ADVERTISEMENT

Columbia area: Time Warner vs ATT Uverse

cockgun

Aug 3, 2002
Performance and does ATT include the SEC channel as well. I am looking for internet and TV bundle. Thanks.

Well, if you live in Lexington, ATT U Verse is not avail. TWC sucks. And, SEC channel yes but SEC+ no. BTW, + is where many of our games are broadcast. Baseball especially.

I have had both and ATT wins but I still hate them. Long story, but ATT cares little about its customers, at least in my experience. Verizon FIOS would be a big improvement but not available to me.

I'm in Harbison area and have had ATT for 5 months...so far happy with it. Time Warner sucks.

TWC and Uverse both have the SEC Network. However, TWC does not have the SEC Network + channel of WatchESPN (where a lot of Gamecocks basketball/baseball games are broadcast).

Uverse is not available in all areas, and your internet only covers 250 GBs per month (they charge extra for overages). That may seem like a lot but if you stream TV/movies via Netflix or watch any athletic events via WatchESPN online via a PC, Tablet, Gaming Device, or similar set top box (ie Roku), the GBs add up very quickly, and you could get surprised by a big bill. Current customers may be grandfathered into unlimited data, but on all correspondence/advertisements I get from Uverse, it lists the 250 GB limit on internet. Their internet is also not as fast as Time Warner Cables (I frequently see their advertised internet as 6 Mbps which is less than 1MB... not enough to reliably stream media or do anything that's data intensive over the internet).

I don't know why so many people say they hate Time Warner. I've had them for years in two different locations. I've only had my cable go out a handful of times in 10 years with them, and I've never had any complaints about their internet (I get 20 Mbps down/ 2 Mbps up with no data caps, throttling, etc.) The 2-3 times I've had issues and had to call their customer support have been 50/50 competent to incompetent call handlers, so maybe that's why people dislike them (poor customer support). Cost isn't bad. They tend to offer deals for new customers that last a year or two. Then when they hike the price up after the year or two promo rate, you just call and threaten to switch providers, and they'll give you whatever promo rate they're offering at that time.

Re: Ditch 'em both and go with DirecTV

I agree. I've had Directv since 1994, when they first arrived in Columbia area.

I use ATT U-verse for phone and Internet.

Been very happy.

Thanks. I can not have a satellite dish in my neighbor. I have Dish though at my lake house and it is great.

Originally posted by cockgun:

Thanks. I can not have a satellite dish in my neighbor. I have Dish though at my lake house and it is great.
Do you mean your neighborhood, cockgun? Why not?

If you live in a fully-detached dwelling, the FCC's OTARD (Over-the-Air Reception Devices) rule gives you the right to put up a satellite dish or a regular TV antenna on your roof. The OTARD rule supersedes any HOA regulation telling you that you can't. If you live in a condo, you may be able to install a dish or antenna on your balcony or patio - visit the linked site below for details.

Yes, you can put up that antenna - Article from USA Today

Thanks, yes I meant neighborhood. It is a gated community and the rules prohibit dish antennas as well as political signs and other things.

Originally posted by TheBangCock:

Uverse is not available in all areas, and your internet only covers 250 GBs per month (they charge extra for overages).
No they don't...I have Uverse and...no...they don't.

Originally posted by TheBangCock:

Their internet is also not as fast as Time Warner Cables (I frequently
see their advertised internet as 6 Mbps which is less than 1MB... not
enough to reliably stream media or do anything that's data intensive
over the internet).
Please stop...you obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

This post was edited on 2/24 6:55 PM by GamecockWarrior

Thanks, yes I meant neighborhood. It is a gated community and the rules prohibit dish antennas as well as political signs and other things.
If you live in a stand-alone, fully-detached dwelling, they are breaking the law by prohibiting you from erecting a satellite dish or TV antenna. They can prohibit you from erecting political signs, American flags, etc., but not TV antennas and satellite dishes. Seriously. Check the link in my previous post.

I did read it and feel that you are correct. It's just that we have a nice neighborhood and the rules are meant to be followed. I don't want to be the first. It is a well kept area and most people follow what was agreed to. As I said, I have Dish at my second home and agree that it is great. I'll just stick with TW if I have too.

I hate them just because I have to call them every year and threaten to switch to get a better rate. Thats why people dont like them. Service is great . Product is great. If they were just loyal to their customers. Never seen anything so stupid.

I did read it and feel that you are correct. It's just that we have a nice neighborhood and the rules are meant to be followed. I don't want to be the first. It is a well kept area and most people follow what was agreed to. As I said, I have Dish at my second home and agree that it is great. I'll just stick with TW if I have too.
I understand. Few people want to be the first. Actually, it's your HOA which isn't following the rules and they may not even be aware of it, as likely are most of the residents. Well, we know of at least one resident who is aware.
wink.r191677.gif

From what I've read, HOAs can regulate where on your property you put your satellite dish or antenna (i.e., "out of sight"), so long as the location does not impede signal reception, but the burden of proof is on the HOA.

For all we know, there may be many residents in your community who have antennas in their attic. I guess if you're close enough to the transmitter towers (those for Columbia are off I-20 near the Richland-Kershaw county line), the signals are strong enough to penetrate the roofs and an attic antenna works.

Originally posted by atl-cock:
I understand. Few people want to be the first. Actually, it's your HOA which isn't following the rules and they may not even be aware of it, as likely are most of the residents. Well, we know of at least one resident who is aware.
wink.r191677.gif

From what I've read, HOAs can regulate where on your property you put your satellite dish or antenna (i.e., "out of sight"), so long as the location does not impede signal reception, but the burden of proof is on the HOA.

For all we know, there may be many residents in your community who have antennas in their attic. I guess if you're close enough to the transmitter towers (those for Columbia are off I-20 near the Richland-Kershaw county line), the signals are strong enough to penetrate the roofs and an attic antenna works.
It seems to me this guy is like many of us who like our neighbors and don't want to piss them off by erecting a tacky dish on the roof. I know my HOA would sue in a heartbeat. We might lose, but then I'd have to pay part of the cost of suing myself when we lose (as the HOA). Not a good idea. Just saying.

What TWC does is they keep jacking up the prices on you if you are not a new customer. Also, their equipment sucks. Their box is always crapping out. With their DVR you can only record/watch 2 things at a time. They charge $8 to rent a modem and it's not even DOCSIS 3.0. They come up with these cheap packages as alternatives but you will be missing channels you want, and you can't decently stream anything lower than the 15mbps standard internet. It's better than having a GB internet cap though or having to sign a contract that still allows them jack up prices and you can't just leave without paying through the nose. I wouldn't be upset, if TWC was just not such curmudgeons when it came to negotiating with with ESPN. No only were they last one of the last ones to cut a deal for the SEC Network. They were one of the last ones to even allow their customers to watch ESPN online at ALL. ESPN3 was on available for YEARS and they refused to let their customers enjoy it. They finally got it worked out after a nasty negotiation. Now they are doing it again. They say they are fighting for the customers. Well, fight harder and win because right now you are keeping me from watching programming I want to watch. Just charge and extra 5 bucks for the SEC network and give us all of it.

This post was edited on 2/25 4:07 PM by ReadR00ster

This post was edited on 2/25 4:08 PM by ReadR00ster

Originally posted by USCRBCOCK:

Originally posted by atl-cock:
wink.r191677.gif

It seems to me this guy is like many of us who like our neighbors and don't want to piss them off by erecting a tacky dish on the roof. I know my HOA would sue in a heartbeat. We might lose, but then I'd have to pay part of the cost of suing myself when we lose (as the HOA). Not a good idea. Just saying.
And I know that your HOA would lose in such a lawsuit. Hands down. Most HOAs, when shown the relevant regulations, adjust their bylaws to accommodate the residents' right to erect a dish and or antenna rather than foolishly suing.

I do feel sorry for you if you have neighbors who are that sensitive regarding TV receiving devices.

Originally posted by Cybercock:
I hate them just because I have to call them every year and threaten to switch to get a better rate. Thats why people dont like them. Service is great . Product is great. If they were just loyal to their customers. Never seen anything so stupid.
I have to admit that after I switched to DTV from TWC I went by their office to turn in my box. When they asked why I told them I switched. It was then that I was told they would have lowered my rate if I had called. That offended me to no end.....

If you could have lowered my rate you should have just done so without me having to ask or drop your sorry arse.....

I still have phone and internet with them and have no issues except I think the rates are too high. Maybe DTC will soon come out with Phone and Internet and when they do I'll drop TWC on that as well.....

Performance and does ATT include the SEC channel as well. I am looking for internet and TV bundle. Thanks.
I like TWC for the high speed internet, and TV and phone. bundle.. But I really don't care for price, the extra channels like HBO, CM and what other movie channels... I can get netflix for that... I pay about $200 per month for the TWC bundle and if they merge with Comcast, I will do something...

I don't know switching to dish or ATT will get me the high speed internet I need for work. I like my landline, because I'm older and use to landlines.

Plus, I expect the net neutrality vote will increase my bill and slow down my high speed internet, whereas TWC will sell you super duper high speed internet at a higher price to get you somewhat fast high speed internet.

This is all you need to know about people who want Net neutrality and this will effect us to watch Carolina Sports or SEC sports..

Must see interview with Tumblr CEO: Net neutrality

Too bad AT&T isn't here in Pawleys .Island. I have been paying between $360 - $425 per month for TWC bundled for years.

Originally posted by section2cock:

Too bad AT&T isn't here in Pawleys .Island. I have been paying between $360 - $425 per month for TWC bundled for years.
I really feel sorry for you. I was thinking of moving BACK to PI, not now tho.
I truly feel sorry for all of us when the BHO internet Intrusion Act of 2015 consisting of some 360 pages of NEW Fed regs. Comes into play. maybe I will start new thread on this in Small Talk. (Before BHO bans ALL of our free speech)
take World ,,hecklers advice above and get some temporary help. Good luck.

Originally posted by cocknjax:

Originally posted by section2cock:

I really feel sorry for you. I was thinking of moving BACK to PI, not now tho.
I truly feel sorry for all of us when the BHO internet Intrusion Act of 2015 consisting of some 360 pages of NEW Fed regs. Comes into play. maybe I will start new thread on this in Small Talk. (Before BHO bans ALL of our free speech)
take World ,,hecklers advice above and get some temporary help. Good luck.
$360 - $425 a month??? WOW!!! I feel like I'm getting a bargain paying $200 a month for bundling Internet, TV & Phone...

I need to tell my wife we're getting a sweet deal and I'm saving money...
happy.r191677.gif

When I complained to AT&T about the slow speed and when was U-verse going to truly be universal? They said there are no plans to add any coverage area to the U-Verse coverage areas. I despise them more every day.

Originally posted by bitemeiptay:
When I complained to AT&T about the slow speed and when was U-verse going to truly be universal? They said there are no plans to add any coverage area to the U-Verse coverage areas. I despise them more every day.
Not as much as I hate them. When I moved to Columbia ATT promised that my part of town had U-verse. Instead, once I had moved in they determined that U-verse wasn't available in my area and they weren't sure when, if ever, it would. So my service option was only a dial up modem and no TV service. They sent the modem to me in advance of the move, but I called them and said dial up wasn't acceptable. When I tried to return it to them (it had never been taken out of the box) they claimed not to have received it and started charging me for the service every month until some 4 months later they miraculously found that I had sent it. This went on for 4 months and when I did not pay the monthly bill they sent, I was turned over to a collection agency. Never had their service even for one day and returned their modem almost immediately but I was billed over $100, and the bills kept coming no matter how many times I was told that my account was closed and I owed nothing. Got a call from the collection agency yesterday. Still demanding to be paid. I guess ATT never gives up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT