (well, I guess technically that is the wife’s donation since I am not an alumni).

Is it really marketing? This is a really sore point for me. South Carolina needs a better president and deans to improve educational quality there. South Carolina has been lagging behind Clemson for a while in academics in almost every field (except the fake international business degree that they brag about). There's 0 reason for the flagship university to be lower in the academic world than a number of the other colleges in the state. In Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Virginia, the flagship university is #1 in their state. In Georgia, Tennessee, and Louisiana, they're #2. Even in North Carolina with its fantastic schools, UNC is #3.
Good question. I do think it's marketing to some degree, but also effort by Clemson to meet metrics that lower their admission rate and boost their ranking, and word of mouth. I do think USC offers every bit as good of an education, particularly in some majors (IMO the business school really is outstanding), while Clemson has some really strong majors as well. The Honors College at USC is second to none. But the perception around here (Fort Mill, Rock Hill) is that Clemson is much tougher to get into. Our high school counselors said verbatim at the senior meeting "only the top 1 or 2% of you will get into Clemson," which wasn't true at all. Friends of ours had kids with low average grades and SAT scores and got in. But eventually perception becomes reality.

Alabama, Mississippi, UGA, Tennessee, and LSU (along with South Carolina and Clemson) are all fine schools, but I think anybody that says they chose those schools mostly because of some hair-splitting academic rankings are either lying, were sold a bill of goods, or those were simply the best schools that accepted them. Outside of the elite schools, I think most kids pick a college based on a combination of tangibles and intangibles that generally come down to where they feel the "best fit" lies. As much as I hate Clemson, it's easy to see why a kid might feel comfortable going there after spending some time walking around its campus. The fact that their football team is now a perennial contender would only add to their enthusiasm for the Clemson community.

As for UNC and UVA achieving near-elite status, I don't know why that should be an aspiration for SC's flagship university from a public policy standpoint. If the people of NC and VA are fine with those schools being unattainable for the median college-bound residents of those states, that's up to them, but at least kids in those states have _many_ state university options. I think it's appropriate that the typical college-bound SC resident sees Carolina as an attainable option.

I had a blast at USC in the late 1970's/early 80's/.My two kids that are USC alumni had a blast as well. USC has some really good majors, just as Clemson does. Depends on what you want to do as a career. CU seems harder to get into because it is, they literally accept fewer Freshman each year. I think USC accepted a Freshman class around 5,000 in 2020.

Good question. I do think it's marketing to some degree, but also effort by Clemson to meet metrics that lower their admission rate and boost their ranking, and word of mouth. I do think USC offers every bit as good of an education, particularly in some majors (IMO the business school really is outstanding), while Clemson has some really strong majors as well. The Honors College at USC is second to none. But the perception around here (Fort Mill, Rock Hill) is that Clemson is much tougher to get into. Our high school counselors said verbatim at the senior meeting "only the top 1 or 2% of you will get into Clemson," which wasn't true at all. Friends of ours had kids with low average grades and SAT scores and got in. But eventually perception becomes reality.
Agree. My daughter is a jr. at USC Honors and it has been a great experience. The quality of students appears impressive to me and I believe she has gotten a great education. While I’m sure there is room for improvement there are a number of highly ranked programs

Reactions: coolcock2001
As the state university the admissions range is wider, more rounded. I talked with a lot of friends that went to Clemson and they said the admission rankings were inflated by out of state engineering students. I don’t know much about the IB but the Public health and nursing schools are very good. USC also offers many more graduate programs.

My daughter is in her final semester at AU(Anderson University). Next fall, she starts her masters program at tater tech. She’s all Gamecock though. Only thing that kept her from going to USC is that she didn’t want to be away from home 😀
Shoot to me a 2 hr drive from home is a commute.

I believe Auburn is more highly rated than Alabama

What matters is that they go where the curriculum meets their needs. My son grew up Tater as did my daughter. My son had a full academic ride to USC which fitted his needs academically better then Clemson. He decided that he wanted to be “all in” and became a Gamecock. My daughter got turned around too. She just got her degree in December.

Anybody hiring?

Lmfao at this stupid post!

Reactions: Lowcountry1
What matters is that they go where the curriculum meets their needs. My son grew up Tater as did my daughter. My son had a full academic ride to USC which fitted his needs academically better then Clemson. He decided that he wanted to be “all in” and became a Gamecock. My daughter got turned around too. She just got her degree in December.

Anybody hiring?
Amazon

The Honors College used to be a major emphasis at South Carolina, but it's really fallen off. They used to always rank in the top 3-4, but they've fallen. Of the three major rankings online, I only see South Carolina listed on help-to-study's at #10. At that same time, Clemson's is #2 on National University Honors, #3 on Prep Scholar's, and #3 on Help to Study. My understanding is that some of the prominent professors at South Carolina who were involved in the Honors College left and the school puts less emphasis on it than it did 10 years ago (which is a shame, because it was an excellent draw). Clemson seems to have given the Honors' College Director a blank check (I don't know if you've seen the pretty incredible Residential College they built there for them). But the Honors College at South Carolina is still good, I just think more emphasis should be placed on it.

I think the business school is probably the best in the state. But from my dealings with corporations in my line of work, it seems that your undergrad business schools means very, very little unless you went to an Ivy or Stanford or similar. That was my point when I mocked the international business degree. The reason only a handful of schools offer it is because it provides little value. International corporations (or consulting, accounting, or investment banks) do not care about undergrad unless it's something they can wave in front of clients (like a Harvard degree). Outside of that, it's all about an MBA. And I think MBA's for the most part are not worth it, as they're insanely expensive and it seems that all the major corporations target the M7. South Carolina might have a decent business school, but it's not an M7. So if you want to be an entrepreneur, learning from others successful will serve you far better than an MBA.

I don't think that's just perception, unless you're saying that it was just perception but has now materialized as a real thing because schools have pumped it as super prestigious. Looks like South Carolina's average weighted incoming GPA is a 4.0 and SAT is 1270. Clemson's is 4.43 and 1320. Furman is 4.04 and 1309. Wofford and South Carolina are equal.

My bad. I thought Alabama was better than Auburn.

Yeah, that makes sense. My personal belief is that too many people are pushed into 4 year colleges. They take out massive, high interest rate student loans (average graduate of colleges in the US has $40,000 of debt) for degrees that do not necessarily make them more marketable in the professional world (obviously, STEM degrees are valuable, as are nursing, but humanities degrees have questionable value, and I say that as someone who studied history).

But here are my thoughts. First, if a kid has tremendously high grades (top 1-3 in their class and 1500+ SAT) and can get into a super elite school, they should. It doesn't matter what you study at many of those schools, six figure jobs will be thrown at you and you'll have far better chances applying to top graduate schools. And while I frown at prestige, it does open doors and build credibility. If that's tough, which is was for me, and they want to get a 4 year degree, they should go to the one that fits their needs best for as cheaply as possible. Your son played it brilliantly. That's an ideal scenario, as would a full ride to any other top state school in SC (also, congrats to your daughter, that's a huge accomplishment).

But for those who can't go to a four year college for cheap, I think it's worth considering a trade school. South Carolina does have some great trade schools, and being a mechanic/welder/associate in nursing, etc. is a great job. I hate that our society by and large treat those as second-class fields.

Care to point out what was inaccurate? The objective metrics don't lie. You may disagree about where South Carolina's priorities should be in post-secondary education, but that doesn't go to the content of my post.
USC honors has been #1 since 2012: https://sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2020/11/11_schc_best.php “Inside Honors is the only source for an evidence-based ranking of honors colleges. It bases the comprehensive valuation on 13 key metrics, including curriculum requirements, number of honors classes offered, average class size, graduation rate and ratio of staff to students.”

Out of high school she was accepted to the USC Business school. But didn’t want to attend a “large school” like her sister.
She never even applied to Clemson. Visited Lander and said this is it.
Then at Christmas she said there was nothing to do at Lander.
Fast forward to now and she has been accepted to Clemson. I hate to tell her but Clemson is a smaller town than Greenwood. But her roommates are also going so there’s that.

Reactions: purenonsense
People can say what they want, but athletics play a MASSIVE role in college choices, especially if you are talking about colleges and universities that are pretty similar in academic success. I saw a really interesting stat the other day. In 2005, Clemson reported they had 12.4K applications. This year they just reported they had 43K. Not all of it, but a lot of that is success in football. Creates a national brand and interest. Free national marketing. People want to go to a winning place because it is happy and fun. Clemson has also done a great job of mirroring their academic/student life with the success of their football program. It almost has that "high school connection" feel to it.

Reactions: 76MACC
People can say what they want, but athletics play a MASSIVE role in college choices, especially if you are talking about colleges and universities that are pretty similar in academic success. I saw a really interesting stat the other day. In 2005, Clemson reported they had 12.4K applications. This year they just reported they had 43K. Not all of it, but a lot of that is success in football. Creates a national brand and interest. Free national marketing. People want to go to a winning place because it is happy and fun. Clemson has also done a great job of mirroring their academic/student life with the success of their football program. It almost has that "high school connection" feel to it.

This is unquestionably true. I was on campus there a couple summers ago. The growth that had taken place in the few years since I had last been there was astounding.

USC honors has been #1 since 2012: https://sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2020/11/11_schc_best.php “Inside Honors is the only source for an evidence-based ranking of honors colleges. It bases the comprehensive valuation on 13 key metrics, including curriculum requirements, number of honors classes offered, average class size, graduation rate and ratio of staff to students.”
Thank you for correcting this. The Honors College remains #1 for public institutions

Not sure where your application data comes from. Last year, CU had 29,070 applications and South Carolina had 30,778. Clempson's average SAT and ACT scores are slightly better than USC. Clempson enrolled 3,932 freshman and USC enrolled 5,848. Carolina is a bigger university with the ability to enroll more students thus their averages are slightly lower.

Now, this years higher ed data will be historically very skewed as student behavior will show major changes due to COVID that will probably "right" itself over the next few years.

One key part of this is the academic school make up of both universities. They are VERY different. Over 50% of CU's incoming freshman class was science and engineering majors. The breadth of majors offered as well as the depth of more liberal arts majors offered at Carolina will naturally shape their freshman class very differently. Also a part of this is USC's enrollment is 20% minority. Which, as a flagship public university, is extremely important.

Someone mentioned marketing....I think USC has shown dramatic improvements in marketing and recruitment of the university. I know several folks that work in USC admissions and they are considered national leaders in the field.

Also, South Carolina has 56 nationally ranked academic programs and 12 top 25 graduate programs. It has #1 program rankings for undergraduate international business, graduate international MBA, Exercise Science PhD and the #1 public college Honors College and ranked #1 for first year undergradute experience.

I do agree at the end of the day they are very different schools when students are looking for "fit". When I was at Carolina, I had lots of friends at Clempson (grew up in the upstate) and most were bored to death there. Their weekend trips to Columbia to escape the boredom were fun at first but got old after awhile.

Reactions: 1982cock
People can say what they want, but athletics play a MASSIVE role in college choices,
Smart people realize a national championship in football does not equal the best education they can get. Not that the two couldn't coincide, but it's highly unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT