ADVERTISEMENT

Boy, we should have went with a baseball coach that had experience as

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
head coach. It makes me sick to think where our program is right now. I tried to watch some of the CWS but just had to change the station because I feel like we should have been competing on the highest level as one of the top programs in the nation.

I think we could have had our pick of head coaches. And if Holbrook turns out not to be the disaster that he appears to be, I'll be the first to come onto this board and eat crow. I really hope I have to do that but I don't believe that is going to be the case.

The thing that bugs me is there has never been anyone that has done more for Carolina baseball than Ray Tanner and Chad is his hand picked replacement, do we just slough that off and say Ray doesn't know what he's doing, I don't think so! Let's see what happens next year and then discuss, nobody goes to the CWS every year!

head coach. It makes me sick to think where our program is right now. I tried to watch some of the CWS but just had to change the station because I feel like we should have been competing on the highest level as one of the top programs in the nation.

I think we could have had our pick of head coaches. And if Holbrook turns out not to be the disaster that he appears to be, I'll be the first to come onto this board and eat crow. I really hope I have to do that but I don't believe that is going to be the case.
Ya think Freddy? Been saying it for three years and get called out by all the bozos. The facts are what they are the first three years. We had stud head coaches wanting this job and we turned out backon all of them. Hope Hollybrook gets it together next year or it's a bad thing for him and Tanner.

Check & see how many CWS coaches have ever been a head coach anywhere

Check & see how many CWS coaches have ever been a head coach anywhere else.

Well, I don't know the answer to that. But, we could have had our pick of current head coaches is the point I'm making. But, I can say all assistant coaches do not make great head coaches. Example Brad Snot and Ellis Johnson ring a bell? I realize they are coaches in different sports but still, it was a bad experiment with both. Also, Ray Tanner was a very good head coach before he got here.

Who would rather have, Corbin or Hollbrook? It's an easy answer but we know some on here would Never say Corbin because he was at ClemTech! Interesting that Sully and Corbin are back at the CWS.

Also add Cal State Fullerton and Virginia as first time head coaches. It's not always about hiring a head coach with previous experience. Half of the CWS teams have first time head coaches. Reading their bio's, Holbrook had just as good or better resume.

The thing that bugs me is there has never been anyone that has done more for Carolina baseball than Ray Tanner and Chad is his hand picked replacement, do we just slough that off and say Ray doesn't know what he's doing, I don't think so! Let's see what happens next year and then discuss, nobody goes to the CWS every year!

At the time, no one could beat Tanner and it would be hard for him to find someone who could be that coach...

Inside sources told me that Tanner was looking to hire Jacklegg, but he was out getting ice cream...

Last edited:
Duh....Holbrook has 2 years experience as a head coach.....lol. Hey, we are just going to have to sit back and see what next season will bring. It's done...it's over....move on....If he wins next year all will be right.

We had coaches who have won the CWS wanting this job? Please tell us who they are. Thanks!

You know Holbrook went to 5 CWS in a row....2 at UNC and 3 here. I think he knows how to get there and what players he needs. If there is a learning curve to being a head coach then I think it has already come with the first three years. I would think this last season made them change the things they have done in the past. They were skating along on a Super, and a regional. Things really started to go south against Maryland in the regional and continued through this season. It had to be a wake up call and a realization that the program was slipping. I think they know it too. These guys want to win...their careers depend on it. I would expect a much improved team this year or it might be a swan song for some on this staff, if not the whole staff. I will just start worrying about that next season.

You know Holbrook went to 5 CWS in a row....2 at UNC and 3 here. I think he knows how to get there and what players he needs. If there is a learning curve to being a head coach then I think it has already come with the first three years. I would think this last season made them change the things they have done in the past. They were skating along on a Super, and a regional. Things really started to go south against Maryland in the regional and continued through this season. It had to be a wake up call and a realization that the program was slipping. I think they know it too. These guys want to win...their careers depend on it. I would expect a much improved team this year or it might be a swan song for some on this staff, if not the whole staff. I will just start worrying about that next season.

I don't care how many times Holbrook has been to the CWS as an assistant, he's not getting the job done here as the head coach.

Also, the thing that bothers me about Holbrook, is the trend of our baseball program under his leadership. He lost a Super Regional his first year, a home regional his second year ( the first home regional I think we have ever lost, I know we lost a SR at the Sarge) and then in his 3rd year we didn't even make the playoffs. That my friends is a downward trend. I can accept anyone of those years in and of themselves but it's the downward trend that really concerns me.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
So you would fire Nick Saban? No arguing that his program has been on a downward trend.

Reactions: rpp2001
Maneiri did not make the postseason in 2011. However he had already won a national title in 2009. His situation is nothing like Holbrook's.

So you would fire Nick Saban? No arguing that his program has been on a downward trend.

Of course not, because Nick Saban has won two national championships. He's been there done that, Holbrook has not done anything at USC as a head coach except take it down hill from word go. I mean nothing.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
Also add Cal State Fullerton and Virginia as first time head coaches. It's not always about hiring a head coach with previous experience. Half of the CWS teams have first time head coaches. Reading their bio's, Holbrook had just as good or better resume.

Well, to your point then, how come Holbrook hasn't been to the CWS. You're saying that there are a number of 1st year head coaches in the CWS. Where are Holbrook's accomplishments for being handed the premier program in the nation?

Ray doesn't know what he is doing when it comes to hiring a head coach. The humble guy that Tanner is, he probably thinks because he was able to run a successful baseball team someone else can easily just pick up and do it as well. Nope. Not that easy. Not anyone can do that kind of a job even with the benefit of being recognized as one of the elite programs.

I think there were any number of head coaches that could have won the CWS that would have taken the Carolina job.

You "think" some coaches "could" have won the cws? Come on man, just let the holbrook era play out. Three years doesn't tell us much. There is not a single program out there that has made a super every year. People think our program is somehow superior to all the other cws champions. Don't forget Oregon State also won back to back championships. If we miss postseason next year holbrook is gone. So why worry about it now?

You "think" some coaches "could" have won the cws? Come on man, just let the holbrook era play out. Three years doesn't tell us much. There is not a single program out there that has made a super every year. People think our program is somehow superior to all the other cws champions. Don't forget Oregon State also won back to back championships. If we miss postseason next year holbrook is gone. So why worry about it now?

Like some coaches are winning now in the CWS, that were playing in the CWS when we won our NC.

I honestly don't know what you're saying. You think there is a coach in this cws that would have come to USC?

There is not one person that I know that didn't think the Holbrook hire was not a good one. I know his resume was absolutely flawless except head coaching experience. He had everything else across the board. The results so far are not good but it is not going to change so why beat a dead horse. If Holbrook and team, can make it to the CWS next year it will still not please some unless he wins it all. It's too big of a long shot to expect a national championship just because you make the CWS. I think a regional should be expected....a Super would be very good.....the CWS the ceiling...and a national championship be the next to impossible dream. That I could live with....

People are blaming the wrong person. Blame Tanner if you want to blame someone. Not for hiring Holbrook, but for stepping down in the first place. You cant just replace a coach like him.

Well, to your point then, how come Holbrook hasn't been to the CWS. You're saying that there are a number of 1st year head coaches in the CWS. Where are Holbrook's accomplishments for being handed the premier program in the nation?

O'Connor from Virginia was hired in 2004. It took him until 2009 to get to CWS
Vanderhook from Cal State Fullerton took five years to get to Omaha(this year). Lost home regional in 2011. Lost to mighty AUSTIN PEAY in 2012. Super regional loss to UCLA in 2013. Lost to Ok. State in regional 2014. Plays in The Big Wet conference- not exactly SEC.
O'Sullivan at Florida has the best overall record of these coaches. However, after 3 straight CWS appearances (2010, 2011, and 2012) he lost in regionals in 2013 and 2014. By your expectations, he should have been fired last year when he couldn't get out of his own regional. In 2013, he had a 29-30 record - LOSING SEASON after having been to CWS???? Fire THE BUM.
Corbin at Vanderbilt did not make a regional in his first or third year. He has been extremely successful since then but he is not on the same recruiting field as the other SEC coaches. With their endowment system, they get players with more potential because they can give full rides. But still, he didn't even make a regional in his 1st or 3rd year.

Now, having said all that, there is nothing I or anyone else can say to you and the other Holbrook Haters that can or will change your mind. Haters gonna hate.
Am I happy with this years results?? NO!!!! Am I happy with this years hitting?? NO!! Was I happy with this years pitching?? NO!! Was I happy with this years fielding?? NO!! But, you don't fire a head coach in the third year just because you had one bad season.
I was in Omaha in 2010 and 2011. I was in Chapel Hill in 2013 when we were one play away from Omaha, but didn't get it done. I have missed not being at my spot behind the corner of the third base dugout for the regionals and having friends text and say "You are on tv again". NO, I am not happy with this years results. But the man deserves at least one more year.

Reactions: rpp2001
We need to host and win a regional next year for hi to keep his job.

You think so? The reason to worry is this. Will he fire Holbrook ever or will he insist on hanging on to a bad coach for years and years because of his personal regard for the man and his stubborn refusal to give up on him?

If I were to worry about something it wouldn't be tanner handling our baseball program. I also believe Holbrook can get it done. How Monte Lee does at Clemson will have the biggest impact on how successful Holbrook is imo. Tanner locked down the state of SC while leggett often went out of state for his talent.

People are blaming the wrong person. Blame Tanner if you want to blame someone. Not for hiring Holbrook, but for stepping down in the first place. You cant just replace a coach like him.
I think this pretty unrealistic. Just because we loved, admired, and respected Ray as a head coach of our Gamecock baseball team does not in any way mean that he can't move on to AD if that is his dream/goal, which is most definitely was according to Ray himself. People set goals and move on. Just because of being disgruntled about the way the most recent season turned out is no reason to regret that Ray did not stay head coach. I can't fathom why people would take this view, but I have seen it expressed on here before. We as a fan base have no right to tell a coach what position he or she can or can't go after.

I think this pretty unrealistic. Just because we loved, admired, and respected Ray as a head coach of our Gamecock baseball team does not in any way mean that he can't move on to AD if that is his dream/goal, which is most definitely was according to Ray himself. People set goals and move on. Just because of being disgruntled about the way the most recent season turned out is no reason to regret that Ray did not stay head coach. I can't fathom why people would take this view, but I have seen it expressed on here before. We as a fan base have no right to tell a coach what position he or she can or can't go after.

I agree with you. I'm happy with/for Ray. However, in reality his leaving is what caused this.

Reactions: RayGilda
If I were to worry about something it wouldn't be tanner handling our baseball program. I also believe Holbrook can get it done. How Monte Lee does at Clemson will have the biggest impact on how successful Holbrook is imo. Tanner locked down the state of SC while leggett often went out of state for his talent.
When does Tanner pull the plug though? You can believe in something until your blue in the face but if it doesn't happen time and time again you eventually look back at it like you were an idiot to believe in something when signs were all around you that you were wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT