ADVERTISEMENT

CFP committee: No path to playoffs for G5 teams

GarnetBeamer

Dec 7, 2020
That's essentially the message they sent by placing Cincy at #6. With their remaining schedule, there's really no chance for them to crack the top 4. If they won't let Cincy in this year, they aren't letting any G5 team in.

This is a perfect justification to move to an 8-team playoff. Let someone like a Cincy *prove* they belong in the conversation.

I guess I just don't see the point of expanding the playoffs to make teams feel better about themselves. No matter how good they may be, nobody thinks Cincy would be able to compete with Bama or UGA this year. So what's the point in expanding the playoffs just to include teams who don't stand a chance at winning it all? Playoff expansion is going the way of bowl proliferation. Used to be getting a bowl meant you had a truly good season. Now, getting a bowl only means you don't completely suck. But teams making the Hagedorn Manure Spreader Bowl can still say "we're a bowl team" as if it's an accomplishment. It's just all cosmetic. I guess it's just trickle down of entitlement culture.

I guess I just don't see the point of expanding the playoffs to make teams feel better about themselves. No matter how good they may be, nobody thinks Cincy would be able to compete with Bama or UGA this year. So what's the point in expanding the playoffs just to include teams who don't stand a chance at winning it all? Playoff expansion is going the way of bowl proliferation. Used to be getting a bowl meant you had a truly good season. Now, getting a bowl only means you don't completely suck. But teams making the Hagedorn Manure Spreader Bowl can still say "we're a bowl team" as if it's an accomplishment. It's just all cosmetic. I guess it's just trickle down of entitlement culture.
My Poulan Reptile Eater Bowl can top your Hagedorn Manure Spreader Bowl any day of the week.

• Haha
Reactions: GarnetBeamer
5stm8w.jpg

There are often legit arguments between the 4th and 5th best teams. There are 5th best teams that have some good arguments they could win it all. The arguments between the 8th and 9th best teams won't matter all that much.

There are often legit arguments between the 4th and 5th best teams. There are 5th best teams that have some good arguments they could win it all. The arguments between the 8th and 9th best teams won't matter all that much.

I don't disagree with that. What we've seen from the playoffs so far is that there's a pretty steep drop-off even from #s 1 and 2 to #s2 and 4. A fair number of the semifinal games have been noncompetitive. I understand it's all about money, at the end of the day, but from the perspective of the schools, programs like Cincy are miffed that they aren't included, even they have a 0% chance of winning it all.

I don't disagree with that. What we've seen from the playoffs so far is that there's a pretty steep drop-off even from #s 1 and 2 to #s2 and 4. A fair number of the semifinal games have been noncompetitive. I understand it's all about money, at the end of the day, but from the perspective of the schools, programs like Cincy are miffed that they aren't included, even they have a 0% chance of winning it all.
Which is why the 8 game playoff is the sweet spot for me. 4 not enough, 16 too many.

Reactions: TAV31 and chief2791
Everybody outside of the Cincy fanbase knows Cincy isn't the best college football team in the nation, so I'm not bothered in the least that they have no shot at the national championship.

Truth is, they aren't even the #6 team in the country

Everybody outside of the Cincy fanbase knows Cincy isn't the best college football team in the nation, so I'm not bothered in the least that they have no shot at the national championship.

Truth is, they aren't even the #6 team in the country

Yeah, it's definitely a courtesy ranking.

So why play the schedule at all? Why didn't we just have Alabama play Georgia in week one to determine this year's champion? Why should any school ever play a team that is better than they are if we know the outcome beforehand? Sometimes the little guys, through better coaching, strategies, or even just dumb luck, wind up beating teams that they should have no chance against (we've been on both sides of that). Personally, I'd like to see what Cincinnati could do against the bigger programs. They might get killed, but that would at least end the argument. Then again, they might win. Anybody know what Coastal's odds were to win the World Series in 2016?

It's likely there was also some intent here by the committee to force the expansion discussion. Snubbing Cincy will serve as fodder for the "expand the playoffs" crowd.

So why play the schedule at all? Why didn't we just have Alabama play Georgia in week one to determine this year's champion? Why should any school ever play a team that is better than they are if we know the outcome beforehand? Sometimes the little guys, through better coaching, strategies, or even just dumb luck, wind up beating teams that they should have no chance against (we've been on both sides of that). Personally, I'd like to see what Cincinnati could do against the bigger programs. They might get killed, but that would at least end the argument. Then again, they might win. Anybody know what Coastal's odds were to win the World Series in 2016?

Nobody had to change the rules to get Coastal in the playoffs.

Nice. The carpetbaggers of college football with their noxious views wave something shiny like the CFP in front of idiots, then do their best to keep out deserving teams. I hope anyone even remotely responsible for the CFP gets an Ebola/gonorrhea hybrid that remains untreatable.

Is Cincy a definite "does not deserve it" team? They beat the only top ten team they played, and (I know it doesn't count except as perception) played georgia really well in a bowl last year, right?

I guess I'm thinking I wouldn't mind seeing them face off against a top 4 team to see them prove themselves.

This was a pretty obvious message to the G5. If there is any appetite for including a pathway to the CFP for them, it will require an expanded field with a slot for the team highest ranked out of the G5. Then, G5 teams, which have their own set of problems, can seek to adjust schedules to work their way in.

But I don't think we get there. They have been told they are not wanted at this table.

This was a pretty obvious message to the G5. If there is any appetite for including a pathway to the CFP for them, it will require an expanded field with a slot for the team highest ranked out of the G5. Then, G5 teams, which have their own set of problems, can seek to adjust schedules to work their way in.

But I don't think we get there. They have been told they are not wanted at this table.

That will be made abundantly clear when the P5 break off to have their own title.

....March Madness is calling.

That's a good point. Excluding the G5 totally removes the Cinderella that makes March Madness. We all love a good upset, and given what many have said here-its almost a foregone conclusion who gets in year to year-the possibility of David/Goliath provides some drama.

Using that logic, might as well contract March Madness to 16 teams or less.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
This is a perfect justification to move to an 8-team playoff. Let someone like a Cincy *prove* they belong in the conversation.
I wish there was an 8 team playoff....but I still don't think it would justify.
I know schedules are made out years in advance, but if you think your program is worthy....schedule just 2 SEC schools per year as non conf. if you're one of these teams. If you can win both, and go undefeated in your normal conference....maybe can be considered.
But...apples to kiwis when considering any g5 schedule in comparison to say....Vanderbilt's schedule year in and out.

I wish there was an 8 team playoff....but I still don't think it would justify.
I know schedules are made out years in advance, but if you think your program is worthy....schedule just 2 SEC schools per year as non conf. if you're one of these teams. If you can win both, and go undefeated in your normal conference....maybe can be considered.
But...apples to kiwis when considering any g5 schedule in comparison to say....Vanderbilt's schedule year in and out.
How many SEC schools would be amenable to scheduling a high-ranking mid-major? The mids have enough problems scheduling P5 schools in hoops as it is.

....March Madness is calling.

Completely different sports. What works for baseball works for baseball. What works for basketball works for basketball. That doesn't mean those models should be considered for football.

LMAO. The exact same argument made for the 4 team playoff. Yet here we are....ppl still whining about who can't get in the playoff.

The last two national champs -- Bama and LSU -- went undefeated and destroyed everyone in the playoff. They were clearly the best teams in the country in their respective years. That's the point of a system to determine the national champion. I don't give a crap about which team was 8th best.

Just think about it: If UGA goes undefeated during the regular season and beats Bama in the SEC championship, do they really have to win 3 more games to prove they're the national champ? That's what an 8 team playoff would require. Utterly ridiculous.

Reactions: funktavious
LMAO. The exact same argument made for the 4 team playoff. Yet here we are....ppl still whining about who can't get in the playoff.

The last two national champs -- Bama and LSU -- went undefeated and destroyed everyone in the playoff. They were clearly the best teams in the country in their respective years. That's the point of a system to determine the national champion. I don't give a crap about which team was 8th best.

Just think about it: If UGA goes undefeated during the regular season and beats Bama in the SEC championship, do they really have to win 3 more games to prove they're the national champ? That's what an 8 team playoff would require. Utterly ridiculous.

Right. The goal posts have shifted. When people were arguing for the playoff, they said we needed the 4-team playoff to truly determine the best team in the country. So far, the playoff is 100% successful in that respect. NOW the argument has shifted to: we just need to give more teams a chance. And, when they expand it to 8 teams, the #9 team will be whining. When the expand it to 16 teams, the #17 team will be whining. At some point you just gotta say, if you're good enough, you would have shown it in the regular season.

Reactions: funktavious
Completely different sports. What works for baseball works for baseball. What works for basketball works for basketball. That doesn't mean those models should be considered for football.
If I'm not mistaken, the NFL has a playoff system. And so does NCAA FCS. Nobody is clamoring to end those as irrelevant or go to a 4-team playoff.

Division 1-A football is different than 1-AA. It was the greatest sport ever and had no need for a playoff. All it needed was a few little tweaks to make it perfect.

With that sort of reasoning, why have a post-season at all? Just let the records stand and let the "voters" choose a national champion.

If UGA (or any other team) wants to be national champs, they should have to win as many games as they need to in order to be national champs.

Competition breeds excellence, correct?

Cincy is a hard sell for me. Sure they beat Notre Dame but they haven't played anyone else with a pulse and struggled against teams like Navy. Does anyone believe UGA or Bama would have struggled to beat Navy? Either team would beat Navy by 40.

Reactions: DeBoer31
With that sort of reasoning, why have a post-season at all? Just let the records stand and let the "voters" choose a national champion.

If UGA (or any other team) wants to be national champs, they should have to win as many games as they need to in order to be national champs.

Competition breeds excellence, correct?

It's all about what you want.

If you actually care about excellence and want to know who the best team in college football is, the 4 team playoff has done that perfectly.

If all you want are chances for a fluke upset, the 16 team playoff is more to your liking.

Agree, and don't agree. I understand that argument, but I think of what happened in World soccer this summer when a group of teams wanted to set up a super league. The response to such elitism was swift, angry and worldwide. Yes, totally different sport, locale and mindset.

But, it's still sport. We love the little guy. We love the underdog. It's elemental in the beauty of sport. If they remove the little teams from March Madness, "One Shining Moment" becomes "No shining Moments" for many. The Road model makes money, expands the universe of interest and becomes almost folkloric.

Expand to eight with a G5 slot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT