ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone seen the A&M NIL rumors?

uscnoklahoma2

Apr 16, 2017
Rumors of a concerted 25 million booster effort to land the #1 class. If true thats just insane.

Just saw this was on the insiders board. I saw it on Oklahoma's.

This is why market rate enforcement is the only way to keep the sport clean with NIL.
It’s impossible to establish that market because you have no idea what a X player signature is worth. Market is what someone is willing to pay for it. Boosters will dictate the market and it will just get Higher and higher.

What I mean is if 15 university’s boosters decide a qb should get .5 million then that’s the bar. If 15 others decide it’s a million well they just increased the market. Then boosters from group A up theirs to beat group B.

It’s impossible to establish that market because you have no idea what a X player signature is worth. Market is what someone is willing to pay for it. Boosters will dictate the market and it will just get Higher and higher.

What I mean is if 15 university’s boosters decide a qb should get .5 million then that’s the bar. If 15 others decide it’s a million well they just increased the market. Then boosters from group A up theirs to beat group B.
No, there is a way and that's name recognition and it's how people determine the worth of influencers and minor celebrities, it's largely based on social media and there are resources that track this stuff because it's already an industry.

Edit: and value being decided by the boosters is exactly the problem because that's pay for play and not NIL, you own your name image and likeness and can be compensated for endorsements, interviews, autographs and the like, you exchange your ability to profit from football for a free education worth a quarter mil. Just because you sign away the right to earn for football doesn't mean the public profile you gain isn't yours, if you have a half a million Twitter followers people know and care who you are and you shish be stopped from advertising for a chicken joint, that's what the court rulings are.

Last edited:
No, there is a way and that's name recognition and it's how people determine the worth of influencers and minor celebrities, it's largely based on social media and there are resources that track this stuff because it's already an industry.

Edit: and value being decided by the boosters is exactly the problem because that's pay for play and not NIL, you own your name image and likeness and can be compensated for endorsements, interviews, autographs and the like, you exchange your ability to profit from football for a free education worth a quarter mil. Just because you sign away the right to earn for football doesn't mean the public profile you gain isn't yours, if you have a half a million Twitter followers people know and care who you are and you shish be stopped from advertising for a chicken joint, that's what the court rulings are.
Pay for play is the organization paying the employee to do a job. As long as the university is not paying the players to play, it can’t be play for play. I’m not really sure why people can’t seem to understand this.

I hate to tell you but it would be almost impossible for the ncaa to defend itself against a lawsuit if they put money stipulations on NIL. Especially with the SCOTUS ruling.

You do realize that the case the NCAA lost was an anti-trust law dealing specifically with price fixing. Setting NIL limits would defiantly fall under that same category. Any limit on NIL will have to come from Congress. A issue that I think SHOULD BE way down their list of give a darns.

Last edited:
Pay for play is the organization paying the employee to do a job. As long as the university is not paying the players to play, it can’t be play for play. I’m not really sure why people can’t seem to understand this.

I hate to tell you but it would be almost impossible for the ncaa to defend itself against a lawsuit if they put money stipulations on NIL. Especially with the SCOTUS ruling.
It sure as hell was considered pay for play when a bunch of klansmen with no official association with clemson, except as boosters, paid their players. You're supposed to be paid for a product and several schools like Miami and BYU are already under investigation for NIL violations and TAMU is rumored to be as well. If you're not paid for a product and you know you'll get a huge sum just by picking the school it's definitely pay for play, the only questions about NIL is what beneath that runs afoul if the spirit and intent is the rulings and regulations. Oh, and Built isn't a property of BYU.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
There are myriad markets at work here. A market of recruits, or untested talent, a market of star college players, and a market of unused or sidelined talent.

I thought the star market would take care of itself until the other Okl qb went into the portal and created an obvious bidding market this weekend. Now, individual investors and consortiums have to compete in all three with no reasonable guarantee of production from the recruit and unused player markets. (Lack of production will eventually hurt marketing value. ) But....I'm not talking about marketers, I'm talking about folks putting money toward players for on the field production. They will dress it up, but it will still be pay for play

The most interesting question is will NIL investments siphon off booster club money?

Remember how Carolina people used to brag about all the money they presumed we had at our disposal - all our high rollers? I heard that blather for decades. How pathetic those people turned out to be. We were nothing then and we are nothing now if money is the criterion.

There are myriad markets at work here. A market of recruits, or untested talent, a market of star college players, and a market of unused or sidelined talent.

I thought the star market would take care of itself until the other Okl qb went into the portal and created an obvious bidding market this weekend. Now, individual investors and consortiums have to compete in all three with no reasonable guarantee of production from the recruit and unused player markets. (Lack of production will eventually hurt marketing value. ) But....I'm not talking about marketers, I'm talking about folks putting money toward players for on the field production. They will dress it up, but it will still be pay for play

The most interesting question is will NIL investments siphon off booster club money?
In a way it won’t matter because the arms race that college football has been for the last 3 decades will be less about facilities like it use to be.

Rumors of a concerted 25 million booster effort to land the #1 class. If true thats just insane.

Just saw this was on the insiders board. I saw it on Oklahoma's.
South Carolina needs to start prospecting. Sometimes it feels like we have the poorest alumni of any SEC schools.

Reactions: jonesz21
South Carolina needs to start prospecting. Sometimes it feels like we have the poorest alumni of any SEC schools.
We may. And the few really wealthy we had McNair and Moore cared more about improving the University's academics and giving to that, than to its athletics. It's what happens when your state chooses not to support colleges and universities to any great extent.

We may. And the few really wealthy we had McNair and Moore cared more about improving the University's academics and giving to that, than to its athletics. It's what happens when your state chooses not to support colleges and universities to any great extent.

Or education at all. SC has even fallen behind Mississippi now.

Reactions: rogue cock
The rankings I just looked up says we're 43rd on public education on wallethub, that's too from the 49th ranking we had during the entirety of my primary education.
If our fan base would go and contribute to garnet trust it would be a big help. If 60,000 people gave just 25.00 a month that would be 18 million dollars a year.

Oh No! The players might get paid almost as much as the coaches!!!

Soon players will strike to get even more money. Players will sue because the volleyball team didn’t get a deal like the Fb team First thing the ncaa should change is if you transfer you sit out a year.

No reason to leave early for the NFL and have a chance of not making the roster if you are making reliable and significant money in college. Better for the players.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
If our fan base would go and contribute to garnet trust it would be a big help. If 60,000 people gave just 25.00 a month that would be 18 million dollars a year.
Sure, but that money would be divided up amongst the various sports. While that is a good thing, I'm not sure it is what many boosters want. If you want to land the number 1 football recruiting class, you don't send $$ to the equestrian team or to women's tennis. "Donors" will now be able to direct their funding to the athlete(s) of their choice, which could really work against Title IX objectives. There may be some WBB boosters at Carolina that will take care of those athletes, but you have to wonder if the rest will do nearly as well under the new reality.

Remember how Carolina people used to brag about all the money they presumed we had at our disposal - all our high rollers? I heard that blather for decades. How pathetic those people turned out to be. We were nothing then and we are nothing now if money is the criterion.
Agree. SC is a very poor state comparatively speaking. We have few people with money, some with big money, but there are others out there with far more value than can be found in this state.

Sure, but that money would be divided up amongst the various sports. While that is a good thing, I'm not sure it is what many boosters want. If you want to land the number 1 football recruiting class, you don't send $$ to the equestrian team or to women's tennis. "Donors" will now be able to direct their funding to the athlete(s) of their choice, which could really work against Title IX objectives. There may be some WBB boosters at Carolina that will take care of those athletes, but you have to wonder if the rest will do nearly as well under the new reality.

It will work against tilte 9 and I don’t see that as a bad thing. I would love not to have to see my money go to other places and focus solely on footbal maybe baseball to.

Seems like we just need to goto a college football draft with a college football players association. The only problem is there are so many more college teams where the NFL only has 32.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT