ADVERTISEMENT

“Food Insecurity”

With all the programs available plus extended unemployment, food insecurity should not be an issue. About the only group I know may have food insecurity is seniors on social security. Most are not eligible for extended unemployment benefits and monthly make choices between food and medicine. That is a crime.

With all the programs available plus extended unemployment, food insecurity should not be an issue. About the only group I know may have food insecurity is seniors on social security. Most are not eligible for extended unemployment benefits and monthly make choices between food and medicine. That is a crime.
I have a sense that the demographic you mentioned aren't what people are looking at in this respect. There are some particular people I look out for.

I know people like to focus on a lot of these things and pitch them as people not wanting to work but there is a whole segment of the population who are working poor. They work 40+ hours a week and struggle to make choices between rent and food.

I was raised in a food insecure home from around middle school to high school based on no fault of my parents. Full time job and unable to provide food much beside what the schools offered.

To require students to go to school and not provide them food would be a form of torture. To punish students from participating in after school events because of lunch debt is hideous.

Like the poster above me, if you have no idea what food insecurity is or havent experienced consider yourself blessed. If you think familes are food insecure because they are lazy, consider yourself ignorant.

It seems like that would be the case, but the programs don't really come close to helping this issue. I never understood the severity of the problem until I talked to someone on the front lines about it. It's a heartbreaking issue that I still don't fully understand because I've never known anyone in that situation. But I now give to our local food bank throughout the year because I can't imagine literally not knowing where my next meal is coming from.

And someone mentioned school breakfast and lunches earlier - that's a great program. But even when the kids get fed at school, a lot of time the parents don't have enough food. It's hard to advance in life when something as basic as food is not a given.

I know people like to focus on a lot of these things and pitch them as people not wanting to work but there is a whole segment of the population who are working poor. They work 40+ hours a week and struggle to make choices between rent and food.
The cost of living is insane to what it was even just 10 years ago. You can’t rent a decent place for less than $1000 a month(at least in Columbia). I don’t know how a lot of people make it for that reason alone. I agree with you though that there are a lot of people that give their best and work full time jobs and still barely squeak by month to month. Most of them are the “essential workers” that keep places like grocery stores running

That may be referring to food deserts too. There are a lot of communities -white, black, urban, and rural that aren't near a grocery store. I think a lot of people eat at convenient stores.
More than that, the availability of fresh food is also drastic regarding certain communities ontop of the actual grocery stores available.

If you want a good look at it in Columbia look at the available grocery stores near North Main compared to that near Shandon and look at the QUALITY of those grocery stores

I was raised in a food insecure home from around middle school to high school based on no fault of my parents. Full time job and unable to provide food much beside what the schools offered.

To require students to go to school and not provide them food would be a form of torture. To punish students from participating in after school events because of lunch debt is hideous.

Like the poster above me, if you have no idea what food insecurity is or havent experienced consider yourself blessed. If you think familes are food insecure because they are lazy, consider yourself ignorant.
Well, there are some who are lazy and/or irresponsible. But Hell, they're so few I don't think it's fair to stigmatize a whole group because of it. A whole lot are minorities, and more than a few are illegal immigrants. They all deserve to eat, though. I agree. People who have never been food insecure or been involved with it are completely blessed. I donate to local food banks monthly. For a few dollars and ~$50 in groceries, it keeps a few more kids from going hungry.

Have mixed feelings about it all. Of course, I don't want anyone to go hungry. But not sure I love the idea of the government providing pretty much all of a kids food. But that's another discussion....
In many areas, the school isn't the one providing the food, but it's gathered through donations by parents of other students, PTOs, churches, etc. One organization that my church I used to attend in Charleston helped was Backpack Buddies.

That may be referring to food deserts too. There are a lot of communities -white, black, urban, and rural that aren't near a grocery store. I think a lot of people eat at convenient stores.
Broad River Road from Greystone to Kennerly is without any true grocery store. All that is there are convenience stores, a couple drug stores, Dollar General/Dollar Tree.

The demand and need at Harvest Hope and Community Assistance Bridge(CAB in Blythewood) have been overwhelming this year. If you BOGO give one to your food bank, please

If the govt really cared about the older segment of the population they would end the assinine rule that limits the amount of money one could earn as a senior collecting SS. I cant count the number of folks I know that could be doing far better than they are allowed.

If the govt really cared about the older segment of the population they would end the assinine rule that limits the amount of money one could earn as a senior collecting SS. I cant count the number of folks I know that could be doing far better than they are allowed.
Once you reach your full retirement age, you can earn as much as you would like without penalty. Below full retirement age it can be very punitive

Reactions: king ward
Once you reach your full retirement age, you can earn as much as you would like without penalty. Below full retirement age it can be very punitive
It's more forgiving than it used to be. There was a time when people had to reach 70 years of age in order to earn unlimited income without penalty.

Some people have mentioned places where folks cant get certain foods. I see people all the time selling tomatoes, watermelons, melons, corn, etc on the side of the road. I make the short drive over to Asheville to go to the farmer's market just for the heck of it. I can get all the fruits and veggies I need for our local fruit stands.

Plus, our grandparents taught us how to plant items and make them grow to include edibles...

I think the plan is to keep raising the full retirement age until its punitive across the board.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Well, there are some who are lazy and/or irresponsible. But Hell, they're so few I don't think it's fair to stigmatize a whole group because of it. A whole lot are minorities, and more than a few are illegal immigrants. They all deserve to eat, though. I agree. People who have never been food insecure or been involved with it are completely blessed. I donate to local food banks monthly. For a few dollars and ~$50 in groceries, it keeps a few more kids from going hungry.
I use the term "deserve" very advisedly. Seriously. In any case, I want children and the truly helpless to eat.

Reactions: SCexpat38
I may be one of the few that believes all students should be fed breakfast and lunch free of charge. It's a law for kids to go to school and we should feed them and bus them. If there are those that need extra (and from my school teacher friends i've heard this) most teachers pack a small supper and a weekend pack of items. I'm ok with that. We are the richest country in the history of the world.

One of Trump's plans that I thought was super smart was to cut out food stamps. Everyone who gets food stamps would get a box of fresh fruits, vegetable, grains, milk, etc. The money would go to the farmer's. It has been said that some farmers let food rot due to not being able to sell it.
If this had passed, it would have been win/win for people needing food assistance, and farmer's needing their products to be purchased. Then government would then not have to subsidize farmer's letting food rot.

Reactions: SCexpat38
Food insecurity means families don't know where or when their next meal is coming. Always donate to your local foodbanks when you get the chance.
So, formerly known as “poor” or “hungry”… ?

Some people have mentioned places where folks cant get certain foods. I see people all the time selling tomatoes, watermelons, melons, corn, etc on the side of the road. I make the short drive over to Asheville to go to the farmer's market just for the heck of it. I can get all the fruits and veggies I need for our local fruit stands.

Plus, our grandparents taught us how to plant items and make them grow to include edibles...
They usually sell those produce not in the areas of food deserts and I would imagine a lot of the people that are food insecure don’t have sprawling land to grow food

Reactions: Gamekem
I may be one of the few that believes all students should be fed breakfast and lunch free of charge. It's a law for kids to go to school and we should feed them and bus them. If there are those that need extra (and from my school teacher friends i've heard this) most teachers pack a small supper and a weekend pack of items. I'm ok with that. We are the richest country in the history of the world.

One of Trump's plans that I thought was super smart was to cut out food stamps. Everyone who gets food stamps would get a box of fresh fruits, vegetable, grains, milk, etc. The money would go to the farmer's. It has been said that some farmers let food rot due to not being able to sell it.
If this had passed, it would have been win/win for people needing food assistance, and farmer's needing their products to be purchased. Then government would then not have to subsidize farmer's letting food rot.
Theoretically that farmer to poor pipeline would make sense but with the fragility and mobility issues of produce and the poor respectively would cause issues

it would need a prettt large infrastructure of mobile units, nutritionist (allergies, calorie and protein allotment and such), processors, packaging and preserving, scheduling, delivering, storage.

a lot of infrastructure that already exists in super markets who throw away around 40% of their produce anyways.

a lot of food in food pantries come from nearly expired food that grocery stores throw away.

the modern super market system is incredibly wasteful and reimagining that alone could eliminate a lot of hunger issues

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I think you're missing a key part in that you're able to drive and have the funds to drive to these locations. Many of these people don't have this luxury to drive and if you're renting you're less likely to have the option to actually grow a decent garden as well. In many cases these food deserts may consist of a gas station as the only option for food and the food served there is not exactly fresh, healthy or reasonably cost.

In what regard is it a "system" and whom do you see "reimagining" any aspect of their operations?
Waste for one..... food simply tossed out because it doesn’t look pretty or impending expiration dates.
Great difficulties in not allowing hunters to donate processed game

Bargain Foods in Pelzer (Greenville county side of the Saluda River) sells out of date and “distressed” (damaged boxes). I shop there.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
Waste for one..... food simply tossed out because it doesn’t look pretty or impending expiration dates.
Great difficulties in not allowing hunters to donate processed game
I was asking two specific questions of the gentleman. He had already made reference to the wastefulness of a supposed system. I don't see a system. I am interested in his addressing whom he thinks should coordinate reform of this "system".

Reactions: GamecockAppraiser
I think you're missing a key part in that you're able to drive and have the funds to drive to these locations. Many of these people don't have this luxury to drive and if you're renting you're less likely to have the option to actually grow a decent garden as well. In many cases these food deserts may consist of a gas station as the only option for food and the food served there is not exactly fresh, healthy or reasonably cost.
I guess life is about choices...I own rental properties, and if someone wants to grow some veggies, as long as they keep the grounds clean, more power to them...I was in line at a roadrunner market in Johnson City a couple of years ago...a girl ahead of me bought peanut butter cups, mountain dew and I believe jerky and pulled out her ebt card and bought this crap...I would have gone off if the cashier let her buy cigarettes with that card. She did get some but paid with cash...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT