ADVERTISEMENT

Bobo OUT at Auburn per DC

I would say Bell was a new entity but either way it goes against the narrative that there were less guys to make plays this year than last. If anything last year should have been harder with an all SEC schedule and a 2 man show yet we managed to get worse with 4 easy OOC opponents and significantly more guys making plays.
Fair enough. I think it's a little of both. IMO, they were trying to modernize the offense (Iong term development) and had some good schemes/plans but also had times where Satterfield appeared to crap his pants as a play caller. I'd love to have a one-on-one to ask questions.

I'm 100% not a zero sum person like a lot of people on here (not that you are) so I'm not willing to make sweeping generalization that it's all Satterfield's fault. Even though I think there's less talent than other believe and there were times where the calls looked excellent, is still feels like something is off. So, there probably needs to be some chemistry change needed.

Regardless, nice to have a real discussion.

Fair enough. I think it's a little of both. IMO, they were trying to modernize the offense (Iong term development) and had some good schemes/plans but also had times where Satterfield appeared to crap his pants as a play caller. I'd love to have a one-on-one to ask questions.

I'm 100% not a zero sum person like a lot of people on here (not that you are) so I'm not willing to make sweeping generalization that it's all Satterfield's fault. Even though I think there's less talent than other believe and there were times where the calls looked excellent, is still feels like something is off. So, there probably needs to be some chemistry change needed.

Lord have mercy don't be reasonable here... I don't think It will go over well. If we don't win a national championship every year it's definitely the coach's fault, Well that and it's Ray Tanner's fault, and it's the governor's fault, and it's God's fault... Let's completely ignore the fact that on any given Saturday in the fall exactly 50% of the teams playing a football game lose it and every single team is trying their hardest to not be the one that loses.

I do think that some issues are bound to come when you have guys trying to learn a new system every year. I also don’t doubt from all the years working with Rhule that Satterfield knows the playbook inside and out. That said just knowing the play designs doesn’t mean that you know when or why they would work.

I do have two areas of concern with Satterfield that became obvious as the season went along:

1) Personnel decisions seemed odd. How do we go games without seeing White while he was leading the team in rushing? If Harris wasn’t healthy why keep running him out there as a number 1 until he’s ready to carry that load? When Brooks disappeared why were we hung up on while spot a guy is designated for? Shouldn’t your key be getting the best players on the field?
2) Play calling. I get that it is a new system but you need to understand what your guys are capable of doing. If you are trying to install a complex system and the guys are struggling then simplify things until they can execute. Don’t put people in a position to fail just because you want something to work.

In the end though nothing in Satterfield’s history says he can be successful. He went from OC/QB coach to OC/RB coach to failed head coach to TE coach to assistant oline coach. He’s been on a pretty steady decline in his career path which isn’t typical for a guy who can turn things around and create success.

Reactions: chief2791
I think I know what you're saying. I think. But we ran the ball better last year than this year with a fair number of the same people. That was the extent of my focus.

Our best lineman last year graduated. We have struggled to fill his shoes.

Most people would prefer this years situation. There were far more options for playmakers available just a question of how they were used.

That's insane. Last year, Bobo had..

all our big playmakers for this year...
plus Shi Smith
plus a healthy Harris
plus his own QB that knew his system and had been it in for several years
plus one 4 star QB with a year of experience

There is ABSOLUTELY NO comparison. Not even close. You just want Satterfield gone, and that's fine, but there isn't an OC out there what would want to deal with what happened to us at QB this year. Not one.

plus Shi Smith
plus a healthy Harris

There is ABSOLUTELY NO comparison. Not even close. You just want Satterfield gone, and that's fine, but there isn't an OC out there what would want to deal with what happened to us at QB this year. Not one.
We had a really good Left Gaurd last year too. We saw a dropoff at that position. Lee has a lot of upside though. Needs to get stronger.

plus Shi Smith
plus a healthy Harris

Bobo didn’t use Hilinski, White or Bell and he didn’t have Lloyd or McDowell in the backfield. Yes he had Smith but Vann had 88 yards last year before matching Smith’s output in yardage with two additional TDs. Bell, Muse, Brooks and Jenkins all produced when given opportunity which have the offense a lot more guys they could count on from last year.

It’s okay to acknowledge that Satterfield was a bad hire and this last season is simply a continuation of the drop off in his career. It doesn’t hurt Beamer to have made a bad hire in his first staff. It’s to be expected but what will hurt is refusing to acknowledge a mistake and then moving in.

Bobo didn’t use Hilinski, White or Bell and he didn’t have Lloyd or McDowell in the backfield. Yes he had Smith but Vann had 88 yards last year before matching Smith’s output in yardage with two additional TDs. Bell, Muse, Brooks and Jenkins all produced when given opportunity which have the offense a lot more guys they could count on from last year.

It’s okay to acknowledge that Satterfield was a bad hire and this last season is simply a continuation of the drop off in his career. It doesn’t hurt Beamer to have made a bad hire in his first staff. It’s to be expected but what will hurt is refusing to acknowledge a mistake and then moving in.

Bobo's worst case scenario at QB was better than Satterfield's best case scenario, and that's THE MOST IMPORTANT player on the offense. Period.

No OC in America would rather work with grad assistants and FCS zero star recruits over bringing in their own QB that they had used for several years in their system. Ridiculous to even suggest.

And you can argue weapons all you want, but the biggest contributors this year were also on Bobo's team like year, and healthier. Plus Smith.

We won several more games than expected and became bowl eligible when nobody thought it would happen. I would be shocked if Beamer canned anybody considering the shitshow they inherited. The only scenario I see Satterfield getting fired in would be if Beamer could land some big name OC, and the likelyhood of that this year, or really any year, is VERY low.

...The only scenario I see Satterfield getting fired in would be if Beamer could land some big name OC, and the likelyhood of that this year, or really any year, is VERY low.
Oh, no, he'll be taking this entire staff with him to Norman, Oklahoma - other that whichever one Ray gives the head coaching job to.

Reactions: Robhawk29
I do think that some issues are bound to come when you have guys trying to learn a new system every year. I also don’t doubt from all the years working with Rhule that Satterfield knows the playbook inside and out. That said just knowing the play designs doesn’t mean that you know when or why they would work.

I do have two areas of concern with Satterfield that became obvious as the season went along:

1) Personnel decisions seemed odd. How do we go games without seeing White while he was leading the team in rushing? If Harris wasn’t healthy why keep running him out there as a number 1 until he’s ready to carry that load? When Brooks disappeared why were we hung up on while spot a guy is designated for? Shouldn’t your key be getting the best players on the field?
2) Play calling. I get that it is a new system but you need to understand what your guys are capable of doing. If you are trying to install a complex system and the guys are struggling then simplify things until they can execute. Don’t put people in a position to fail just because you want something to work.

In the end though nothing in Satterfield’s history says he can be successful. He went from OC/QB coach to OC/RB coach to failed head coach to TE coach to assistant oline coach. He’s been on a pretty steady decline in his career path which isn’t typical for a guy who can turn things around and create success.
Good Points:

1. I know all of the RBs were injured at one point. It was an obscure reference made during the middle of the season during a press conference. Was it coachspeak? Was it hurt v. injured? Was he covering? Regardless, he said he wanted to go with 2 RBs during the preseason and there was still way too much RB rotation. You can't worry about transfers. Play your best two and the other two can sit and wait for injury/graduation/inconsistency or play another position (slot?).

2. I agree with you. I understand the thought process in a long run to see who can and cannot run the offense and let the numbers work out. As long as you don't lost the team, I can understand it. However, it's hard for the fans to see and I'm not sure this point is accurate. They'll never tell us.

3. After the failed head coach stint, I can understand just taking a job with someone you are comfortable with and then the Asst OL coach is an NFL job so I don't really see that as a failure. I know people having been running around with his yardage numbers at Temple but if you looked deep into the stats and found some offensive efficiency stats, I think you'll see his yards per play were pretty good and they did a lot of taking the air out of the ball when they were up (a Ruhle thing) so the yardage stat isn't very useful unless you don't like the system as a whole, which is a fair argument.

4. I also don't know about his as someone "who can turn things around and create success." He seem like he knows what he's doing plan/scheme-wise but his personality doesn't seem to mesh with the other offensive coaches other than the OL. I also think he panicked during the East Carolina and Missouri games and there was something off during the Clemson game -- Brown would not throw any of the crossing routes (maybe he can't see linebacker if teams constantly zone blitz) and Noland would only throw to Vann (they didn't start moving until they sat Vann and Noland had no choice to throw it elsewhere). In the run game, no stretch plays, no jet sweeps, no wildcat. I don't know if any of these would work but you can build off of it or at least give the defense something to worry about sideline-to-sideline. I'm glad they practiced the White RB throw all week but that was a one-time shot and wasn't very convincing (ran it twice this year and one was almost a game-changing fumble).

In the end, was Satterfield coming here a favor? A transition? A gamble? I have no idea. The Bobo debacle really messed some stuff up. For whatever reason, I just got the feeling here was here for a one-year gig before someone else opened up and he would go back to the NFL after the season. We'll see.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Bobo's worst case scenario at QB was better than Satterfield's best case scenario, and that's THE MOST IMPORTANT player on the offense. Period.

No OC in America would rather work with grad assistants and FCS zero star recruits over bringing in their own QB that they had used for several years in their system. Ridiculous to even suggest.

And you can argue weapons all you want, but the biggest contributors this year were also on Bobo's team like year, and healthier. Plus Smith.

We won several more games than expected and became bowl eligible when nobody thought it would happen. I would be shocked if Beamer canned anybody considering the shitshow they inherited. The only scenario I see Satterfield getting fired in would be if Beamer could land some big name OC, and the likelyhood of that this year, or really any year, is VERY low.
Just keep living in Fantasyland ignoring the 6 years of demotions and failures that led him here thinking it’s going to be all better. I’m sure you thought Roper just need one more class as well.

Just keep living in Fantasyland ignoring the 6 years of demotions and failures that led him here thinking it’s going to be all better. I’m sure you thought Roper just need one more class as well.

And I hated to Roper hire from the start, but I didn't sit around and cry about it constantly. He had his chance and didn't perform and we moved on. Satterfield should and will be held to the same standard, but not one year after inheriting a dumpster fire that ended up bowl eligible. I may be wrong, but I see zero chance of that happening. And it shouldn't.

And the situation with Roper is in no way comparable. Life isn't a Disney movie. Nothing was turning this offense around in one year, even without the injuries. There is a reason Vegas had us at 3.5 wins. And those folks speak with their money, not talking out of the ass on a message board like some of the delusional folks here that expected anything better than we got this season.

And I hated to Roper hire from the start, but I didn't sit around and cry about it constantly. He had his chance and didn't perform and we moved on. Satterfield should and will be held to the same standard, but not one year after inheriting a dumpster fire that ended up bowl eligible. I may be wrong, but I see zero chance of that happening. And it shouldn't.

And the situation with Roper is in no way comparable. Life isn't a Disney movie. Nothing was turning this offense around in one year, even without the injuries. There is a reason Vegas had us at 3.5 wins. And those folks speak with their money, not talking out of the ass on a message board like some of the delusional folks here that expected anything better than we got this season.
Weird how the offense has two guys leave and somehow ends up 116 out of 130 but the defense has almost half of the starting lineup leave and they end up 44.

Reactions: Robhawk29
Not usually giddy about a guy losing his job, but Bobo earned it. After the bush league stunt he pulled, it was so sweet to beat him. This is just the icing on the cake. As a previous poster said, he’d likely still be employed at an SEC program had he stayed here. Now he’ll be lucky to get an analyst job in the conference.

Reactions: WingchunCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT