ADVERTISEMENT

Best South Carolina high school football state championship game you remember.

Antoine Nesbit carried the load, right? His team nickname at USC was “Walterboro.”
Nesmith? Remember Hartsville beat Easley to make it to State Championship game. Stopped them on the goal line on the last play of the game. Wasn’t Albert Haynesworth on that Hartsville team?

Easley beats Lower Richland 7-6 in 1971 State Championship game played at Spring Valley stadium.

Stanley Morgan scores only touchdown for Easley on a broken play and when LR scores late he knocks down LR's two point pass attempt. Why Mooney Player went for two in regulation I'll never understand.

I know the question is about football, but I have to say the end of the Spartanburg/Summerville 2008 basketball game was one of the craziest endings to a championship game I've ever seen at any level.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Nesmith? Remember Hartsville beat Easley to make it to State Championship game. Stopped them on the goal line on the last play of the game. Wasn’t Albert Haynesworth on that Hartsville team?

Antione Nesmith was a senior and the guy at RB, and the now infamous Keith "Yusef" Kelly was his backup.

I'm honestly surprised no one brought up Byrnes yet. Had a dynasty going there in the mid 2000s.

1980 was the year. We beat Summerville at Irmo 23-0. Games were played at the higher seed back then. We had Rodney Williams, Chris Corley, and Percy Reeves. Our whole OL played in college, including Del Wilkes. We ended a 72 game win streak for The Wave. The biggest break we had was Perry Cuda graduating the year before. He killed us in 78’ and 79’! He went to Bama and played for Bear Bryant. Injuries killed his career.
I was in 6th grade and the guys and girls were all kissing….that’s a great memory!
Rodney Williams with Irmo was a monster and beat Greenwood in the upstate finals both years to go to the State Championship games. That guy was a monster.

Reactions: jweaks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT