ADVERTISEMENT

All of you that predicted 3 or 4 wins....

Happy to be at 6 wins, but I am not gloating about it. The performance against the weakest Clemson team in a decade was abysmal and does not make me feel warm and fuzzy. We are a 6-6 team that looks like a 3-9 team and probably should be a 3-9 team.

Clemson isn't weak on defense, just on offense and no one is talking about the first drive when we had them at 3rd and 15 and they ended up getting a first down towards an easy TD...

Which was alot of you....why are you all so mad now?

Because with a serviceable offense we'd have won 7-8 games. UK shut us out in the first half and won 16-10. Missouri would have been a win. Our offense barely averaged 20 points per game this season (21-22 if you include DEFENSIVE TDs). The team overperformed, but it was mostly our rebuilt DEFENSE that kept us in games. I'm happy with how we played for the most part. However, it's unrealistic to be okay with the offensive product that was displayed this season -- especially after the big game Satterfield (who was fired from Tennessee Tech for failing to produce a serviceable product) talked.

It's become clear that Marcus Satterfield's offense will cost us games and top offensive recruits don't want to play for him. Fans are mad because they don't want to watch an anemic offense coached by him either.

Not true...i can go back and pull up numerous post about pre season predictions....most were 3-4 wins what did all you football prophets think then?

Reactions: USC2USC
I predicted 6 wins. We got to 6 wins. I’m moderately happy. And I’m glad the season is extended for a bowl. That said, I sure didn’t predict the correct path to our 6 wins. And even though we got there, I am concerned about the OC and OL coaches. And the need of a QB and OL upgrade is critical to future success. I like Beamer. But is he ready and willing to make some tough decisions? Go Cocks!

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
Not true...i can go back and pull up numerous post about pre season predictions....most were 3-4 wins what did all you football prophets think then?

Here you go. I don't think it was most.

Clemson averages giving up 308 yards per game. We gained a total of 206 yards last night on OUR home field, not even in the ball park of what they usually give up. Some of us realize we have major problems on the offensive side of the ball, that will hopefully soon be addressed. By the way, I predicted 4-5 wins. So, we are around where I thought we'd be, thanks primarily to the defense.

Their Offense started coming around at the end of the season. All of the RB’s we’re healthy, their OL opened enough holes to give them running room.

That burned clock, kept the defense fresh, and they were able to shut us down.

That doesn’t excuse why we weren’t running slants and over the middle stuff to keep their LB’s back on their heels.

Happy to be at 6 wins, but I am not gloating about it. The performance against the weakest Clemson team in a decade was abysmal and does not make me feel warm and fuzzy. We are a 6-6 team that looks like a 3-9 team and probably should be a 3-9 team.
Maybe Tanner should call the three schools and give the wins back. I'm not gloating either, but it feels like nothing will please some fans.

Reactions: WingchunCock
How old are you? I predicted 4 wins and am not mad and to be honest most on here that predicted more wins didn't predict wins over Fla. and Auburn. The Clemson game should give you some perspective about where we are as a program. Granted, give Beamer credit, six wins this year was an achievement. But there were some predicting more than 6.

Their Offense started coming around at the end of the season. All of the RB’s we’re healthy, their OL opened enough holes to give them running room.

That burned clock, kept the defense fresh, and they were able to shut us down.

That doesn’t excuse why we weren’t running slants and over the middle stuff to keep their LB’s back on their heels.

Clemson's offense could have won the game by simply kicking a field goal after the interception early. We scored 0 points. I think time of possession was roughly 50/50 in the first quarter. I'm not sure about for the half, but our offense has burnt a lot of clock going backwards this season.

How old are you? I predicted 4 wins and am not mad and to be honest most on here that predicted more wins didn't predict wins over Fla. and Auburn. The Clemson game should give you some perspective about where we are as a program. Granted, give Beamer credit, six wins this year was an achievement. But there were some predicting more than 6.

Take out Defensive TDs and we averaged 19 PPG from our offense. That's not including the number of turnovers we had that put us in gimme range. Satterfield's offense sustained very few actual drives resulting in points this season, and if it weren't for our defense we'd have been blown out of a few games (including those we lost). Defense and the team improved overall and the offense fought the entire way, but they weren't put in position to showcase their talents. A good coach takes his and beats you with yours or takes yours and beats you with his; he doesn't shift the blame onto the QB or others constantly. When you're driving the boat, don't blame the passengers when it crashes.

Defense held teams to under 300 ypg and 24 ppg this season. That's good enough to win and put your team in position to win week in and out. Defense was one of the top scoring defenses in the nation and did great on takeaways.

(Actually noticed CCU was #1 in the nation in turnover margin. That could explain some of their success recently.)

Reactions: AltoonaSteve
I'm not sure it's fair to ask people to assess the relative success of the season right now. Am I glad we finished 6-6 when most analyst had us penciled for 4 wins? Sure. Did I see some positives that gives me confidence in Beamer's coaching philosophy? Sure. But if you are expecting people to pop the champagne celebrating this season the day after getting beaten 30-0 by our rivals, you're barking up the wrong tree. We will need some time to absorb this.

Anyone that predicted more than 6 wins was foolish. look at the talent level and the schedule.

Anyone that predicted more than 6 wins was foolish. look at the talent level and the schedule.
The talent level is fine. We legitimately had a chance to win 7 or 8 this season, based on how we finished. Clayton White made something out of nothing and that unit kept us in games.

Maybe Tanner should call the three schools and give the wins back. I'm not gloating either, but it feels like nothing will please some fans.
I will say what I have always said. 6 wins is great. It exceeded pre-season expectations. The problem is that we just never had any identity on offense and didn't ever look like a well-coached, disciplined team.

Hell, I had a grand bet we wouldn't win more than 4. We squeaked by on 3 of the slugs we played, we caught UF in flux and actually played good, how the hell we actually won against Auburn, I can't explain. We go against a down ACC team in Clemson and get boatraced. Don't get cocky. We still suck. We need a real OC, Oline coach, receivers coach. But most of all, we need Jimmies and Joes. Beamer is a great chearleader. Reminds me of Dabo in hid first couple of years. But he got smart and hired ringers. Then they kicked ass. Beamer needs to do the same thing. Get some ringers and send that bunch of losers on down the road. JMO

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I predicted 5 max. We did better. I'm happy about that. However, what I am disappointed in (not mad about) is that it appears we left 2 wins on the field...UK and Mizzou and that those loses seem to be on the coaches.

Reactions: sdwexler
Because with a serviceable offense we'd have won 7-8 games. UK shut us out in the first half and won 16-10. Missouri would have been a win. Our offense barely averaged 20 points per game this season (21-22 if you include DEFENSIVE TDs). The team overperformed, but it was mostly our rebuilt DEFENSE that kept us in games. I'm happy with how we played for the most part. However, it's unrealistic to be okay with the offensive product that was displayed this season -- especially after the big game Satterfield (who was fired from Tennessee Tech for failing to produce a serviceable product) talked.

It's become clear that Marcus Satterfield's offense will cost us games and top offensive recruits don't want to play for him. Fans are mad because they don't want to watch an anemic offense coached by him either.
I really don't know why folks keep pointing to the UK game as outrageous that we lost. They finished 9-3 and have the 4th best SEC record behind UGA, Bama and Ole Miss. They are clearly better than us this year so maybe the only thing that truly is surprising about that game in retrospect is that we kept it that close. Would like to see them play Clempson in a bowl.

no...us Gamecock fans are happy to win each and every game we were able to. But....most years in the SEC you don't have a situation AT Florida like they had this year to rely on, and you don't get a first year SEC HC with 3 key offensive/point producing starters out (Auburn) to rely on either.
I take those wins no matter the circumstances because injuries and other sh#t happens to USC just like it happens elsewhere. I hope nobody in our program is expecting to see this on a recurring basis. We have to get good, and not rely on the ineptitude of others....especially in the murderer's row conference we play in.

For the most part it still looked like a 3 win team, if it wasn't for alot of teams going full retard in game. ECU and Vandy all but had it wrapped up. ECU decided to throw the pick 6 before the half instead of run and take the 3 to go up 17-0, then Vandy decided to go Prevent late and give Noland forever to throw. Alot of freebies gave a 3 win team 6 wins. AU was a cluster too

I didn't predict anything (that I can recall), but I expected 4 as the floor with Eastern Ill, ECU, Troy, and Vandy. I expected Georgia, A&M, Florida, Auburn, and Clemson to be losses. I expected we'd win 1 or 2 out of Tenn, Kentucky, and Missouri. So our record is kinda where I thought we would end up, but it definitely didn't play out as I expected it to. Happy that we got to 6 wins and bowl eligibility.

Defense was better than I expected, offense was worse than I expected.

We look bad wining. We look bad losing. We just look like a bad football team. Only win worth anything was the Auburn win. So one quality win.

I don't applaud mediocrity. And saying we are mediocre is a stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT